Biking around adelaide as a mean of transportation

Guest ColinOz

Ok, can someone please explain to me how the system works in Aus?

For example, in the UK the myth of 'road tax' prevails. Article here explaining it

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

Vehicles in the UK are taxed based on emissions. Some cars pay zero to very little tax based on this. Cycling is emission free afaik. I view them the same as I do zero emission cars with regard to not paying a vehicle tax.

Roads in the UK are funded from other means of taxation.

Nice article here http://www.theguardian.com/environment/green-living-blog/2010/mar/18/cyclists-road-tax-drivers

I'm interested in this thread out of curiosity in how roads are funded in Aus. If it comes from other taxation or rego or other vehicle related means.

Anyone know exactly or have any links. I'm going to do some reading in the meantime. Thanks.

Edited by snifter
typo

Guest Rich&Susie

The thing is that whilst there is no 'cycling tax', getting out on a bike brings with it numerous cost benefits. The health benefits associated with cycling are obvious; it improves heart health, builds stamina and improves cardio-vascular fitness amongst many other benefits. I don't have any figures to quote but i am sure that the dollar value of savings to the health service that cyclists generate would far outweigh any imposed registration (which would only reduce cyclist numbers and would surely defeat the purpose of having one). In my view, a tax or registration proposal for cyclists will never get off the ground.

As far as taxes go. Any vehicle owner pays a stamp duty when a vehicle is purchased along with periodic registration costs. You can also include in that the costs of drivers licences and fines and penalties. This is state revenue and goes towards (it should do anyway!) towards maintaining state owned roads such as Greenhill Road, Marion Road, Brighton Road, etc...

The Federal Government gets it's 'road' based revenue from fuel. I think that for every litre of fuel purchased the Feds receive 40c. In 2012/13 this accounted for over $14bn. This is put towards maintaining federal roads such as South Road, South Eastern Freeway, Portrush Road, Augusta Highway, etc... They also use this money for programs such as Nation Building or as part of the Building Australia Fund.

Maintenance for local roads generally comes from your council rates although councils can apply for state or federal funding for certain projects.

Rich.

To be honest it's pointless arguing about it. It's like fat people on planes taking up more than their allocated space and weight, nothing will ever come of it.

I would be happy to pay a annual tax for using my bike to go towards road infrastructure or new cycle paths. I cycle about 5,000km a year so separate paths would make a huge difference to me, hence I'd be happy to pay for it. I also think that bikes should have an RFID tag on the that can be traced when jumping red lights etc.

Look on the bright side, cyclists give lazy people something to moan about!! ?

Look on the bright side, cyclists give lazy people something to moan about!! 

So people who do not ride a bike are lazy, does that include the old and infirm? invalids? such a sweeping statement is ill thought out and stupid. There are plenty of people who have physically demanding jobs too, there are some who have lenghty journeys to work, some which have to travel to varying locations during the day, are they all lazy?

I would like to know where all the cyclists are when the weather is bad, suppose they are being lazy like the rest of us? or would that be being wise to suit the cicumstanses like the rest of us?

So people who do not ride a bike are lazy, does that include the old and infirm? invalids? such a sweeping statement is ill thought out and stupid. There are plenty of people who have physically demanding jobs too, there are some who have lenghty journeys to work, some which have to travel to varying locations during the day, are they all lazy?

I would like to know where all the cyclists are when the weather is bad, suppose they are being lazy like the rest of us? or would that be being wise to suit the cicumstanses like the rest of us?

Yes.

Guest ColinOz

Never thought this thread was going to start such a heated discussion :smile: just remember that bikers and drivers are people, and in the case of bikers they are not protected by steel and airbags, so if you're riding your bike be careful and if you are driving and see one just be patient :cool:

You have done the good cyclists of this world a great disservice, and insulted the general mass of population. Forum rules prevent me from writing further opinion on you evil post.

That's lucky then, you could have got nasty.

By the way, I don't think everyone's lazy I was just short of time so couldn't write a full reply. My last sentence about non cyclists being lazy was only for Dan really, I didn't think anyone else would bite.

Don't take my posts too seriously, I don't.