Cheap Parent Visas Part I

Just to update people and perhaps offer a little encouragement to people who are in the queue themselves (or have parents in the queue) it looks as if our 804 visa is about to be finalized. We have got over the last hurdle which was the medical exam - despite having the usual medical problems of people in their seventies. There is still a problem with a mix-up between Centrelink and Commonwealth Bank over our assurance of support but sorting this out should be a formality. We first applied for the visa in September 2006 so the total waiting time has been a little more than seven years.

The final process started with a request for information on September 10 with a deadline of four weeks later. Because I was in England at the time the deadline was extended to October 30. In fact, I managed to beat the deadline and submitted the final information on October 22 so the final stage has taken almost exactly six weeks. The people from the Parent Centre in Perth were extremely efficient and cooperative throughout the process

Many thanks to all who have provided moral support through this thread and particularly to Gill (Gollywobbler) who started the thread. If I can help anyone else who is going through the process please don't hesitate to ask. I don't claim to be an expert but I can at least tell you what has happened to me.

Best Regards

John Shepherd

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

This just an enquiry to see if anyone has used the 143 and 173 visa for their parent(s)?

Looking at the latest info it would seem that getting a 173, then coming over to Oz and once here applying for the 143 would seem the way to go, as there is a £6,000 saving to be made, at current exchange rates. Rather than just applying for a 143 straight off!

Has anyone's parents had the misfortune of coming over on a 173 and then not being granted the 143?

Just trying to get a feel of the best route for MiL.....it will be two years before she can apply, and, I know that the visas may have changed but I just want to get a feel for what/how others parents went about it using the above visas or any others that are currently available.

I look forward to your wise words.

Mis

Hi Alan,

I've gone over the figures again and this is what I've found I would very grateful if you could confirm if my calculations are right, please.

Conts 143 only para 19d2 applicable 1st instalment $2060 - 2nd instalment using para (19j viii) $42 220 giving a total of $44 280

Conts 864 only para 19h2 applicable 1st instalment $3060 - 2nd instalment using para (19l viii) $42 220 giving a total of $45 280

Conts 173 Temp para 19k applicable 1st instalment $2370 - application for Conts 143 para 19b applicable $280 - 2nd instalment using para (19j i) $16 885 giving a total of $19 535

Conts 884 Temp para 19m applicable 1st instalment $3520 - application for Conts 864 para 19g applicable $280 -2nd instalment using para (19l i) $16 885 giving a total of $20 865

I hope you can understand the above and let me know if I am way off the Mark! I know there is other charges such as AOS, Health check, police checks and these will have to be accounted for but just need to make sure we are on the right track with the visa side of things.

Cheers,

Mis

Hi Alan,

From what I can gather he second instalment is the larger figure in all the examples e.g. $42k or $16k. The original visa request is reasonable at $2k or $3k as stated in the examples I have given.

The first 2 examples are for an application with no temporary visa and the second 2 are where someone gets a temp visa.

Or are you saying that there is 2 instalments of either $42k or $16k?

Cheers,

Mis

Hello Mis.

There are second instalments for all visas of the type you have noted above.

Thus there is a second instalment for the 173, and for an 143 that follows a 173.

Ditto for the 884, and for the 864 that follows an 884.

Suggest you might have a re-read of the visa application charges on the immi website.

I think you'll find that the 2 step strategy is more expensive than applying for the permanent residency visa at the outset.

Best regards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
That's what I've tried to detail in the post with all the figures and the relevant para numbers. I printed out the latest fees and that's where I got this info from.

I shall have another look on immi to see if there is a link giving some detailed examples.

Thanks for your help.

Mis

Hi Mis

I haven't been arpund lately because I suddenly suffered a pretty unpleasant stroke a few months agp & blah blah. It's not worth dwelling on the details. Also, after my beloved mother's death in Oct 2012. I went through a phase of loathing everything to do with Australia because my mother died there. Bereavement causes irrational thinking, I more or less realise now.

s far as I can gather from your recent posts, you are hoping to save your parents a bit of money. However, whatever ypu do, you will not save them much money via the Contributory Parent or the Contributory Aged Parent routes, my friend.

