Norwood Morialta High School

Kaihan

Hi,

I have two boys, aged 12 and 15 this year. Planning to move to SA next year and looking for a good high school for them. However, I am not sure if my younger son turning 13 next year will be in Year 7 or Year 8? I wonder if I can send both of them to Norwood Morialta High School? 

However, I understand that Norwood Morialta High School has two campuses, one for middle school and another for senior school. Anyone who has kids going to Norwood Morialta in both campuses facing any difficulties? R they closed by?

Thank you in advances for your comments.

Your first focus point is that the high school is zoned

https://www.decd.sa.gov.au/sites-and-facilities/education-and-care-locations/school-zones/high-school-zoning/eastern-adelaide-zoned-schools

Norwood primary is also

https://www.decd.sa.gov.au/sites-and-facilities/education-and-care-locations/school-zones/primary-school-zoning/eastern-adelaide-primary-school-zones

You'd need to live in the zone to be accepted. A short term lease isn't going to cut it I don't expect. You'll be needing a 12 month one and by the looks of it, a bill to back it up.

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/education-and-learning/schools/choosing-a-school/enrolling-in-high-school

What is your child's DOB is the easiest way to work out what year. 

2 hours ago, Kaihan said:

Hi,

I have two boys, aged 12 and 15 this year. Planning to move to SA next year and looking for a good high school for them. However, I am not sure if my younger son turning 13 next year will be in Year 7 or Year 8? I wonder if I can send both of them to Norwood Morialta High School? 

However, I understand that Norwood Morialta High School has two campuses, one for middle school and another for senior school. Anyone who has kids going to Norwood Morialta in both campuses facing any difficulties? R they closed by?

Thank you in advances for your comments.

I have one son currently at the middle campus and will be heading to the senior campus next year and another son due to start at the middle campus next year.  The youngest will be walking to school and the eldest will be catching a bus.  Lots of kids here catch the bus to school, especially when they get to the senior years (unless they have a car in which case they might drive themselves to school).  The campuses are fairly close, but not really walking distance from each other.  Probably less than 5 minutes in the car without traffic.  Both campuses are on various bus routes and one bus goes past both campuses.  Have a look at the locations of the school on Google Maps.  As Snifter says the school is zoned but they do take students out of zone if they have places.  They also have a number of programs for entry in year 8 that are by selection and are open to students living out of the school zone.

When does your 12 year old turn 13?  This will determine whether he will be in year 7 or year 8.  If he turns 13 before May then he would be in year 8, after that then year 7.  There is some flexibility with ages though and you could work with the schools to work out which year level would be best for your son.  If your youngest did end up in primary school the closest primary schools to Norwood Morialta High School are probably Stradbroke Primary and Magill Primary.  Stradbroke is zoned and I think Magill is too, but out of zone entry to year 7 would probably depend on if they had space in the year 7 classes.

Hi Snifter and NicF,

Thank you so much for your valuable information. 

My younger son will turned 13 years old on 17/1/18. Looks like we may have missed the Yr 7 to 8 transition process. Does that mean that we have to apply through the school directly? 

We are only able to move to Adelaide next year as we are still awaiting for our visa 489. Do you think we should visit Adelaide end of the year to visit schools and looks for properties to rent? Or we can't do much without the securing the visa first. The school should be able to accept kids during mid year right? 

Based on personal experience, which term is best to start of?

Thanks again :)

No point unless you have the visa imho. Apply to the school directly once you arrive. End of the year is the summer holidays and holiday rentals are hard to find and schools are closed also. Dont see you'd achieve much visiting tbh.

Schools aceept intake or transfers within the year so you'll have no problems there. Just ensure you live in the zone if you want to be certain of a place.