What about the occupational ceiling report on the Aus Immigration site

Guest Awj

Hi I want to ask my fellow members about this confusion I am facing. I am applying as a production manager (manufacturing) under the GSM category. Last week I checked the occupational ceiling report in the immi.gov.au website and the total ceiling value for this position for 3480 and only 2 had been invited. So that means a lot of seats are available. This position is on the state nomination list of SA and ACT. I am now applying for a skills assessment from Vetassess which takes around 3 to 4 months and then can I only apply for EOI for state nomination. I checked again today on the ACT state nomination list and the occupation of production manager is now shown as in limited availability and on the SA list it is in High Availability. So how come this occupation has changed from Open to Limited on the ACT list when only 3 invites have been issued and 3480 positions are left. I am worried now that whether should I apply for skill assessment now or not as after 4 months the SA list will also show this position as full or not available. Then what is the use of the occupational ceilings. Also I want to ask that if I apply for my skills assessment and after my result at that time if this skill is being shown as closed in all the states then what happens. Can I apply again for this skill in the next year or not. Is every occupational ceiling reset again in every year of July.

Please help me in this.

Thank you.

Guest ColinOz

Hi, I'll try to answer your questions with the little knowledge I have

• So how come this occupation has changed from Open to Limited on the ACT list when only 3 invites have been issued and 3480 positions are left.

You should check the dates of the report and compare them with the dates of the last update on the state's list, they are probably more up to date than the skillselect report, It could also be due that some states have less positions available than others and that they have a backlog of applications to solve

• if I apply for my skills assessment and after my result at that time if this skill is being shown as closed in all the states then what happens.

​You should check for how long is your assessment valid, it usually is for the next two years after the result date, if the skill is shown as closed you will have to wait for the next year to apply

Sorry I can't be of anymore help but I'm not sure if the quotas are resetted every year :huh:

So how come this occupation has changed from Open to Limited on the ACT list when only 3 invites have been issued and 3480 positions are left.

The DIBP occupational ceiling quotas are determined and set by DIBP according to their criteria. The individual states and territories decide and set their occupational quotas according to their individual needs relating to demand for the occupation in their state.