Bbq

Guest adlyn2012

On fire ban days, are you allowed coal bbqs? Certainly not when camping, and I guess would depend on where you live as to whether you'd be allowed them at home

On the total fire ban days I don't think you are. I don't think your allowed to use angle grinders etc either.

Personally I'm a gas girl. Tastes the same to me but way easier.

Googling, it is bloomin hard to find out what you can and can't do in those days, but it did say:

A Total Fire Ban is declared on days where the fire danger index is 50 or greater by the CFS Chief Officer.

A Total Fire Ban day can be declared at any time of year and for any fire ban district. The ban stays in place for 24 hours. The CFS releases the information to the media the evening before the Total Fire Ban day to coincide with nightly news broadcasts.

By imposing the ban, the CFS is able to restrict risky activities. Penalties of fines up to $10,000 and two years’ jail can be imposed if you break the law. On-the-spot fines of up to $315 may also apply.

On a Total Fire Ban day, fires cannot be lit in the open, apart from a very few exceptions.

I'm pretty sure it was advertised on the radio saying no fires, BBQs or angle grinders (because of the sparks). Not sure if there was anything else too, and it hasn't been that often that those restrictions have been in place.

• 2 weeks later...
On fire ban days, are you allowed coal bbqs? Certainly not when camping, and I guess would depend on where you live as to whether you'd be allowed them at home

Hi Di the answer to your question is no.

Total Fire Ban Rules

During a Total Fire Ban no fire may be lit in the open and all Fire permits are suspended. This includes incinerators and barbecues which burn solid fuel, e.g. wood or charcoal.

You may use a gas or electric barbecue, but only if:

•It is on a residential property within 20 metres of the house or dwelling

•It is a picnic area and the appliance is approved by Council, National Parks or State Forest

•It is under the direct control of a responsible adult

•The ground within 2 metres of the barbecue is cleared of all materials which could burn

•You have an immediate and continuous supply of water available