Baroness Thatcher's funeral tv coverage

barbaitch

I want to watch full tv coverage of Baroness Thatcher's funeral on Wednesday, 17 April. We don't have Foxtel, so won't be able to watch UK coverage. I've googled ABC to see if they're covering the full event, but not getting anywhere for some reason. I read on PIA/PIO a few months ago that it's possible to watch live UK Football (soccer) online without subscription, so wondered if I could do the same for Maggie's send-off? Don't think I'm being flippant here. Just trying to sound positive. Feel quite sad actually. Another part of my life has just gone.... Thanks so much PIA-people. x

Edited by barbaitch

Guest Chris_J

Not sure if I will get in trouble for posting this, but try something on your PC called expat shield. It uses a proxy server in the UK and fools bbc and itv player etc to thinking you're in the UK. Make sure you have AV software and it is up to date and something like Spybot search and destroy too.

Not sure if I will get in trouble for posting this, but try something on your PC called expat shield. It uses a proxy server in the UK and fools bbc and itv player etc to thinking you're in the UK. Make sure you have AV software and it is up to date and something like Spybot search and destroy too.

Hi Chris_J: Thanks so much for your reply and suggestion. I'm going to have a look at expat shield, although don't know about AV software. Can it be downloaded, or does it come with windows 8? Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm not very computer-savvy (I usually get guy-friends to solve my pc problems, so don't have much of a clue outside of emailing and stuff like this... but don't want to bother them this time as thought I'd have a try myself). I've only had my new PC four weeks, so maybe AV software is in here somewhere??? LOL! Anyway, I'm going to check out expat shield and see how far I get with it. Fingers crossed. Out of interest, I just checked out SkyNewsUk via google (my OH suggested it) and was so pleased to see that I could watch Live news - so I had a five-minute look and now feel hopeful that if all else fails, I'll be able to watch it online that way. Thanks again, Chris. I wish you and your family the very best. bh x

Hi again Chris_J: Oops! Have just realized AV means Anti-Virus protection, so feel a bit daft about wittering on about it in my reply to your previous post! Apologies for that. Yes, I do have AV protection: it came with the pc, and is called Windows Defender. I swore by Microsoft Security Essentials in England, but it won't run on W8 for some reason. Btw, I did download Expat Shield a bit ago, but after it had finished a message came up saying 'This program has compatibility issues (with) HotSpotShield/AnchorFreeInc' while I was waiting to get a new IP address after the download! Don't know what to do now (aside from feeling a bit embarrassed about the AV thing!) Anyway, thanks again for your kind suggestion, Chris! Much appreciated.

Just seen that ABC News 24 is showing it.....

Hi Hutchy: Many thanks for that. I've just checked to see if we can get ABC News 24 on our tv and am chuffed to see we can!! My daughter has a basic Foxtel package with a handful of progs which suit us ok but doesn't include real-time UK TV progs, so I'm really pleased to know we'll be able to watch Lady Thatcher's final farewelll on Wednesday. If ABC News 24 is anything like BBC News 24 and SkyNews 24, it should show unbroken coverage. Hope so, anyway. Thanks again and all good wishes to you and yours. bhx

Guest guest8040

Imo I think it will be a circus with people being disrespectful all along the route - if you liked her I wouldn't do it. I'm indifferent about it so wouldnt watch anyway so glad we're flying that day

Just watched it, as I've said before I was never a fan of Maggie's but I wanted to see it. Luckily there were no obvious demonstrations. Lots of politicians there from the past looking very old now. I stopped watching the ABC News 24 coverage as they didn't stop talking, some journalists just seem to like the sound of their own voice and seem to want to fill the silences with chatter. Also they were talking politics which just didn't seem appropriate for a funeral. Sky News was transmitting the Sky News UK coverage, which was pretty good, even though not in HD.

The funeral itself was pretty weird, very little emotion, no love, as if nobody really knew what to say or how they were meant to act. Yesterday I went to a funeral here for a member of my husband's family and the contrast between the 2 was huge.

​Didn't it look cold though, virtually no leaves on the trees, I know it's been a really cold winter and spring but I expected it to be a bit more spring-like.

Just watched it, as I've said before I was never a fan of Maggie's but I wanted to see it. Luckily there were no obvious demonstrations. Lots of politicians there from the past looking very old now. I stopped watching the ABC News 24 coverage as they didn't stop talking, some journalists just seem to like the sound of their own voice and seem to want to fill the silences with chatter. Also they were talking politics which just didn't seem appropriate for a funeral. Sky News was transmitting the Sky News UK coverage, which was pretty good, even though not in HD.

The funeral itself was pretty weird, very little emotion, no love, as if nobody really knew what to say or how they were meant to act. Yesterday I went to a funeral here for a member of my husband's family and the contrast between the 2 was huge.

​Didn't it look cold though, virtually no leaves on the trees, I know it's been a really cold winter and spring but I expected it to be a bit more spring-like.

It is bloody cold lol, spring has forgotten us **