Giving up smoking..? Go electronic.

V-Bird

Given the apparent size of this forum, there has to be a few smokers out there. Also given that the majority of smokers would like to quit, this might hit a few targets.

So, if any of you are contemplating this, I highly recommend Electronic Cigarettes (despite their name they are not actually cigarettes).

I was a smoker for about 20 years, 'gave up' a few times but always cracked.

I started using ecigs last September and haven't had a normal one since. No cravings, no cranky moods, I've not even kicked the dog. Also the cost is about 1/4 that of cancer sticks.

Believe the hype, but get a good one though, there is some crap out there that's best avoided.

I could recommend a brand but I think that's against the rules.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi V bird!.....Personally i would recommend going cold turkey.....

Wouldn't the reason that you don't have cravings be that you are still getting a constant supply of nicitene?......

i am really cautious about the e-cigarettes TBH.....there are no studies as to the long term affects of them, ok the upside is that they contain no tar etc but they do still contain lots of chemicals along with nicotene.

I haven't smoked since 26th october 2013, (almost 6 months!) i used patches for the first 5 days and then stopped them, i LOVE being a non smoker, i think we should both be damn proud of ourselves.....:notworthy:

Hi V bird!.....Personally i would recommend going cold turkey.....

Wouldn't the reason that you don't have cravings be that you are still getting a constant supply of nicitene?......

i am really cautious about the e-cigarettes TBH.....there are no studies as to the long term affects of them, ok the upside is that they contain no tar etc but they do still contain lots of chemicals along with nicotene.

I haven't smoked since 26th october 2013, (almost 6 months!) i used patches for the first 5 days and then stopped them, i LOVE being a non smoker, i think we should both be damn proud of ourselves.....:notworthy:

Kudos to you for that, you did it the hard way.

Yes absolutely there is nicotine, but the nicotine itself is not harmful, it's the carrier, i.e smoke. As for chemicals, the main product is Propylene Glycol, which is used in various applications from theatre smoke to asthma inhalers to food additives. The rest is food flavourings.

I've done plenty of research (alright googling) on various brands and if you avoid the dodgy ones (Chinese mainly) you should be ok. Heaps better than smoking anyway.

My brother was out for a holiday last month and he was using an electric fag. It seemed to do the job but after a drink or two, he reverted to real ones. Next day it was back to the electric. V-bird is correct about the nicotine, it's not as harmful as the tar in the smoke. Another thing to remember is that nicotine is out of your system in a couple of days, therefore, the 'craving' is your bodies way of saying " I need to go through the habitual movements" You learn to smoke and therefore you need to unlearn, or learn not to smoke. To that end, I did a 'Smoke Ender's' course about 15 years ago. This was an 8 wk course during which you could smoke as much as you wanted PROVIDED that you followed the rules. It wasn't cheap but I gave it up..........easily. Going cold turkey works for about one in a thousand or more. Also, fwiw, I got throat cancer 3 years later, the damage was done. Took me singing voice but apart from that, all's well.

Do what you have to do, but give it up.

Guest Claire-n-tel

.....one in a thousand Doug??.......i'll have you know i'm a one in a million!:biglaugh:

I think if you decide to and make up your mind to give up you will do it no matter the method.......i sometimes fancy a smoke but can honestly say i never crave one, i have always told myself i could/can have one if i really want to......maybe thats how i'm doing it......wanting to be be a non smoker more.

ps i actually enjoy sitting near a smoker and smelling it, right from day one and no it doesnt make me want one!.....go figure!