RIP Maggie

Ian&Beth

Boing Boing Rob!

Your spot on. It isn't always about the headlines, a true reflection of a person is what is done away from the limelight. During the MP expenses scandal, where MP's were claiming for almost any and everything ( adult movies, duck houses, additional houses) it was disclosed, not by her I might add, that she would audit the household claims, even refusing to claim for Downing Street items, she insisted to pay for them out of her own pocket.

Integrity, honesty, and a backbone that few can match.

Simply a very sad day, a true capitalist and as has been mentioned, she saved the UK from the downward spiral. I was 6 when she came to power however speaking to others older than me, they hold her in high regard for kicking the UK back into shape and setting the country on the track to a very strong recovery.

Shame on those celebrating her passing.

Can't say I'm sad at her passing - the most divisive politician in history. If you had money and were middle class you were laughing, if you were working class you got screwed - typical conservative!

As someone quite rightly pointed out she could have avoided the Falklands war but used it to increase her waning popularity.

She won't be missed.

Guest mature1_arnie

I left the old country long before Margret Thatcher came to power as an outsider I think did some good for England at a time when it was needed, I was a purchasing officer at the time & could not get supply's out of England because of all the strike's but I think she believed only she was right toward the end of her rain & went too far with some changes but like us all our time passes but I don't believe in making any body an angel just because they have died.

Maggie was not a very likeable Woman(I never liked her)Many of her ideals were objectionable to the populace through much of her reign,however she was a strong Leader who had the Courage of her convictions.As has been said,the Woman had gonads!I too doubt if the UK would be in such a sorry state today if her successors were of that ilk.It is my opinion that Blair effectively destroyed any chance the UK had of a turnaround in fortunes.

Guest sithewindows

Great Britain was a greater place then than now!

I thought she was an awful woman. She certainly didn't make me feel proud to be British. The only good thing she did was to talk to Gorbachov, and help bring about the end of the cold war. I'm old enough to remember Greenham Common, the Miners Strike, the poll tax.....

What anyone thinks of Maggie..... What ever your political views, irrespective of how the policy's of the time effected your own life or your family, we/you/the British public voted her in to power, with the mandate to do what she did.... check the results.. we had had enough of sitting in the dark on a winters evening playing cards by candlelight and working a three days in a week. In 1974 the torys had a greater % of the vote. (by .7%). but labour got in on more seats. 1979 Maggie won by 7% more votes.. not a lot, but in politics..1983 she won by 14.8% more %votes lead than anyone in the last 100 years I believe. 1987 she won by 11.4%.. 1992 and she'd resigned now! and major held it with 7..5%.1997 labour got in with 12.5%. 2001 labour 9%. 2005 labour 2.8%.......... 1945 Churchill after bring us though world war two LOST by 13.5%.. to finally be voted in after 3 elections by a minus 0.8 % in 1951. Maggie as the leader of the torys never lost an election!. we have all seen "billy Elliot" or "Brassed off" and felt sorry for the situations.. I have also come to Australia and talked to people about the industry I worked in in the 1980's and always had the remark about being on strike!!. I did twenty years in that industry and never once been on strike or crossed a picket line.. but that's what people thought of us the British worker/voting public.. personal I was better off before May 1997.. but was that the government, or just the way it went? when the balance of who is controlling the country changes there are always winners and losers.. but in 1979, 1983 and 1987 that's what the British voting public wanted fact. That's a democracy.. and you don't always get what you want in a democracy....Yesterday I was less proud of my British passport seeing people drinking and dancing in the street to someone's death... and most of the people dancing and popping corks wouldn't have even been born when she resigned, never mind during the three day week. I wonder what she would have said if ken Livingstone had died before her.. I guess some thing a long the lines of what she said about Michael Foot. The power of the vote... use it wisely....... right back to job hunting... where's my bike?

Edited by Trickyshel

Maggie was not a very likeable Woman(I never liked her)Many of her ideals were objectionable to the populace through much of her reign,however she was a strong Leader who had the Courage of her convictions.As has been said,the Woman had gonads!I too doubt if the UK would be in such a sorry state today if her successors were of that ilk.It is my opinion that Blair effectively destroyed any chance the UK had of a turnaround in fortunes.

I have to admit that the Blair/Brown legacy is not good. They did a lot of harm, de-regulated the finance sector too much, sold off lots of the country's gold reserves, plundered pension funds etc. However, Margaret Thatcher was such a unappealing person, maybe many people on here are too young to remember how condescending she was, there was a great snippet shown on Channel 9 news yesterday of her treatment of George Negus, it makes you cringe.... I wonder if JK Rowling used Maggie as inspiration for Dolores Umbridge in Harry Potter?

I think David Owen, former leader of the SDP summed her up quite well

"Her strengths, in part, proved to be weaknesses: huge insensitivity to non-achievers, a narrowness of vision, and certainty that she was right."

Enough said.

Guest Andig

God rest her. i was 9 when she came to power, i am a working class and have to work hard for every thing i need for my family. but my mum wouldn't be where she is with her own home had she not brought her council house. i have spoken with a couple of older people and only yesterday a security guard said that in the seventies he went to send money to his son in america, and had it confiscated and a warning letter from the Bank of England warning him to not remove his money from England!!!!

if Maggie had not opened up the freedom how many would have been able to have their own money to allow a move to Oz?

i might be in the City next week, still plumbing but might shoot over and she her at St. Paul's. one last moment in history before i leave this poor over crowed country!!

Edited by Andig

This is a quote from Lord Howe who formed part of MTs government which I think IMO is the best quote Ive heard

"her tragedy is that she may be remembered less for the brilliance of her achievements than for the recklessness with which, towards the end, she sought to impose upon others the sovereignty of her own opinions".