guspjmh

Cleaning garden furniture & garage stuff for shipping

Hi all - any tips for cleaning my garden furniture? It's mosaic tiled furniture and is a bit grimy as it's left out all weathers.

Also, I have loads of boxes of books etc in the detached (leaky, musty) garage. WIll these be ok in the boxes they are in, or will we need to change into other boxes - will the removal companies do this?

Cheers!

For the outdoor stuff - bleach all the way! We found it brilliant.

We had the same dilemma with boxes of books etc. Left the boxes open for the shippers to transfer the contents to their own boxes. They simply sealed our own dirty boxes back up!! Didn't find out til it arrived here. So maybe check with the shippers what the official policy is then keep an eye on the guys on the day!

Best of luck with it all.

If the boxes have been stored in a dusty garage where bugs and the like can get in, I'd be inclined to get the shippers to pack into fresh boxes. But check the condition of the boxes and the contents and see if they are decent.

Re cleaning outdoor garden stuff, lots of people swear by Jeyes. I think its too powerful smelling and is really nasty stuff so personally won't use it. I'm using Zoflora on our boots and shoes. We are not shipping garden furniture as not worth the hassle for us. Can't bd doing with having to clean it all and would rather replace there once we know what our housing situation is going to be.

I'm only shipping one table and 4 chairs from outside, but I only bought them a couple of years ago and they are really nice.

We've got plenty of bottles of Milton liquid thanks to the kids, so might just bleach or milton everything.

I would hose down and scrub the Furniture,then use Jeyes to wipe over.The stuff is so pungent i think even the inspectors won't go near it!:swoon:Don't worry,it wears off.Musty books etc i feel should go in new boxes,after airing for a day or two.Best of Luck,Sue.