Window insulation - recommendations please

Sallyh

When we moved in the previous tenants (college housing, seen better days) had stuffed something between the sash window panels to keep out the draughts.

It's a really draughty house though as its a town house actually we do ok with neighbours both sides. Just need to deal with the windows especially as we have no heating except 1 gas heater in the kitchen (????!) and it's a 3 storey house.

I want to insulate the Windows a bit like my parents did when we didn't have double glazing when i was a kid. :)

I've found one link to this here:

http://enviroshop.com.au/shop/duck-window-insulation-10-window-kit-2865.html

Has anyone used this stuff? Recommendations if you have please? Student budget and rental house so pretty limited in what we can do.

"Scotch" do a similar product which my daughter used while they were in a rental in NZ. She found it quite difficult to apply and seal properly, even with the hairdryer, but there was quite a bit of damp in the property which did not help either. Some of it only lasted a few weeks.

She did several things together which improved the house, heavy curtains at doors and windows, draught seals around same and the landlord installed one of those things I think was called a heat transfer pump to spread the heat to an unheated part of the house, so it would be difficult to say how efficient the film was. Personally, I felt the heavy drapes, mostly from OP shops, did a better job than the film, but I haven't seem any technical data on it, to see if it really works.

Thanks that's helpful. It's not too bad at night (the curtains are ok) but I struggle with the draughts in the day and I like as much light in as possible, so I tie the curtains back in daytime as far as I can. The house doesn't get an amazing amount of natural light in the Windows (good and bad!) and I do find it affects me as much as early darkness used to in the winter in the uk!!! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes we are actually going to get the halogen heaters from Bunnings and I did read that they are cheap to run too (we have had those in previous years). But the bigger problem is the cold air coming in so anything we do before we deal with that is a waste of money I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk