sunnyside

Growing veg and fruits - any suggestion?

I started gardening in pots last year and did very well. I planted variety of herbs, tomatoes, egg plants, chillies and a grafted passion fruit vine. I just saw fruits on the vine and am very excited!!

Now I want to plant more fruits! Is it too late for this year? Would you recommend buying the plants or growing from seeds? Where do you buy your fruit and veg trees?

Many thanks

This time of year, buy plants. There are LOADS of different things you can grow now. If you pop down your local nursery (even bunnings are great for veggies) they will have lots, especially tomatoes.

Thank you, Blossom. I bought all my plants from Bunnings but some say they are v old and fruit trees are best bought from certain nurseries. Any particular one you recommend?

Fruit trees are best bought in winter when they are dormant and are sold in bags. Bunnings get theirs from the exact same nurseries as all the other nurseries do. I visit nearly every nursery in SA and (unless I find bargains) I tend to get mine from bunnings. They have a bigger range (well mile end store that I go to does) than many nurseries too.

If you can resist the temptation though, wait until winter for trees.

Is it possible to grow avocado here? Is the temperature too cold for it? I have been told that growing is no issue but you don't get fruits. Any advise? I like how people grow avocado plants from seeds and would be an experience to watch the process!

I will buy couple or fruit trees from Bunnings and some citrus.

Many thanks

I have an avocado tree, I only got it last season so no fruit yet. There are avocado farms down mclaren vale way, so yes you get fruit. They are not keen on the cold winter though.

I tend to try to grow whatever I like and see how it goes. I was told I couldn't grow coffee here. I had a huge harvest of beans last year. :-)