What Is Too Much On A Forum ?

minty

Well how do I start this thread. Well first I do not want this post deleted but want to put my views across in a calm and thoughtfull way so here goes.

I have recently had a post I put up deleted. Now I have checked with an administrator (wont give the name) and there was nothing wrong with my comment. I wont repeat the comment but I basically said someone's post had a double standard on all of our positions. Nothing more and in reality that's what it was. I did not abuse, belittle, aggravate, I just said in a round about way hey, pot, kettle, black. Like I said admin confirmed there was nothing "wrong" with it.

I was given the reason for it being deleted as it might have upset someone that sounded upset. I've been thinking about this for a while and to be honest its brought me to create this thread and to open a discussion. What is to much on a forum?

Now like I've said I do not want this thread deleted and am writing carefully to try to ensure this does not happen but if a simple post can be deleted because it "might" cause someone to get upset then what's the point in general posting?

This is a great forum (I used to be a mod on it for a short time) and always tried to moderate reasonably and neutrally. I left for a few reasons but one was I actually don't think mods should be long term. Its massively hard to remain neutral and not take sides of friends. In reality humans are just not neutral. Now this is not a dig at mods its just a fact of human nature and like I said I am not posting this for any reason apart from people (including mods and admin) to have a honest debate about. No insults, no personal attacks, just a honest talk (so don't delete it):unsure:.

But I have to ask myself if one person can decide to delete something on no real basis then what's the point. They could hold a grudge against someone, not like someone, be defending a friend. I've certainly seen worse posts left and posted worse that's been taken off.

I've seen worse that mods have posted :policeman:

So lets discuss (mods included):wubclub: and keep it nice so this does not get deleted.

Chris.

Edited by minty

Given you have just discussed moderator and/or admin actions on the open forum, which is covered in the rules, number 7 iirc, this whole thread should be a non starter. But I think you know that already.

I don't wish to comment on it as I don't like to get dragged into discussing moderation or mods on the open forum as usually it doesn't end well. I never did this sort of thing before I was a mod and never would, mod or not modding, now or in the future. Having owned my own websites and forums and posted online for many many years I am long over the whole mod debate. Here, PIO or any other forum I post on.

Mods are damned if we do, damned if we don't. I don't see many people lining up to take the job on either.

From a personal POV, I try to be a blanced, decent, helpful member of this community.

Edited by snifter
Added one line of text

If it was purely deleted because it had the possibility of causing upset to someone, I can think of other threads which could have been deleted long ago.

I think unless it's personal abuse then getting offended or upset by something on a message board is slightly silly.

Snifter thanks for coming on and posting, yes you are right, you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't, its a hard job. An almost impossible job.

I do not see the harm (if people are all sensible) of discussing this though.

I think it would make for a better, more honest, more friendly forum all round.

The world and forums are a democracy. It requires posters and mods. If we cant discuss such topics openly and constructively we have a dictatorship where people can and then do act without question and then break their own rules and that's not right.

Sometimes people though get things wrong (me starting this thread may be one of them) or are not neutral and I do not see why we cannot say so.

Hats of to you for posting, and for what its worth I think you mod ok. You don't seem to put your mod hat on (your saying) as much nowadays which in my opinion is a good thing :notworthy:

Is me saying that or starting this thread really a bad thing ?

Chris.

Blinkin heck Chris, give me one day off please.

Personally this thread should go as it is in breach of a number of forum rules.

I do take on board what you are saying, I will reply but then I will close it otherwise the usual crowd will be along to stick the knife in and I already have ten in my back from earlier today.

Keeping mods out of this, I think the world has gone crazy with political correctness you have to watch everything you say, check what you write a million times in fear that you could be upsetting someone.

The post that was removed wasn't bad (you should see some that are on the sister forum) but I did support the mod in their action. Sometimes, I'm not saying this is the case here, but you have a member who is rock bottom and I mean suicidal, what we may think is an innocent post could be enough to push that member over the edge and I would hate to feel responsible for allowing a post to stay that caused this to happen.

Now in normal cases, yes there are lots of posts and digs we let slide especially if we know the person it is aimed at can give as good as they get. However, we do not allow personal attacks (yours wasn't)

Now with modding, if something needs action taking the mods report the post and wait for other opinions, usually mine, but as you know 7 week plus I'm still in hospital after the big cancer op and I've had surgery 3 more times since, so I haven't been around and I apologise for that, BUT despite what a couple of members think you have a damn good team of mods and without them and their support I would be in a total mess right now.

Anyway hope that explains a little and makes sense if not blame the drugs.

Please feel free to pm me anytime my door is always open :wubclub: Im off to close your thread, nothing personal towards you and at least I didn't delete :biggrin:

You could always start another about political correctness minus the mods ;)

Snifter thanks for coming on and posting, yes you are right, you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't, its a hard job. An almost impossible job.

I do not see the harm (if people are all sensible) of discussing this though.

I think it would make for a better, more honest, more friendly forum all round.

I've seen it tried many many times. Not just here but on just about every other forum I've posted on (and there have been many). It usually doesn't end well. Just sayin.

The world and forums are a democracy. It requires posters and mods. If we cant discuss such topics openly and constructively we have a dictatorship where people can and then do act without question and then break their own rules and that's not right.

Sometimes people though get things wrong (me starting this thread may be one of them) or are not neutral and I do not see why we cannot say so.

I appreciate what you are saying. Not going to say I agree or disagree. That is your view and you are entitled to it.

I know the PM system on any forum sees a lot of action from the membership. I ain't dumb to that. I personally long ago stopped using it as the news alert for anything and everything that might happen on a forum and have done my utmost to remain neutral in terms of what I use the PM system for with members wherever I post. And on this forum also. Forum stuff stays on the forum. End of. Its working well for me and I am happy posting here as a member and as a mod. I don't do drama. Talk to me, have a conversation, I'll talk to you. I don't lie and I'm not a bad person. For whatever reason my PM box doesn't get that much love though. I am not on here to win points or ingratiate myself with certain people or anything like that. And once asked to be a mod I stuck to that for myself. I'm still here because I am migrating, am married to an Aussie and enjoy this forum, its been a great resource, helped me immensely and I like to try to give something back.

Hats of to you for posting, and for what its worth I think you mod ok. You don't seem to put your mod hat on (your saying) as much nowadays which in my opinion is a good thing :notworthy:

Is me saying that or starting this thread really a bad thing ?

Chris.

Thank you.

I do put it on, however I've not had to mod a thread for a long while that has required me to make it quite clear I am moderating it for whatever reason. You can be sure if and when I feel I need to make it clear I am in my work shoes, I'll say so :)

ETA - It appears admin locked this while I was posting this. Mine showed up after the event. Ktee has responded on the modding stuff etc. However I'd like to leave this post to stand.

Edited by snifter