190 visa - TRA skills assessment question!!

t1t1

Hi Poms!!

This is my first post on here, so Hello everyone!

Hope someone can help me out here with my dilemma... I came here to Adelaide last year, on a working holiday visa to a job i had lined up, I'm an Arborist by the way (tree surgeon).

I realised i enjoyed the weather, the job, life style, (like many of you) and I've met an ozzy girl who I'm very fond of, so looks like I'll be staying for a while!!

Currently, I'm on a 457 visa for 3 years i believe, but i now want to get off of this visa and get a 190 state sponsored, I realise I now want a bit more freedom to do what I like, and I know Arborist is on the consolidated list, so i do qualify for the 190.

Im aware I need to do a skills assemement by Trade Recognition Australia, and I'm pretty confident i have the equivalent qualifications they are after to prove I can do my job here, but I'm just a bit worried about proving my experience back home... I have 3 and a half years experience in the uk, (which gains me 5 very valuable points, POTENTIALLY) the first two years i was working for a company but not achieving the minimum 38 hours TRA say you must have consistently... most weeks i did more than 38 or maybe even more with weekend work, BUT some weeks i might have only done 20, and also i even had a few weeks holiday over christmas etc... (everyones entitled to, surely??). Also, I can only prove this with what the TRA consider secondary evidence, with bank statements showing deposits two to three times a week from my employer, and a covering letter he could type me up...

The remaining year and a half experience i have back home was full time, 8 1/2 hour days 5 days a week.. so thats no issue.

The problem is, it is a point based visa, so i need 60 points, I do well on them because of my age but i need to do a English test which seems a bit ludicrous seeing as I am English. I keep doing the IELTS practice tests and i keep failing miserably... Only achieving 7-7.5 max. Im clearly not Intelligent\English enough!!!! I need 8's to prove i have Superior English for 20 points if TRA don't accept my experience back home...

I know I could wait another year and a half and go down a different route of PR, but i really want to get the ball rolling, although this probably won't be an option if i can't prove i have the required experience back home!

Does anyone know how strict TRA are? Does the fact i have an extra half a year of experience on top of the required 3, although not gained full time in the first two years, give me a bit more argument on my side? Or is there no argument when it comes to these things?!

Id be very grateful if someone could give me some advice! :jiggy:

T1T1

Hi!

I went through another assessing body, so I don't know about how strict TRA are but from my experiences:

Do you think your hours average out at the hours worked? If so (to be honest even if not) just ask your previous employer to write you averaged that time in the letter they write. They have to include that information anyway. Holidays are normal too..25 days off +weekends and bank holidays is completely normal, not sure how it then goes if it goes over that..not sure they could say you were in full time employment if it was more?

http://www.emsaus.com/blog/what-does-my-employer-letter-of-reference-require/

For Vetassess my employer had to basically write out my job description on top of a lot of silly things so in the end he made me write it haha.

Make sure to check exactly what they need to mention for TRA!

Regarding IELTS I was annoyed I had to do it after getting my degrees from England (I'm german and french so otherwise understood the requirement), but when I did it I bumped into an english girl..teaching english. That made me feel better in its ridiculousness ;)

If you're struggling with the tests then keep taking example ones even if it's just to see the kind of questions they ask and what is important to them.

I was really nervous after doing a couple example ones but averaged out at 8.5 and the speaking exam I was the most worried about (because I have a tendency to waffle..) I got a 9 because it was actually a question I'd already had on my practice one so was prepared for. Hopefully you'll have the same luck. It's more understanding how they work than testing your english for a lot of native speakers. Obviously some have a very poor grasp of the language despite being native, but you seem fine so just make your goal to understand exactly what they want from you (ie listening, if you didn't get an answer, under no circumstances think about it because you'll miss what's being said after)

Sorry that was so long without much info.. you could always just marry the girl ;) I'm trying to find a visa sponsor that way haha as my occupation has special requirements to it that am unlikely to meet :(

Hi Poms!!

This is my first post on here, so Hello everyone!

Hope someone can help me out here with my dilemma... I came here to Adelaide last year, on a working holiday visa to a job i had lined up, I'm an Arborist by the way (tree surgeon).

I realised i enjoyed the weather, the job, life style, (like many of you) and I've met an ozzy girl who I'm very fond of, so looks like I'll be staying for a while!!

Currently, I'm on a 457 visa for 3 years i believe, but i now want to get off of this visa and get a 190 state sponsored, I realise I now want a bit more freedom to do what I like, and I know Arborist is on the consolidated list, so i do qualify for the 190.

Im aware I need to do a skills assemement by Trade Recognition Australia, and I'm pretty confident i have the equivalent qualifications they are after to prove I can do my job here, but I'm just a bit worried about proving my experience back home... I have 3 and a half years experience in the uk, (which gains me 5 very valuable points, POTENTIALLY) the first two years i was working for a company but not achieving the minimum 38 hours TRA say you must have consistently... most weeks i did more than 38 or maybe even more with weekend work, BUT some weeks i might have only done 20, and also i even had a few weeks holiday over christmas etc... (everyones entitled to, surely??). Also, I can only prove this with what the TRA consider secondary evidence, with bank statements showing deposits two to three times a week from my employer, and a covering letter he could type me up...

The remaining year and a half experience i have back home was full time, 8 1/2 hour days 5 days a week.. so thats no issue.

The problem is, it is a point based visa, so i need 60 points, I do well on them because of my age but i need to do a English test which seems a bit ludicrous seeing as I am English. I keep doing the IELTS practice tests and i keep failing miserably... Only achieving 7-7.5 max. Im clearly not Intelligent\English enough!!!! I need 8's to prove i have Superior English for 20 points if TRA don't accept my experience back home...

I know I could wait another year and a half and go down a different route of PR, but i really want to get the ball rolling, although this probably won't be an option if i can't prove i have the required experience back home!

Does anyone know how strict TRA are? Does the fact i have an extra half a year of experience on top of the required 3, although not gained full time in the first two years, give me a bit more argument on my side? Or is there no argument when it comes to these things?!

Id be very grateful if someone could give me some advice! :jiggy:

T1T1

May I suggest that you would be well advised to consult a registered migration agent to clear up the issues you have and to advise you about developing a visa strategy?

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you for reply the message, basically I got just two questions, did you have a test or an interview after send the application?

Could you share with me your employment statement for using as a reference?

thank you so much buddy

Hay I have just completed my TRA is there anything I can help with.
Edited by snifter
removed email as per forum rules

Thank you for reply the message, basically I got just two questions, did you have a test or an interview after send the application?

Could you share with me your employment statement for using as a reference? thank you so much buddy

i don't know what you mean about a second application?where are you? Also what skill is it for? I basically printed of the application filed it out and submitted all my evidence such as references from employers wage slips qualifications

Edited by snifter
removed enail from quote