Insuring personal items one way especially jewellery

Jeanjames

(Hope this post is the correct Forum)

I am in the process of getting my shipping quotes, had 3 so far and I am comparing all prices (including the storage charges as we are in furnished accomodation for a while), I have also had quote separately for the insurance based on 1.30%.. so that just leaves personal items.

Laptops, rings etc. are covered under our house contents insurance which I will have to cancel very shortly, my annual travel insurance only covers upto a max of £500 for a single item (and in fact I need to check if this insurance is actually valid as we wont be based in the UK). So can any recommend any insurance for valuables one way.

Any help would be appreciated.......... Just over 4 weeks until we arrive now!! :-)

Edited by Jeanjames

We use STA for our travel insurance. They are one of the companies that deal with backpacker insurance and also one way trips. We've always found them to be reasonable price wise for non backpacker insurance and have never had any issues.

Should you use them, you will probably need to go into one of their shops to arrange it in person. We only had one way for medical and travel (luggage etc) but didn't have jewellery of any kind so didn't need to factor in that extra cost. It was valid for 72 hours from when we left the UK.

I doubt your annual UK policy will cover you as its one way but worth checking.

Most one way travel companies have a limit of around £500... Not to worry, hopefully we can arrange some kind of insurance when we land :-)

I had the same problem when I moved over, we used one way travel insurance which yes only covered us up to 500/600 we kept all valuables in the hand luggage and with us at all times! We needed that insurance incase of illness etc during the flight anyway. Do make sure you are using a company for one way migration

as normal travel insurance doesn't fully cover you because you are not returning to the UK, this isn't always obvious till you read the small print.

From the UK we set up renters insurance to commence on arrival, it was an insurance that we were able to move between holiday let's and then once we moved into our long term we just put up the cover with them to include covering our furniture. I did shop around once here but the original company remained the best value for us.

I had the same problem when I moved over, we used one way travel insurance which yes only covered us up to 500/600 we kept all valuables in the hand luggage and with us at all times! We needed that insurance incase of illness etc during the flight anyway. Do make sure you are using a company for one way migration

as normal travel insurance doesn't fully cover you because you are not returning to the UK, this isn't always obvious till you read the small print.

From the UK we set up renters insurance to commence on arrival, it was an insurance that we were able to move between holiday let's and then once we moved into our long term we just put up the cover with them to include covering our furniture. I did shop around once here but the original company remained the best value for us.

Which Company did you use I will have a look Thanks :-)