Northern Mick

Sibling Sponsorship

Hi guys

My sister is just about to start her application for a visa to work and live here in australia permanently and after speaking to an agent she's going to apply for the Skilled Independent 189.

I suggested that I (as her sibling) might be able to sponsor her but she's been told that siblings can't sponsor.

Can anybody on here quickly confirm this so I can tell her that this is true. I always thought that once I had citizenship I would be able to sponsor her but apparently not!!

Cheers Mick

Hi guys

My sister is just about to start her application for a visa to work and live here in australia permanently and after speaking to an agent she's going to apply for the Skilled Independent 189.

I suggested that I (as her sibling) might be able to sponsor her but she's been told that siblings can't sponsor.

Can anybody on here quickly confirm this so I can tell her that this is true. I always thought that once I had citizenship I would be able to sponsor her but apparently not!!

Cheers Mick

Hi Mick, my brother (with aus citizenship) sponsered me and my family, but that was in the mid 90's, so not sure if any new rules since then! Good luck.

Further to Blossoms reply, check out the Government info for the following type of Visa which may be of some help, I am reading it as though a lone sibling and their parner/family may be eligable, subject to certain requirements!.........Remaining Relative Visa (offshore)(subclass115), sorry I cannot give you the link. Cheers

The last remaining relative only applies if she hasn't got a partner with family, or any other family of her own, and the wait time is about 14 years. Not an ideal visa if you have other options.