how much to go with?

sue2oz

Benefits are not awarded as arbitrarily as they are in the UK.

If you are permanent residency, you get the equivalent of Child Allowance. If you are not on PR, you get nothing.

You cannot claim the equivalent of Jobseekers Allowance/ Unemployment Benefit but you can get a contribution paid towards your rent.

As for bank accounts and cash, please make a phone call while in the UK to make sure your cash is in your account before you leave. We didn't, got here, went to activate our account and they didn't have our money. It took 2 days to find out where it was and another 8 days to actually get it. I cannot tell you how stressed I was...I'm sure you can imagine. Luckily, we came over with about $4000 which we thought could be used to pay for furniture, put deposit on car, and a rental during the first week. All of that had to wait until the rest of our money arrived which was almost 2 weeks after we got here. Hideous!

Libby

Hi Libby

I know exactly how stressed you were. We are currently in NZ and we didnt transfer our funds before we left the uk as we were told it wouldnt be a problem to do it from here, plus the rate wasnt good at the time. WRONG! Barclays in UK ignored two requests to transfer the money, we couldnt find a phone number to access in the uk and we were in a holiday stay with only mobile phone to use. I got through to the branch eventually and they said 'how did you get this number' and put the phone down on me! With about three days to go til we had to go unconditional, and with a lot of help from ANZ we bought the house with a Barclays Connect Visa Card! They didnt charge us for it so in the end we gained but it was very nerve-wracking. Definitely learnt our lesson and will not do the same again, although I think lines of communication are better between NZ and OZ!

Cheers

Mariane and Cliff

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all.

We too are going to have around £12000 to take with us! I've survived on less in the past, and will be enjoying the natural side of the life, and not the lavish side....but who cares...Im finally in OZ!!

We have sent up internet banking with WestPac so we can track any trnasfers we make.... been great to see it earning interest over there!

Dan and Steph

Guest jill wright
yep leanne and mark we think thats what we are thinking taking.you get help with benefits wen you arrive i belive so good luck hey xxx

Hi Sue

We won't have the safety net of being able to claim anything for at least two years as we are going on th sir 475 temp visa which is why we're trying to take as much as we can . However I think I've read on here you can apply for perm residency after 1 year.

The info about transferring money Libby is very useful as we were thinking of leaving some in a uk bank account might rethink that one

JIll

Guest soggy
Hi Sue

We won't have the safety net of being able to claim anything for at least two years as we are going on th sir 475 temp visa which is why we're trying to take as much as we can . However I think I've read on here you can apply for perm residency after 1 year.

The info about transferring money Libby is very useful as we were thinking of leaving some in a uk bank account might rethink that one

JIll

Hi,

I am not sure about pr after 1 year, maybe it's changed but I have not heard although the gov do not tell me everything ! what can happen is if you get a suitable employer to sponsor you, you can apply for a pr visa any time. :D

Simon:D:D

Wow you lot are rich. :notworthy:

We will be arriving in Adelaide with the shirts on our backs and enough money for a few months rent, but for the first time ever debt free. We are prepared to struggle. We have done it all our lives so far and can't see why Adelaide should be any different. We will ship everything over so shouldn't need to spend too much. The one thing we can do is for Tracey to secure a job before we leave.

I wouldn't worry over money. So long as you can keep a roof over your head and food in your belly then no worries. Once you are established (in work, kids in school, place to live, etc) then you can start to enjoy your new life. Think of and treat it, all as an adventure rather than a just a move. Its gonna be a challenge, and a fun one at that. Don't fret over how little cash you are taking over because I can guarentee you will be taking over more than us and we aren't worried even with four young children in tow.

Pete

Hey we are in your club mate..... we will be arriving with suitcases and each other!!! (well and a container full of furniture and stuff! probably on the slowest cheapest boat available )

We have stressed about money however we have none here so we may as well be in sunny Oz skint! Hubbie has a job at the RAH so I guess that puts us in a good position!

:)

Hey we are in your club mate..... we will be arriving with suitcases and each other!!! (well and a container full of furniture and stuff! probably on the slowest cheapest boat available )

We have stressed about money however we have none here so we may as well be in sunny Oz skint! Hubbie has a job at the RAH so I guess that puts us in a good position!

