evojoan

Welders/ Boilermakers

Hello

I have read on here that there's a job freeze in Adelaide. We are hoping that our visa comes through so that we can move sometime in August 2013. My husband is a trade qualified welder with over 10 years experience. My questions are does anyone know what the job situation is like for welders in Adelaide and does anyone know of any companies looking to employ welders.

Thanks in advance

Evojoan,

sorry I can't help specifically, certainly the job market is fairly tough here for trades people at the moment, although nothing like the UK. My suggestion would be to try all the usual Aussie job sites and 'bump' this thread every so often.

Good luck with your plans

​NWM

Would really appreciate any help or advice from any welders who have migrated to SA and their experiences, good or bad. Huge thanks

Edited by evojoan
    Spelling mistake

The job market in general is tough, there is not necessarily a 'freeze' in the whole of Adelaide, but there is a visible slow down. People are not leaving permanent jobs as there are fewer permanent jobs to move to, people are holding off on retiring, so these jobs are not becoming available and employers are being more cautious because of the economic climate. Some sectors have holds on recruitment, but not everyone, so for example a new permanent member of staff started this week where my partner works and I secured a casual role this week. I was talking to a recruiter in the transport industry last week and they were saying the companies they dealt with had definitely cut back on perm roles but they were busy because the companies now wanted more temporary casual staff.

I worked on a recruitment project about 2 years ago and they were desperate for welders and boilermakers and were struggling to recruit, but you had to be an Australian citizen. I will send you a couple of adverts through for welders/boilermakers at the weekend to give you an idea of what employers are looking for, with a bit more information.

Guest Guest5035

Being a ex boily from a few years ago, these days you will need tickets in the following to get a good paying job, mig, tig, fcaw, saw, 2g-3g,4g and 4 & 7 welding certificates, confined space and a white card, in fact every card helps. There are a couple in the paper today, but the usual advertisers, samaras etc

stevo

Hi Lynsteve

thanks for the advice. What and where do I get tickets and white card from, do I have to wait until I get to Oz or can I start the process of applying from here. We are coming over on a state sponsored provisional 489 visa, could this cause problems getting welding jobs in yours or anyone elses experience ? Thanks Rick

Guest Guest5035

To be honest mate, i've been out the trade since 94, no money in it then, re cards etc etc can't help there either, look on seek.com for other vacancies, but Samaras are always advertising, read in to that what you want.

Stevo