LaurenG

Visiting the UK - travel insurance.

Hello,

I'm going on a little visit back to the UK. Does anyone know if I can still use the nhs if I have been Aussie resident for 2 years? if not any recommendations for good (but cheap) travel insurance?

If you have no or few existing conditions, then I have used TID (Travel Insurance Direct) for many years, but have never claimed, luckily. These will cover for all major insurables when you travel and this includes the trip to and from UK and any other countries you visit.

Australia has a reciprocal agreement with UK and it can be used for "emergency or necessary" treatment. We have used this as Aussie citizens, but I am not sure what other conditions exist for using it. We have had to show our passports when we sought medical treatment.

As cliffy says you will have to show some evidence of your residency. Like cliffy we used it and had to provide our aussie passport, they accepted photo copies sent later as we did not carry our passports with us whilst in England.

Would still advise to have some form of travel insurance though! we use our gold credit card to pay for the flights as the card gives complimentary travel insurance, we did have the need to use it once, had to stop the plane in Austria, all worked well enough, so I am quite happy with that insurance, still need to read the conditions though.

Happy travels.