Job scenario and moving to Adelaide

path2aus

1. Good

2. Where exactly do you think I am ? because its's none of your bees wax

3. Again not relevant and again none of your business.

I'm not here to mud sling or to fight with a keyword warrior.

I'm sure it's not allowed or acceptable on this forum, perhaps I was guilty of it.

For that I am sorry.

That is really my final word. Feel free to have your parting shots

because I'm not engaging further.

In the words of Ringo

Peace and Love

So as not to detract and hijack someone else's thread further let's get back to discussing the topic.

Thanks in advance.

This is such a popular subject for a thread!

'working your ar$e off' will not guarantee anyone a job, but it will increase your chance of finding some kind of employment.

There aren't as many jobs here as there have been in the past. Not sure if that's too different to many other countries?

Employers can pick and choose. Don't think coming over with some fancy qualifications or experience will necessarily have them rushing, in awe and gratitude, to employ you :) You might need to pick up some Aussie quals, just so they know you understand how things work. That's not unreasonable, is it?

Whether you hear what you want to hear, i.e. " Ooh, yes, if you really want a job, you will defo get one. Easy as. I did; my neighbour did; ra ra ra so on and so forth". Or not, " OMG! There are NO jobs; you have buckley's getting one; I haven't, my kids haven't, there are many generations three-deep that haven't" It's a chance only you can take.

I think there have been some great tips on here as to where to find potential employment. I would add that networking helps, volunteering helps and a bit of a thick skin. Try visiting places cold. You never know, you could impress someone and find a job or a lead for a job. Sending a good resume is a start, following them up must help. Ask Jessica Berry, perhaps, resume and career advisor to many on here.

Good luck,

LC

1. Good

2. Where exactly do you think I am ? because its's none of your bees wax

3. Again not relevant and again none of your business.

I'm not here to mud sling or to fight with a keyword warrior.

I'm sure it's not allowed or acceptable on this forum, perhaps I was guilty of it.

For that I am sorry.

That is really my final word. Feel free to have your parting shots

because I'm not engaging further.

In the words of Ringo

Peace and Love

I have just just read all your posts, it sounds like you aren't having a good Easter.

Were you turned down for the job as the Easter Bunny? Relax with an Egg.

You'll now find that in the UK most job vacancies are contracted 0 hrs, this is just the current practice for a lot of companies the world over. What you need to do is go out and find the right jobs... they will not come to you on a silver platter!!!!! Yes you may have to start at the bottom rung of the ladder but if you are a good as you say you are in your resume your skills will soon be recognised and up the ladder thou shall go.

I've been making contacts since I first started the visa process 18 months ago and with less than two months until I fly out, I've already arranged meetings with potential employers all of which have been extremely positive and supportive. I've arranged long distance telephone conversations where the managers have given up their time to give me useful advise. Like NicF said, go out and approach the companies that are suited to your skills, show a little initiative you never know. A guy in our local city stood on a very busy round about with a sandwich board detailing his skills and contact details.... he then got air time on the local radio and a week later was employed by a large company. Now I'm not saying go to this extreme but it is an example of you going for the job and not waiting for it to come to you..... or be prepared to do anything and go that extra mile.....or in even more layman's terms.....Get off your ar*e!!!

Hi Rachael,

Thanks for your input on this. I don't know why you would think that I am just sitting back and not doing anything. This post was just to understand the perspective of people who are already there. I understand that moving to a new country means that you will have to struggle and it might take time to find something. I moved to US 11 years ago and went through the same phase so I understand more than lots of people what it takes to settle in a new environment. I have been in touch with lots of recruiters over the past 4-5 months and lots of them have agreed to meet up with me once I land there. I have contacted lots of them over linked in and I have been doing lots of research of my own of what is needed.

I was just trying to understand what the people go through after moving there. I don't think it is a crime to do that. Thanks for your input anyways, except for moving there (Which I will be doing in couple of months time) I have been doing my due diligence as to what is required to settle and move to a new country.

This is such a popular subject for a thread!

'working your ar$e off' will not guarantee anyone a job, but it will increase your chance of finding some kind of employment.

There aren't as many jobs here as there have been in the past. Not sure if that's too different to many other countries?

Employers can pick and choose. Don't think coming over with some fancy qualifications or experience will necessarily have them rushing, in awe and gratitude, to employ you :) You might need to pick up some Aussie quals, just so they know you understand how things work. That's not unreasonable, is it?

Whether you hear what you want to hear, i.e. " Ooh, yes, if you really want a job, you will defo get one. Easy as. I did; my neighbour did; ra ra ra so on and so forth". Or not, " OMG! There are NO jobs; you have buckley's getting one; I haven't, my kids haven't, there are many generations three-deep that haven't" It's a chance only you can take.

I think there have been some great tips on here as to where to find potential employment. I would add that networking helps, volunteering helps and a bit of a thick skin. Try visiting places cold. You never know, you could impress someone and find a job or a lead for a job. Sending a good resume is a start, following them up must help. Ask Jessica Berry, perhaps, resume and career advisor to many on here.

