Calling anyone with evaporative Air Con...

sidestep

Just a timely reminder to go around and close all the ceiling vents you have as it'll help keep the heat in over winter. If you haven't got vents you can close then maybe consider getting some. If you have a cover for the roof unit then put it on. If you haven't, go buy one.

All helps you know :)

Guest Guest12727

Thanks Sidestep.

Do you have to buy the cover for the model, or are there generic ones that fit - and where do you buy them from?

Guest BurgessFamily

Also worth getting cowls for any extractor fans (kitchen/bathroom/showers), if not already fitted - i know a lot of new houses don't seem to fit them so it's just an open hole for heat to escape.

Thanks Sidestep.

Do you have to buy the cover for the model, or are there generic ones that fit - and where do you buy them from?

You'll have to get the right size. Measure the x y z dimensions of the roof unit and make some phone calls to air con suppliers.

Oh, and the ceiling vents I referred to are the louvre vents that you can close. Some are not adjustable though so a good workaround is to block the duct itself if no other option is available. Stops a lot of the heat disappearing up there. Even stuffing newspaper up there will help.

Also you can get draft proof covers for extractor fans - bathrooms, toilets and laundrys etc. See Draft Stoppa

Guest Guest12727
Great advice, never thought about that as we were sat here last night with hoods up and blankets on! ànother task for today along with the weeding! thanks Sidestep

Haven't you got heating TonyD?

Guest Guest12727
We got a large tarp and covered our unit last year. The covers were expensive. Remember to drain it also!

Thanks Jo

Just checked my aircon instructions as I pressed the 'drain button' on the control unit but nothing seemed to happen. It seems my unit drains automatically when not used for 3 days - it is a fairly new system. There was a list of other things to do to put it do bed for winter though, clean pads etc.....might have to get a man in!