:)

Skint in Aus is much worse than being skint in the UK, the sun doesn't put food on the table.

Yes but being skint anywhere in the world will not put food on the table. If you are that skint then you may as well have some good sun, cos it's a well known fact that not enough sunlight can lead to depression. And if you are that skint then you can always invest in a couple of chickens and grow fruit n veg in your backgarden. We had 4 chickens at one time and when they were all laying well omellettes were made with 8 eggs, cos we were racking up 4 a day. Then we got a Jack Russell who ate the chickens.:unsure:

Guest Libby1971

Then we got a Jack Russell who ate the chickens.:unsure:

:biglaugh::biglaugh: I am sorry but this is the sort of thing that you couldn't make up. Sorry for your chickens, and not a nice experience, I am sure.

Libby

Guest mOZzy
Yes but being skint anywhere in the world will not put food on the table. If you are that skint then you may as well have some good sun, cos it's a well known fact that not enough sunlight can lead to depression. And if you are that skint then you can always invest in a couple of chickens and grow fruit n veg in your backgarden. We had 4 chickens at one time and when they were all laying well omellettes were made with 8 eggs, cos we were racking up 4 a day. Then we got a Jack Russell who ate the chickens.:unsure:

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest Lulujim

Thanks to everyone who has been so open about their finances. It's comforting to know that we'll be going out with about £50k.

With out wishing to upset those who are taking the shirts on their back and a bit of sun cream, we're still a little concerned with the running out far too quickly.

I'm hoping to find a job in 3-6 months. I've contacted a lot of agencies, but all have got back and told me to get in touch when we arrive. We're going on a 475 SIR and won't simply walk into a skilled job. We also wont qualify for any benefits.

My wife will be caring for our 2 children and I assume that after we've paid for rent, a car and other essential, we may not be left with a fantastic amount for a deposit.

We're not moving to match our material lifestyle in the UK, but do want to lead a less stressfull life (once we've settled in!).

I guess it comes down to earning potential and mortgages. Let's hope the house price hold on for a little longer!

Don't worry if you are coming with just the shirts on your backs many have come before you, worked hard and eventually made a place for themselves here. All you need to do is be optimistic, use your opportunities and be flexible. A good place to visit when you come (it's free) is the Migration museum. A lot of stories are told there. people who really did come with not much and worked for years to be able to send for their families. You can see the brick pavers people have laid to commemorate their part in Australia's migration story.

We are not taking very much money with us, enough for first few months, but I do have a job when I get there. I don't think it matters how much you take, if you haven't got an income it will soon run out. There are far more leisure activities to do in adelaide that don't cost money than here, it costs £25 just to see warwick castle here etc. Some people seem to think they will get to adelaide have a ten bedroomed house, pool, snooker table and football pitch for garden. The reason we are goin is for the outdoors lifestyle..............

Guest Django
I don't think it matters how much you take, if you haven't got an income it will soon run out................................The reason we are goin is for the outdoors lifestyle..............

Thats it in a nutshell. I read a lot on forums about people going to better themselves. Normally mentioning bigger houses and/or more money. I see it more as a sideways step. I can't see it being better or wosre than here in the UK but..... different. We are an outdoor family from a scouting and guiding background and we believe we will be able to do more of the things we like to do due to better weather. So for us the trip is all about lifestyle and nothing to do with money or houses. TBH I don't care what size our house is or where it is as I don't intend to spend much time there. ;)

Pete

Guest Nick11
if anyone is after a bank account which you can put money in england and get at it in oz try HSBC preimer account open account here transfer money to oz for free get the best interest on money

alex

We did that and its a good idea - only bummer is that there is only one hsbc bank in adelaide - it's a bugger to get to and sometimes the staff that work theres english isn't too good - had many a misunderstood conversation in there! Once we got settled we quickly opened a westpac account - still got an hsbc premier account with only one pound 67p in it!

Guest Lulujim
Skint in Aus is much worse than being skint in the UK, the sun doesn't put food on the table.