Good luck,

LC

I think lots of people are thinking that I am not doing anything and I am just posting here to crib. I am not doing that, I am sorry if you guys thought that way. I am doing a lots of research and I have lots of recruiters lined up to meet up with me once I lad there. I have huge networking on my linked in carefully built up over the past 4-5 months from companies and agencies who have jobs matching my profile and apart from that I have even contacted companies which provide casual employment, possibly for few hours every week. I did not want to mention all this as this was not the point of this thread. I was just trying to get the perspective of people who have already settled there and was wanting to share what one recruiter told me about the job scenario.

I very well understand what it takes to move to a new country and start off from zero. I did that 11 years ago and fought my way through and have been extremely successful. I am sure I can do that again and have the confidence to do so. I think I came off as a guy who is just sitting here and cribbing, I am not. I am just taking some time to get my things sorted out. I will move there for sure and put in the hard yards.

Edited by path2aus

SA is doing it tough at the moment, but don't let that discourage you. You only need one job.

Only one job is very hard to come by ATM in SA, more like 3 casual jobs on minimum wage ($19 AUD per hour). SA is hard and is struggling, with too few jobs and a lot of the larger companies laying off. New poms are competing for very few jobs and a lot of home grown Aussies are looking for work and going for the same jobs.

Guest Guest12727
I think lots of people are thinking that I am not doing anything and I am just posting here to crib. I am not doing that, I am sorry if you guys thought that way. I am doing a lots of research and I have lots of recruiters lined up to meet up with me once I lad there. I have huge networking on my linked in carefully built up over the past 4-5 months from companies and agencies who have jobs matching my profile and apart from that I have even contacted companies which provide casual employment, possibly for few hours every week. I did not want to mention all this as this was not the point of this thread. I was just trying to get the perspective of people who have already settled there and was wanting to share what one recruiter told me about the job scenario.

I very well understand what it takes to move to a new country and start off from zero. I did that 11 years ago and fought my way through and have been extremely successful. I am sure I can do that again and have the confidence to do so. I think I came off as a guy who is just sitting here and cribbing, I am not. I am just taking some time to get my things sorted out. I will move there for sure and put in the hard yards.

Hey Path2aus

I honestly don't think anyone was referring to you when they mentioned the efforts you need to go to when moving to a new country. This is the issue when some-one else comes onto a thread and completely hijacks it with their own agenda - the OPs original question gets a bit lost in the ensuing discussion.

Please don't be put off making further enquiries on this forum - you were just unlucky this time that a new member felt the need to vent their perspective to the nth degree.

Yes, it is tougher to find work in SA now, than it was 10 years ago, but I think it is similar everywhere. Only you can decide whether you want to risk giving up your current job to move here. Just keep everything in perspective.

Good luck with the move

Edited by Guest12727

I think lots of people are thinking that I am not doing anything and I am just posting here to crib. I am not doing that, I am sorry if you guys thought that way.

Jeez! Settle kettle! :wubclub:

I don't think anyone thought that; I certainly didn't!

Your original post did ask a bit of a naive question...as you seem more than aware, "worried if I would be able to land a job immediately".... " realistically how long will the wait be".

I, with other posters, tried to offer ideas which you might not have thought of. We don't know you, but generally, in the present economic climate here, if you already have a good job elsewhere why rush over here?

Although the thread should 'belong' to the OP, it's like any convo and ideas presented can bounce the original topic around a bit. I actually think that's what makes it interesting (not that I like it when people start personal attacks or being a bit mean!).

With all that in mind, I think Howde answered you best when he said," Yes, it is tougher to find work in SA than it was 10 years ago".

Good luck and I'm sorry if you felt I personally attacked you.

:smile:LC

Guest Rachael M Bowen
Hi Rachael,

Thanks for your input on this. I don't know why you would think that I am just sitting back and not doing anything. This post was just to understand the perspective of people who are already there. I understand that moving to a new country means that you will have to struggle and it might take time to find something. I moved to US 11 years ago and went through the same phase so I understand more than lots of people what it takes to settle in a new environment. I have been in touch with lots of recruiters over the past 4-5 months and lots of them have agreed to meet up with me once I land there. I have contacted lots of them over linked in and I have been doing lots of research of my own of what is needed.

I was just trying to understand what the people go through after moving there. I don't think it is a crime to do that. Thanks for your input anyways, except for moving there (Which I will be doing in couple of months time) I have been doing my due diligence as to what is required to settle and move to a new country.

Sorry this was not directly aimed at you it was for the people on here that can be extremely negative and scare monger when it comes to employment. As you have stated more often than not people have researchrd job opportunities prior to making such a huge life changing committment.

May i wish you all the best.

Guest BurgessFamily

You may find a job straight away, or it may take a little longer. Just the way it goes.

We took on a new .Net Developer about a month or so ago... he'd been looking for over 6 months since arriving. I can honestly say he's really good at his job too, very experienced. At least now he's bringing home a cool $45k (and I bet he's wondering what was going on for all those months he was waiting).

Guest Sharon & Paul

Hi there I moved here with my husband who is a carpenter and he found work straight away. I am a lecturer in business and law and was a division leader in my college for 14 years. When I first came here to lodge the via the people I spoke to said I wouldn't have a problem finding work. We moved here 5 months ago and I can even get a job in administration. Its really disheartening to think I have so much experience but cant get a job sad really as it is a great place to live and we have all settled but we could be looking at going back home.

sharon