Jump to content

News for electricians in UK

Recommended Posts

I found this message on another forum from a reliable source as there was some confusion about licence requirements in AUS I have realised that it's the ARTC route which will be easier than the Vetaesses approach.


I will paste the info supplied


This is for people migrating who are in the Electrical Trade

To who it may concern on this site.

I spoke to the main person at PEER Training on 3-6-2009, this is what happens between ARTC & vatessess. When you make your application for migration, you supply information regarding your training the length of training; you also provided evidence of the company's you have worked for.



If you don't provide enough information or the type of information they may require for easy processes of the application this is where the two different routes come into play.



To Gain the Electrical Mechanic ARTC

1st if you give info of work styles like lots of contracting work on industrial, commercial, domestic work you supply enough evidence & info on the type of installations you have worked on also all differing tools used. If they feel that's enough evidence you shall be granted the ARTC Electrical Mechanic, end of story.



You may also be invited to do a trade test for ARTC again depending on the amount of info you put in the application, most case these days expect to be invited to do a trade test.



This system lets you apply to sit the Unrestricted Electrical License when you get here I recommend PEER in S/A that’s the easiest route believe me.

If you don't provide enough info, you shall be pointed down the Vatessess route.

Both ARTC & vatessess now have the system where you shall have to do a trade test no ifs or buts.

With the Vatessess You still end up with the Cert for migration but in the long run it’s a nightmare mainly due to other components that come into play when you’re in Australia.

This means you can still do the A class exams at PEER when here, however there is a different system for Vatessess students.

For people who get the Cert of Electrical Mechanic & General Electrician, Electrical Fitter can also attend PEER to do there A class license no problems.

Now then apart from ARTC.



People who have been steered down the Vatessess route & people with General Electrician this can cause massive problems in other states, some states require what’s called Gap training this means you must work onsite for 12 months keeping a log book of all work completed on a continual basis without any breaks in the work time of the 12 months.

you won’t get a Unrestricted Electrical License until you have done this logbook you only get a ”Restricted license” meaning you’re not allowed to work on your own.??? Who is going to employ a person who must have all work checked on a daily basis.

This is mainly for people doing Vatessess, people can go to PEER in S/A do the exams then have the Unrestricted Electrical License transferred to the state you are going to reside in then your fine, But as I say this is for vatessess people mainly even though you may do the PEER route you must do this Log Book for 12 months if your living in QLD

Problems are



lower pay

work checked continually

if you have a gap in the 12 months your buggered.

You can only have a restricted license for a few years then that’s your lot.

As I say I got this from the main man on Friday 03-6-2009 from PEER S/A

I hope this info is of some help to you all maybe not what you’re expecting but its real information

When you do the application you must have all documents signed & dated then the documents become a legal document make lots of copies make sure all is correct or the application shall be returned to you with little info stating why or what the problem may be from the migration dept.



It’s” illegal” to work in any state across Australia without the Unrestricted Electrical License, NO insurance company would touch a claim if anything was to go wrong.



Then if you intend to work for yourself after obtaining the Unrestricted Electrical License you can n go to the nearest Tafe (College) and do a 12 week x 1 night per week doing a Business course.

That’s in Melbourne other states shall change i can tell you that.



When you have passed this course then you must obtain Insurance. It’s become normal now for Indemnity cover of $10,000,000 (Ten Million) dollars insurance cover.

Then you can quote for jobs in a legal capacity as I say this is only if you intend to be working for yourself, if you work for a company then all you require is the A class license.

If you intend to setup your own company & you have the Unrestricted Electrical License every job you do for any customer you must supply that customer with a COES (Certificate of Electrical Safety) one copy direct to the customer one copy to Energy Safe the other copy you keep for 7 years. Most installations are now being audited to about 30% in all states.



Getting the ATRC or ART or Vatessess may seem to be the easy part once your here this is exactly what must be achieved to work as a fully licensed electrician in Australia.

Most Migration “Agents” (That’s a laugh) do NOT inform people about the information above you pay them your money then that’s your lot you’re on your own when you get here.

I hope this information is of some value to any people who may be applying for migration.

Myself I try to help people around Melbourne, there is another person on British Ex Pats who lives in QLD his name on the site is Steve’O he is fantastic and very switched on he is also available for assistance with information for the migration process.

The duration of the Unrestricted Electrical License is 3 years it’s your responsibility to renew the license you get a renewal reminder then that's all if you DON'T renew you must sit all exams again.

The duration of the Contractors course in Melbourne is about 12 weeks x one night per week



Cost of A class license about $270.00 per 5 years

Electrical Contractors course Now has become Small Business Course in S/A cost $1,160.00 to date 27/5/2009 one payment only. The course 2 x modules 1st Legal requirements + 2nd financial costing & planning the course is completed over three Sundays at PEER total duration of the course = 60 hours inclusive of projects completed at home. (Most of the work is achieved at home)

Cost of Contractors license about $300.00 per year.

Cost of Insurance depends on how much cover you require I have $10,000,000 (Ten Million) costing $500.00 per year.

There is also a Basic Safety induction course x 6 hour done in 1 day $80.00 at PEER

The original Certificate was the Green card now it’s become the White card.

This card is recognised Australia wide, most sites shall require you to hold this card or you may NOT be allowed on site to work.??





A bit more info Regarding Licensing for Electricians



Trade Recognition Australia (TRA)

If you are a qualified electrical tradesperson from a country other than those recognised by VETASSESS, you can obtain an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTCs) from Trade Recognition Australia to assist in your application for a restricted electrical workers registration. TRA will assess your current qualifications/experience and technical skills and list the units of competency that you have completed on the ARTC.

Once you have been issued with an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate, you may then make an application for a workers registration with our office.

If you are recognised as an Electrician, Electrical Fitter or Electrical Mechanic, you may apply for a restricted registration with the condition: any electrical work under the supervision of a registered electrical worker.

To have this limitation removed or to apply for an unrestricted registration, you will also be required to provide evidence of completion of the approved AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules course and exam.



To obtain your unrestricted Electrical licence you will need an appropriate Certificate recognising your skills eg ARTC,ART,VETASSESS or similar you will also need to complete what’s known as the gap training of approximately 160 hours

Over a period of 12 months with No Breaks in employment

To complete the process you will need to be employed, carry a work place log and have a restricted electrical licence (fees for the licence are in the area of $300.00 dollars)

For further information on the AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules course and exam you may wish to contact either of the following organisations:

Regency Institute of TAFE (08) 8348 4426

PEER Tec (08) 8348 1200



Regards & Best of luck with your applications, if you require help just ask

Arthur Quinn Melbourne

(PS) If you don’t pay the licenses or insurance, you’re unable to work in a legal capacity anywhere in Australia. - See more at: http://www.britsabroad.com/f8/electrical-assistance-4-australia-834/#sthash.JFIxkmGA.dpuf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Claire-n-tel


Ken, 'bump' is what someone writes in order to 'bump' a thread up to the front page again if it contains info that may be useful but has been missed by people.


So Blossom was simply putting you thread to the top of the page again for you!


Worth mentioning tho that it is not really polite to go 'bumping' everything up just use it occassionally!:cute:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, revised Privacy Policy and Terms of Use