House prices

Smithers

Anyone looking to buy property and investigating house prices in the area, schools etc there is a really good Chinese website which brings a lot of information together in one place.

http://house.ksou.cn/

My main gripe about the Henley/Grange/western suburbs/suburban beachside areas is the lack of beauty, countryside and trees. I'm a country girl at heart, would love to live in the hills/foothills, maybe somewhere like Coromandel Valley. I don't really like suburbia - it isn't good for the soul.

I find the the beach pretty beautiful! I guess it's taste, I lived in wales which is full of rolling green valleys and it never took my breath away, but every time I drive down the esplanade from christies into port noarlunga I am stunned by the beautiful view.

That website is good though, and it lists the median adelaide weekly HOUSEHOLD income as 1380, which equates to only about 70k per annum, and the median income for a port Noarlunga is around 1047, which is a. Household income of less that 60k. It also shows that Port Noarlunga house prices have risen 5 percent over the last 12 months, which seems to buck the local trend...

it just shows that you don't need $100k+ pa to survive.

Sorry to sound negative but I live in the area and feel it is way overpriced - the only thing keeping us here is that the kids are settled in schools here and the area is convenient for work. It certainly isn't value for money and we would love to relocate somewhere else.

The funny thing s that when we came over, Henley was the place to live - the Port Noarlunga of its time!

I wonder how much the influx of Brits affected the rise in house prices?

Or even, how much it still does given that the more competition to buy in an area, the higher the prices can go.

It's not always a bad thing though as new migrants see places differently, without the baggage of long-standing reps or local negativity, which can breathe new life into poorly thought of areas like Hackham and Christies.

I do find it ntetesting to see which area is the latest most desirable place for migrants to settle. I reckon SA will have to reawaken the old plan to create another 'Adelaide', another city centre down south, because even with optimism and improved links, Willinga, Aldinga and beyond is really too far out for a daily commute to the CBD.

What seems a reasonable journey for a few months or even a year must surely become progressively more horrible and unbearable. So buying where you want to live is important but don't underestimate that journey especially when the cold, dark winter comes in!

LC

Guest Guest12727
Anyone looking to buy property and investigating house prices in the area, schools etc there is a really good Chinese website which brings a lot of information together in one place.

http://house.ksou.cn/ /QUOTE]

Great link Anne B. I wonder where they get the data from.

I particularly like the compare suburbs bit. Very interesting to look side by side at all the demographics. One interesting thing I noticed was the low tertiary education rate in Port Noarlunga of 2% compared with the other suburbs I looked at in the east, north east and west that were all 5%. I only looked at about 6 suburbs, so may have just been a fluke.

The other thing that struck me was how few people catch the bus!!

Edited by Guest12727

The funny thing s that when we came over, Henley was the place to live - the Port Noarlunga of its time!

I wonder how much the influx of Brits affected the rise in house prices?

Or even, how much it still does given that the more competition to buy in an area, the higher the prices can go.

It's not always a bad thing though as new migrants see places differently, without the baggage of long-standing reps or local negativity, which can breathe new life into poorly thought of areas like Hackham and Christies.

I do find it ntetesting to see which area is the latest most desirable place for migrants to settle. I reckon SA will have to reawaken the old plan to create another 'Adelaide', another city centre down south, because even with optimism and improved links, Willinga, Aldinga and beyond is really too far out for a daily commute to the CBD.

What seems a reasonable journey for a few months or even a year must surely become progressively more horrible and unbearable. So buying where you want to live is important but don't underestimate that journey especially when the cold, dark winter comes in!

LC

It's true that places go in and out of fashion. When I first lived here in the 90s, Henley, Grange and West Beach were just average suburbs, nothing special. Grange was traditionally a 'working class' suburb. The 'in' places were Unley, Burnside, Norwood, the Eastern Suburbs in general (the only hotspot on the coast was Glenelg) - the western suburbs, despite being by the beach, were not in any way deemed trendy or particularly desirable. My husband says that the western suburbs were always deemed inferior to the east. Then gradually over the years beachside became the place to go, I suppose property was cheaper and people started moving from the east to the beach - so the prices rose, I don't think that migrants from the UK had that much to do with it, the trend started before the big waves of migration. Old houses on the beachfront started getting knocked down and replaced with modern glass mansions. I used to rent a flat on the North Esplanade in Glenelg and the road is barely recognisable now, so many of the old houses have gone, replaced mainly by two-storey 2 on a block homes. Similarly West Beach and Henley have changed so much, and the trend to knock down and rebuild is spreading inland from the seafront.

Edited by Anne B

I find the the beach pretty beautiful! I guess it's taste, I lived in wales which is full of rolling green valleys and it never took my breath away, but every time I drive down the esplanade from christies into port noarlunga I am stunned by the beautiful view.

