Expired Passport

KRAZZY10

Hey Folks.. just a question if someone could please answer.

My citizenship is due soon as i am.on PR visa for more than 1 year and here in Aistralia since last 4 years so i am eligible now but my passport has expired already.

Does anyone knows if its mandatory to renew passport first which if yes. Just a waste of money.??

Not sure as search a lot but so far no proper information. So.please of someone could brief on it.?

Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

For what its worth... and from my experience, I believe the new rules they introduced/trying to introduce, require you to have PR for 4 years before you can apply for citizenship. I speak from experience ....been here for 7 years , 3.5 years PR and am still not eligible for citizenship now  (I should have applied for it while I could, under the old rules...but I didnt) ...so Krazzy10 I would double check your eligibility before going to all the trouble of shorting out passports and other paperwork firstly.

Cheers.

10 hours ago, Seán said:

For what its worth... and from my experience, I believe the new rules they introduced/trying to introduce, require you to have PR for 4 years before you can apply for citizenship. I speak from experience ....been here for 7 years , 3.5 years PR and am still not eligible for citizenship now  (I should have applied for it while I could, under the old rules...but I didnt) ...so Krazzy10 I would double check your eligibility before going to all the trouble of shorting out passports and other paperwork firstly.

Cheers.

The new rules have been defeated and applications are being processed under the existing rules, which require you to have lived here for 4 years with one year as PR.. Assuming you have not left the country for more than 12 months in that 7 years you have been here you should be eligible for citizenship now.

• Like 1

Wow...wasnt aware that they are now again processing under existing rules...I will have another go at that then ! Last time I tried , the online application just stopped me in my tracks once I had input my PR reference number....

Thanks for heads up NICf ...I will get on this asap...

Cheers.

Just an update on my end. I was indeed able to submit my application for citizenship, so thank you ever so much NicF for the heads up. I originally tried to apply online in May of this year, but could not proceed very far, once the system checked my PR date. However no problem this time around. So all good. Apparently, processing time is 10-14 months....dont you love the efficiency?  

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sallyh said:

10-14 months???? No way. I applied in Jan this year and got mine by May. Are you sure that's months not weeks?

Yes.  All citizenship applications from April 20th were put on hold while some legislation to change the requirements went through parliament.  This legislation was defeated just a short while ago and at that point DBIP started processing applications again.  Given that there would be around 6 months worth of applications submitted and not processed the waiting times have blown out significantly.