Hello Everyone First time on site --> Reccie Questions

Guest ingyfikry

Guest ingyfikry

Hi everyone

We are doing a reccie in august (melbourne--> GOR --> Adelaide) aiming to move to adelaide on 190 PR visa in Dec2013/Jan2014 just before school starts (me, hubby, kids 9 and 6).

Aiming to:

1. Choose suburb to live and school for kids. Main criteria being safety and being beside the best public primary IB schools to get in school zones. Through internet research, 2 schools (basically rosa park primary vs linden park primary) seem super.

Any feedback on any of these schools and eastern suburbs

2. Any other recommendations for schools or suburbs?

3. We also want to look at car dealers for new / used-small suv/stationwagon. any recommendations?

Thankyou very much and any feedback will be very highly appreciated

Really looking forward to this move and starting new life down under.

Hi there.

Check out the DECS website for schools information.not entirely sure that primary schools are IB accredited, so the best thing is to research thaton the web.

The Easten burbs are lovely,(and a bit pricey, in most cases). the BEST primary school, imo, is Marryatville Primary, but Magill has a good reputation.Burnside is also a good school.

Glenunga High school has a very small catchment area, and is very competative to get in!! they are IB accredited. hope that helps.

Best Eastern burbs.........take your pick, magill, wattle park, roslynpark, erindale, tusmore, all very pleasant; and in easy reach of theCBD.

good luck with your move.

Jane

The primary school my kids go to (Stradbroke Primary - also east, but further north) is an accredited IB school so I suspect the ones mentioned will be as well.

I'd agree that the eastern suburbs can be pricey, but they are all pretty nice. Others to consider that haven't been mentioned already: Norwood, Hazelwood Park, Kensington Gardens, Kensington Park, Beulah (Park?), Leabrook, Maylands, Stoneyfell. If you're thinking long term and want to consider senior schools Glenunga and Marryatville are two of what are generally considered the three best public schools in Adelaide (Adelaide High is the other one). To ensure a place in these schools though you need to live in the catchment area so it's worth checking on myschool.edu.au what the zones for the schools are when considering areas to live if this is important to you. Many of the other eastern suburbs will be in the zone for Norwood Morialta, which is also an IB school and is a good school, but not quite up there with the top three.

We couldn't afford to buy anything we would want to live in in most of the suburbs I've mentioned and ruled others out because they don't have primaries in walking distance. Our compromise was to live in Rostrevor, which is also nice but a bit cheaper and, as long as we are on the right side of the creek, is in the zone for Norwood Morialta.

Guest Bonnydoon7

Hi and welcome to the site. You will need deep pockets to be able to rent/live in most of the eastern suburbs. Realestate.com.au will give you an idea of rentals and purchase prices. They are indeed splendid places to live though, tree lined streets, no social problems, schools with good reputations, just out of the question for the average wage earner. We have some lovely areas in affordable price brackets too, adelaide has much to offer though not usually close to the cbd.

Guest Bonnydoon7

We have a couple of car sales sites, carsguide.com.au and carsales.com.au where you can check out what cars are going for presently. I've been told that your older cars have rust because of the salt on the snow, but our older cars are generally in good condition hence their relatively high prices. The way we judge cars is by the number of kilometres they have done in their years of life. I think a good guide would be to be wary of anything with more than 180,000 kms on the clock, as by then parts are wearing out or coming loose. A car with sports modifications may have had strenuous use by a very enthusiastic driver, we personally look for safe, ordinary, boring cars with no additional fittings.

Guest ingyfikry

Hello everyone. Thanks very much for replies. Extremely helpful. We are coming over and do not know a single person in adelaide so your help and replies make this move much less frightening. On-hand personal advice from your good selves is so much different from trawling the net for info. Highly appreciated !!!!