Guest manhary

Do Australians really have egalitarian mentality?

Guest manhary

hi people! i heard Australians are egalitarian and treat everyone equally no mattre how rich or poor one is. So is it true? Are Australians really that egalitarian? Don't Australians worship rich people? Isn't being poor a great shame in Ausralia? Isn't human nature all about bullying the poor. SO what is the attitude of australians towards wealth?

Guest Guest75

Errrrmmm??? Normally people introduce themselves on their first post - and then gently start posting in the forum with a few nervous questions and then, eventually............wait for it......................still waiting................................holding ya breath???? They may ask this question............ but in a bit "softer" way.

Guest Claire-n-tel
    hi people! i heard Australians are egalitarian and treat everyone equally no mattre how rich or poor one is. So is it true? Are Australians really that egalitarian? Don't Australians worship rich people? Isn't being poor a great shame in Ausralia? Isn't human nature all about bullying the poor. SO what is the attitude of australians towards wealth?

Manhary......You ask in your question only about economic status but ask the question Are Australians egalitarian........Egalitarianism regards Economic, political, religious, philosophical and racial aspects of equality. So are you actually asking a question about egalitarianism or mearly economics?

'worship' rich people? Being poor a 'great shame' and 'bullying the poor'?

It might be that English isn't your first language but some of those words seem rather emotive.

G'day Manhary, As said above, some form of introduction would be nice. I assume you're in the UK and may be thinking of emigrating to Auz. What-ever, my brother was out here on a holiday a few weeks ago and his greatest impression was that people are so friendly. Especially shop assistants. He couldn't get over their willingness to have a conservation with their customers, rich or poor. As to your question though, Australia is said to have more millionaires per capitor than any other country. Most will keep their wealth to themselves, ie not brag about it. Some will be more extravagant as is any other country, but they soon loose friends. Money is the root of all evil, perhaps, but only in the eye of those who don't have it.

If you want to fit in, here in Auz, forget about your wealth, or lack of it, surround yourself with friends and you'll be all the richer for it.

As to your question though, Australia is said to have more millionaires per capitor than any other country.

It's not even in the top 15 countries with the most millionaires per capita, and the gap is widening. It is in the top three countries with the highest household debt in the world, though!

I think the society is a bit more level in terms of attitude. They love their toys out here but the simpler things in life aren't forgotten either.

It's not even in the top 15 countries with the most millionaires per capita, and the gap is widening. It is in the top three countries with the highest household debt in the world, though!

Times have changed. I stand corrected.

Guest BurgessFamily

Of course, everyone is treated equally - unless you are a bogan or 'abo', and are generally looked down upon.

Sad but true. :)