Cost of living comparison

mac

Guest Guest75
One or two in this area, one of many, all with 700 blocks, all equivalent to 250k sterling all with 4 beds and 25 mins drive to city

btw our first interaction too:biggrin:

Get a room you lot!!! :realmad::arghh:

This is supposed to be at this time a rather tense,terse and downright pick on each other thread!!

Then you do this!!:swoon:

Guest Guest75
And the worst thing about TVs bought here is they show rubbish Australian Telly, no Corrie, Eastenders, MOTD.

I reckon anyone coming over should bring their UK tv to get the better programmes. Also bring your BSKYB dish and box to get better Pay TV too.

But you know I watch all the latest TV I want from the UK ................................:cute::cute::cute::wink::wink:

Guest Guest75
So do I. I use get iPlayer automator (apple users only).its the best thing or halo for chrome. All legal :-)

Is Free to Air TV distributed by a third party site legal????

I'm leaning towards yes.

Guest Spitfire
btw, I think this is our first interaction, so welcome to the site :biggrin:

Jim

Thanks for the welcome Jim and Adel! I'm talking about suburbs like Happy Valley, Aberfoyle Park, Flagstaff Hill, Coromandel, Glenalta. Perhaps rush hour is a longer trip - we can often do rush hour in 30 minutes for example, but in general these suburbs offer a reasonable deal. Our house fits everything I described and one in the next road sold recently for 420k, but with three bedrooms. I'm from the SE of England and if I wanted what I have here, but in my hometown, it would cost me around $3/$4 million, and if I settled for a similar commute it would cost me, according to Rightmove, around $1.5 million. So for us, massively cheaper, and the southern British city is simply because almost my whole family, and my wife's whole family, are from the south, and we only consider moving back to be with family, so there would be little point in going to Newcastle or wherever property becomes affordable, for us. For the electronics I can only reiterate that we noticed we got ours at cheaper prices, but perhaps we got lucky.

Thanks again for the welcome - appreciated:smile:

Guest Spitfire
I think anything but torrenting is. Hiding/masking your location is not illegal, from what I understand. A torrent is not legal is my belief.

Torrenting is a grey area. Technically it's just file-sharing, so I suppose it's more the fact of what is being shared, rather than the act of sharing per se. It's not entirely clear to me why no one has a problem with someone copying an album for his friend on a twin-deck stereo in 1987, but sharing it via a file on the internet is a big deal. It's a copyright issue, of course, but I think the issue is more about scale than anything else, plus they can monitor the latter but not the former. I believe some internet providers send out warning letters if you torrent, but we don't so can't confirm this.

For the electronics I can only reiterate that we noticed we got ours at cheaper prices, but perhaps we got lucky.

I found the same when I compared Apple product prices between UK and Adelaide, Adelaide was cheaper. For example an iPad air 32GB wifi only model is £479 ($865) in the UK or $699 here, or if you purchase at Dick Smith $648. Dick Smith seem to do deals on Apple products (friends and family say you don't tend to get these in the UK) and when I purchased a new iMac I found similar savings in Adelaide compared to the price in the UK, plus I got a free Apple TV as part of the deal.

• 3 months later...

Hi All, We are looking to move to Adelaide by mid next year, after speaking to friends and close relations in already in Oz (but not in Adelaide) Ive come up with the following monthly budget for the first year or so. Please have a look and see if it is realistic. Thanks

Monthly Basic Expences

Rent 350x4 3 bedroom apartment/ house 40 minutes away from the CBD 1400

Food 500

Electricity/Gas 100

Petrol 100

Mobile 120

Car insuarance 50

Extras 200

internet 50

health insuarance for me, my wife and 2 young kids 250

Metro Card for daily commute to work in the CBD - God willing 117

Total for a young family of 4 Au $2887

Obviously the above doesn't include the initial staring up costs etc. would like to what you think.

Guest Spitfire
Hi All, We are looking to move to Adelaide by mid next year, after speaking to friends and close relations in already in Oz (but not in Adelaide) Ive come up with the following monthly budget for the first year or so. Please have a look and see if it is realistic. Thanks

Monthly Basic Expences

Rent 350x4 3 bedroom apartment/ house 40 minutes away from the CBD 1400

Food 500

Electricity/Gas 100

Petrol 100

Mobile 120

Car insuarance 50

Extras 200

internet 50

health insuarance for me, my wife and 2 young kids 250

Metro Card for daily commute to work in the CBD - God willing 117

Total for a young family of 4 Au $2887

Obviously the above doesn't include the initial staring up costs etc. would like to what you think.

Hi

Most of these look fine to me, but I would question food and car. Unless you want to go to smaller grocers, choice here is limited to Coles, Woolworths or Foodland. For this reason competition is minimal, prices are high, and the quality of many of their vegetables, particularly winter crop, is very poor indeed. My family is similar in size to yours, and we spend closer to $800 a month on food. Usually that's around $350 a fortnight on "big shops", and then ever other week we "top up" our fruit and veggies. Many of the "fresh" produce we buy goes off in days, so this is why we do a weekly for that, and I think that's around $50 per trip every other week, making $800. Throw in alcohol, even cleanskins, but especially beer and you're looking at well over $1000 per month. To clarify, we don't buy prepared/boxed/micro meals/junk - just fresh stuff and it's all made from scratch. We eat very well on this price, but when we came here six years ago we usually escaped Coles at around $280, so we have some extra expenses now but the rest is inflation.

Car - rego is very expensive here as well - look into that.

Edited by Spitfire
Car rego

Also, if you are on a budget beware of running your aircon or heating - we just got a $1200 bill for a quarter!!! Luckily some of this was offset by solar, but not a lot. Pretty much all of this was down to running our ducted heating for 6 hours a day in winter and using the a pool heater (to a lesser degree).

Guest Spitfire
Also, if you are on a budget beware of running your aircon or heating - we just got a $1200 bill for a quarter!!! Luckily some of this was offset by solar, but not a lot. Pretty much all of this was down to running our ducted heating for 6 hours a day in winter and using the a pool heater (to a lesser degree).

Good point last year we got smashed with an $800 quarterly bill (winter - electric heaters/tumble dryer), which made us really crack down on stuff. That bill has not been repeated!

Holy cow! $1,200 is eye watering. I would maybe recommend a few winter jumpers and lowering the tropical expectations although the tables turn for you guys very shortly with 40 plus degree summer heat. We ended up in Brisbane where AC is the only consideration (other than summer floods and fires!) however I find it easier to be hot than cold!

Hope you and your family are enjoying Adelaide, great city with plenty to offer. We are loving Brisbane, loads on offer although dreading the humidity.

S