Hi, Just interested as to why being skint in aus is worse than being skint in UK? At least in Aus if you can't afford to go anywhere you can play with kids in the garden, go to the beach, park etc etc.. There's not much here you can do when it's freezing cold, chucking it down that doesn't cost an arm and a leg in the UK!!! Maybe I'm being a bit naiive?? :o

No you're not being naive, all those things you mentioned are true and if kids have the space they will make their own fun, if allowed to. Maybe you are just on a different lifestyle wavelength to Ranger. There are loads of things to do here that don't cost money, or very little. From April to August the Festival theatre in the city has events,plays and shows on aimed at kids under 10. Tickets are $10 and there are usually free activities. The last drive in cinema is $20 a car as opposed to approx $60 in a regular cinemafor 4 people. Libraries usually have free activities in school hols, there are numerous parks to explore. The beach is fun in all weathers.... you don't have to swim.

As for adults lots of pubs do good cheap meals, some like the Belair hotel have a buffet resteraunt. It's always cheap to spend time just doing stuff in the garden or walking round the local neighbourhood getting ideas for your own house.

Being skint in a tiny flat full of someone else's furniture rejects reached by 6 flights of stairs that cost us the same per week as a house in a garden here is no where near as good as being skint in a house full of my own furniture rejects, 3 kids, greedy car and a mad Jack Russell that climbs trees.

Rachel

Hey everyone

Can i just add that today i have been trying to find something to do for my daugter as it is the end of her school holidays, we went to a park in the abbey gardens yesterday and i wanted to do something different today, i could have gone to the seaside with not very clear water and shingle beach as that would have been free (skint at the mo), but didn't have a clue what the weather was doing as 1 min cold the next warmish. Decided against this so looked at other things but all cost money. We ended up at another park called Nowton park (Rachel might remember this) with the same old swings, slide and climbing frames, we did get to go for a walk through a forest area to a maze but suprise the maze was all locked up. Luckily the weather held out. Sorry my point is that i could have done something different with my daughter that didn't cost an arm and leg had i been in Adelaide, but we will just have wait till that day arrives for us.

Emma +

Alicia (6)

Guest paul_smart

Hi Sue, I am looking to take about £8K to start up with though I am applying for jobs now so i have a job to go to and there is only me and the misses, no hungry mouths to feed, makes a big dent i guess.

Guest lastboyscout
Hey all.

We too are going to have around £12000 to take with us! I've survived on less in the past, and will be enjoying the natural side of the life, and not the lavish side....but who cares...Im finally in OZ!!

We have sent up internet banking with WestPac so we can track any trnasfers we make.... been great to see it earning interest over there!

Dan and Steph

Thats about the same as us Dan , but at least I`ve got a job to go to so more money to chuck in the pot when it drains away:biglaugh:

I really can`t see why the hell everyone is obsessed about how much they are taking to Oz:shocked:

To all the people who are fretting about whether the money lasts over there...... simply don`t go then :P Because as soon at you land there you`ll be worrying about how much you are spending instead of enjoying the new adventure you will be embarking on:err:

I like you Lee have the security of a job when i get to Adelaide, :D

i will admit i did originally worry about money, but as i've said to the parents i certainly don't have enough money to live on in the UK so whats the difference. I know the money i'm taking won't last, thats why i have got a job. I'm sure i'll find something else to worry about before i go but then i'll forget about that to, thats the great thing about PIA, you've got a worry, put it on here and people can then tell you how stupid your being and you forget about it. :biglaugh:

Emma +

Alicia (6)

Guest Libby1971

Lastboyscout, obsessing over money is not a fair criticism to make.:confused: People just want to know how far to expect it to go, and that is fair enough.

We expected to be working, on a casual day relief basis, within 6 weeks and instead it took twice that. We expected to have permanent work within 3 months and it took 7 and a half.

We brought no furniture with us and so had been watching thousands leave our account in a very short period of time.

We were lucky in that my husband had researched and researched the situation before we left, and without sites like this one, and we were financially okay. So although getting work was a priority we managed until we actually got a job.

Libby