With my own mother, my sister & I decided that certainty was more important than money. We wanted Mum to know that she would be a full Permant Resident immediately, so we decided to go straight for the 143 and be done with it. That saved extra form-filling at a later date and it elso enabled my mother to hold her head up high from Day One. FWIW, I think the emotional side is every nit as important (if not more so) than the financial side.

That said, I dithered around, wondering which strategy would really be best, etc. Then my sister told me firmly, "If we can apply for Permant Residence immediately then I think that that is what we should do." I reckon that it is very much easier when two headsare involved. Not always possible, I know,but useful when it is possible, my friend.

Cheers

Gill

Edited by Gollywobbler
typo

• 1 month later...

At the risk of boring people, the queue date calculator seems to be working again but the results still can't be trusted. As an example, we actually got the visa three months ago but the queue date calculator says that there are still 400 people in front of us in the queue. A cynic might think that they are deliberately exaggerating the waiting time for the 804 visa to encourage people to apply for the contributory visas instead. Further evidence for this comes from the immi.gov website at

https://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/804.aspx

Which was revised as recently as 25 Feb 2014. It still says that "There can be long waiting times of up to 13 years before this visa is approved." This statement is clearly untrue. The current waiting time for the 804 visa is a little over seven years and this has hardly changed for the last ten years or so. My advice for people still in the queue is to sit tight and take no notice of the calculator. You will reach the front of the queue about seven years after first applying for the visa.

Regards

JBS

Edited by johnbshepherd

Just to add to the DIBP info updates

From 22 March 2014, the Migration Regulations 1994 (the Regulations) are amended to increase the visa application charge for Contributory Parent (Migrant) (Class CA) visa and Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) (Class DG) visa to the limit prescribed by the Migration (Visa Application) Charge Act 1997.

e.g. Base application charge $3520, second instalment $43,600

http://www.immi.gov.au/About/Pages/l...140322-12.aspx

• 4 weeks later...

Got a question about Medicals for aged parents. We are planning to emmigrate this July, which will in effect leave OH mother alone as OH sister is already in Oz. But she is currently undergoing treatment for Breast Cancer. Alls gone well and looks like its done and dusted, but what are the chances of MIL passing a medical for an aged parent visa, in the future? As she has it in her head that theres no reason to apply as they just won't accept her now.

Hello l1sa.

We have had a client with breast cancer successfully treated who has been granted a subclass 143 Contributory Parent visa recently - the same criteria apply to a 143 as for an 804.

If you would like to discuss this with our UK based consultant who also looked after the subclass 143 visa client please feel able to send a PM or email to me (click on my name to the left of this post) with your name and phone number/s.

Best regards.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like bad news for the 804 and 103 visas in the 2014 budget today. I quote

"The Family Stream will refocus on meeting the increasing demand for close family reunions. The additional partner and child places will be made available as a result of the cessation of new applications from the other family and parent (non‑contributory) places. This cessation will also enable faster processing of existing applications."

As I understand that it means that applicants who are already in the queue will get their visas more quickly but that new applications will no longer be accepted. Perhaps someone with greater knowledge than me could comment.

Cheers

Hi Ktee

The details are that a comment was made within the budget that stated

"The Family Stream will refocus on meeting the increasing demand for close family reunions. The additional partner and child places will be made available as a result of the cessation of new applications from the other family and parent (non‑contributory) places. This cessation will also enable faster processing of existing applications."

This appears to suggest that he non-contributory parent visa places will be removed (obviously we must wait for a full official announcement with the actual details).

But if anyone has been considering one of the non-contributory parent visa options you might investigate this quickly as there is . likely to be a rush of applications.