I also love the sea and the beach, but if you are living in a flat part of Adelaide only those select few living on the esplanade get a view of it from their window - and that comes with a mega price tag. Being a few streets back you easily forget it is there, you could be living anywhere. Hallet Cove is good as the sea views are widespread. But the hills and trees are all around for everyone to enjoy, rich and poor wherever you are.

I also love the sea and the beach, but if you are living in a flat part of Adelaide only those select few living on the esplanade get a view of it from their window - and that comes with a mega price tag. Being a few streets back you easily forget it is there, you could be living anywhere. Hallet Cove is good as the sea views are widespread. But the hills and trees are all around for everyone to enjoy, rich and poor wherever you are.

I know now what you mean, but I love being literally one minute from the beach, we spent nearly all day there today and just love it. I'm not a great fan of hallet cove, it's a nice area house/view wise but the rocky beaches don't appeal to me at all.

i guess everyone has their own internal shortlist of things we like in property - having worked up in the hills, it is certainly pretty enough but we moved here to be right by the sea.

Guest The McLs

Hi Huggesy,

Thanks for the 'home saver account' tip. We are currently living in the UK and believe that when we turn up we could be classed as 'first time buyers'.

Any chance you could give us some of the other SA incentives?

Many thanks

The McLs

Hi Huggesy,

Thanks for the 'home saver account' tip. We are currently living in the UK and believe that when we turn up we could be classed as 'first time buyers'.

Any chance you could give us some of the other SA incentives?

Many thanks

The McLs

The first time buyer grant ends in June. On non new builds. Can't recall if new builds will still have it. If you've owned property elsewhere in the world before moving to Aus then, at least my understanding of it is that you are not eligible for the grant here.

What sort of incentives are you after? On housing or other things?

The first time buyer grant ends in June. On non new builds. Can't recall if new builds will still have it. If you've owned property elsewhere in the world before moving to Aus then, at least my understanding of it is that you are not eligible for the grant here.

What sort of incentives are you after? On housing or other things?

Reading the FAQs on the website about the First Home Owners Grant there it says:

[h=3]I previously owned a home overseas. Am I still eligible?[/h]Yes, the rules regarding previous ownership only applies to homes within Australia.

So i would assume it is OK if yu owned a home in the UK.

See http://www.revenuesa.sa.gov.au/grants-and-concessions/first-home-owners/frequently-asked-questions

Reading the FAQs on the website about the First Home Owners Grant there it says:

I previously owned a home overseas. Am I still eligible?

Yes, the rules regarding previous ownership only applies to homes within Australia.

So i would assume it is OK if yu owned a home in the UK.

See http://www.revenuesa.sa.gov.au/grants-and-concessions/first-home-owners/frequently-asked-questions

This is right. I've owned properties in the uk, but my financial advisor here has applied for first time buyer grant as it is only in Australia.

Guest cath from oz

house prices are steady - about 1hr from adelaide is goolwa /victor harbor house prices are on the rise these areas are the hidden gems of adelaide clean safe and beautiful

Guest Guest12727
house prices are steady - about 1hr from adelaide is goolwa /victor harbor house prices are on the rise these areas are the hidden gems of adelaide clean safe and beautiful

While I agree that Victor Harbor and Goolwa are nice places., they are hardly part of Adelaide. They are part of Sth Australia, but do not fall into the area defined as Adelaide.

In very general terms, the boundary for metropolitan Adelaide is located:

• North: north of the Town of Gawler.
  • South: near Sellicks beach (in the City of Onkaparinga).
  • East: through the Adelaide Hills, east of the towns of Bridgewater and One Tree Hill.
  • West: Along the coast, three (3) nautical miles seaward of the low water mark.

If people want to move there, great, as Visas are for SA not Adelaide, however, it is unfair to misinform potential migrators. There is currently an advertising campaign promoting the region as a place to live. There is currently no train or anything from Victor to Adelaide and the road has one of the worst accident and deaths statistics in SA. If you were living down there you would probably want to be working in the area, unless you want a long commute, as i hour is a vast underestimate in peak hr. A work colleague lives not quite that far and leaves home at 5.30am every morning - not for everyone.

Guest loopylisa
From a future first time buyer perspective I hope the market doesn't shoot up, we could just afford a property at the current prices if we had a deposit, but our home saver account doesn't mature for another 3 years (fantastic idea I saw posted on the forum) plus hoping not to still be in casual work then, thinking this would be a negative to get a home loan, has anyone had any experience of this?

South Australia has some really good incentives for first time buyers and that definately makes us feel positive that one day we could afford our own place for the first time ever!!!:chatterbox:

Ummm. I hope you realise that these grants are set to expire 1st July this year?!!!