Want Accommodation

Guest dhiman4u2

Guest dhiman4u2

Dear Friends,

I am Migrating to Adelaide with my family after few month. I have two daughters of age 5 & 3. Though Adelaide is good city to live but every city has some disturb areas.Considering the safety of my family please suggest the areas i should avoid while choosing accommodation. If avoid the grey areas i will automatically land in safer areas.

Also i will be grateful if you can tell average rent for 1 BHK & 2 BHK. If i avoid Suburbs.

Thanks.

Agree with Blossom - you need to narrow things down a bit. Do you know where you are likely to be working? What kind of commute are you after? Do you want to be near the beach or would you prefer to be near the hills or the city? What kind of budget are you looking at for rental? It's quite difficult to give places to avoid without risking offending someone.

Guest Adelaide_bound

What you find safe and nice might be very different from what the next person considers acceptable - the best advice is just to wait until you get here, go see lots of houses in different areas and see what you think - you will be hard pressed to secure a long term rental before you are here in person anyway, so not a huge amount of point either as you can't do anything about it until you are here.

Set yourself a budget, and go with that with regards to price as well - depending on what you are looking for in terms of a) location & setting b) features and c) space you can pay what you want to really, from around $280/week (but that would probably be too small, around a 2 bed place, but then that depends on how near the CBD you want/need to be) to over $1K a week really....

realestate.com.au is your friend - you can search on about a thousand different variables, including from the map, and get a good idea of what sort of prices are available for what you are looking for. We didn't have jobs when we arrived and didn't know where we would be working (as I'm a teacher and there are schools everywhere), so just went with somewhere that we liked the feel of and was nearish the CBD, and was a good price for a nice house (imho) - the only way we did that was just by visiting a load of places from realestate.com.au (the app is brill) and seeing what sort of things we could get for our money in what sort of places.

HTH a bit

Guest dhiman4u2
Do you know where abouts you are going to be working yet? Do you have any idea what side of the city you want to be? There are LOTS of suburbs.

Dear Friend,

Thanks for your interest. I am coming first time & completely unaware of the areas of Adelaide. I was seeking your advise to narrow down my options & help me to choose the best. This is part of my research work before landing. Still i am having few months. My consultant will find me a job. I am not expecting much but accommodation should fulfill basic needs like:

Accommodation should be:

1. safer Place for my familly

2. Transportation should be easily accessible

3. Easy access to schools

4. I BHK OR 2 BHK is Sufficient Initially

Guest Adelaide_bound
Dear Friend,

Thanks for your interest. I am coming first time & completely unaware of the areas of Adelaide. I was seeking your advise to narrow down my options & help me to choose the best. This is part of my research work before landing. Still i am having few months. My consultant will find me a job. I am not expecting much but accommodation should fulfill basic needs like:

Accommodation should be:

1. safer Place

Pretty much anywhere - at the risk of incurring others wrath, there are a couple of areas I wouldn't personally want to live, but different courses for different horses, and even within any given suburb that might be seen as 'less desirable' there are good bits and worse bits, so I'll end up with my original idea - Pretty Much Anywhere.

2. Transportation should be easily accessible

Depends on where the transport it to. In and out of the CBD, anywhere isn't too bad, there are main arterial roads in every direction for buses, the trains (when the Southern Line is up again) are good everywhere, the O-Bahn rocks completely and there are plenty of cycle routes too, as well as driving yourself. If you get work in East Adelaide though, and live in West, or vice versa its not the easiest. Should put that in context though - its called the 20 min city - ie nowhere takes that long to get to even in peak hour traffic. I'm used to London and sitting in traffic for 90 mins each way, minimum so Adelaide is a walk in the park for me lol

3. Easy access to schools

There are schools everywhere. Literally. You will not struggle with a school, and a good choice of school, where-ever you are. This was really really important to me as a teacher doing relief work (ie going into a different school each day) - I'm kept busy with loads of schools within a 15 min drive from my front door.

4. I BHK OR 2 BHK is Sufficient Initially

BHK? Sorry don't know what that is - 1 Bedroom I guess? There seems to be less available that is very small, there is the room for large houses over here so less squished in, but if you only want a small place you could quite happily live in the CBD and then transport isn't an issue at all (there are heaps and heaps of very good schools in the CBD as well).