Prescription charges

flossybeth

We've been here 6 years and I've never really thought too much about prescription charges; we're not too reliant on prescription medication and the few we do need I generally pick up from our closest which happens to be a Chemist Warehouse.

This last week though I knew I needed my prescription refilled and that I wouldn't be able to get to the chemist so I asked my husband to pick it up from the chemist on campus (he works at one of the unis) - it cost $21, it usually costs $9 (and I even had the chemist phone me once to tell me they'd overcharged for the generic and I should go back for a refund!). I don't know if it's just because he didn't specify that he'd be happy with the generic or what but it's certainly given us a shake to remember that everything is not equal!

Yeah, it can vary. I’ve paid a few dollars more for the same thing depending on which pharmacy I go to. 

They always ask if you want the generic option which is good. A few things I can’t get generic of sonjave to suck up the cost. I’ve yet to pay over $40 for anything I’ve needed thankfully.  

Do you think paying for them like this makes you more inclined to finish the course rather than when you pay a set £7.80 fee or whatever it is now on the NHS?  I mean it’s great to get meds for such a low set price but when the actual cost is noticeably more some people perhaps don’t appreciate what it is they have there IYKWIM. I always finish the course but am even more aware here now of the costs and so on. 

My OH has tablets he takes regularly.  At Chemist warehouse and our local discount chemist (can’t remember the name) they cost $6.50, but I have paid $15 and $19 for them in other chemists.  Drug prices definitely vary from chemist to chemist and can be quite large differences, even buying the generic brands.

I was on daily meds for a couple of years - I usually got my prescription from Chemist Warehouse as it's close to my work, it cost me around $20 for a three month supply. Not bad. I had to renew my prescription over a weekend at one point so went to a smaller chemist in Glenelg (the one by the IGA on Diagonal Road) - the same three month supply of a generic-branded drug cost me nearly $70!

Moral of the story is that prescription charges can vary wildly from chemist to chemist and if you're picking up your script from a chemist you don't normally use them always ask the price before getting them to dispense it.

In my case it had already been dispensed and because of the British inside of me I just paid for it and left... :S

I'd always try Chemist Warehouse first - they're usually cheaper for a lot of things.