Advice Please.shipping Household Goods.

sueoc

Hi friends,We now have our visas(me,hubby,2 teenage boys).We are due to fly out late July,early august ,we are in Liverpool and would appreciate advice as to when and who we should use to transport our belongings.How does this all work,as it is new to us.There is no furniture to take,just a fair amount of BELONGINGS AND CLOTHES.We have no accommodation lined up as yet,and will rent initially,so how much will storage costs be in Adelaide?We really could do with sound advice,our house in England is not going to sell in time so we shall try to let it out through a reputable ,established local agent.What would you do in our situation?Thanks and HELP!!!

Guest philnjulie

hi there,

we used john masons who are based in liverpool they were great, u most probably will be part load in a container the container will not leave until its full u might be without your belongings for a good while

phil

hi ya i brought everything from our two bedhouse in london and my snap-on tool box, remember if you bring anything from garden or its touched the floor it has to be very clean and then cleaned again with jays fluid..i used a 20' reefer container and everything is here now (well at kent removals in adelaide) dont get it until 2 weeks time all to do with inspections or something, theres nothing to inspect i know where the drugs are kept just hope they dont find them :biglaugh: when i went to give them some keys i saw my stuff you never know the feeling of beening so happy seening all your

stuff after nearly 8 weeks from uk

alex

Guest mubley

Try http://www.removals-shipping.co.uk/ for removals if only for useful advice.

Storage: http://www.storage2000.com.au/lonsdaleprices.htm for anidea of storage costs.

Remember you are competing against locals who know the requirements of landlords/lettiing agents when it comes to renting (100 points test) - so become well prepared with documentaion that will support your application including previous rental history if you have any.

Suggest you set up a bank account before you leave e.g. Commonwealth Bank

Get your Medicare card as soon as you can - offices in all main shopping areas.

Driving licence requirements: http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/licences_certification/drivers/overseas_residents.asp

Guest Django

How much room do all your belongs take up?? If you haven't any furniture to gring over then I shouldn't think you will be needing a whole container. You may well need a part container though. These can take anything from 6 - 10 weeks to get there so you will be there long before it is unless you send it well in advance.

Get loads of quotes. You can get a list of shipping agents on 'Adelaide Bound' ..... http://www.adelaidebound.com/migrating.htm

Good luck

Pete

How much room do all your belongs take up?? If you haven't any furniture to gring over then I shouldn't think you will be needing a whole container. You may well need a part container though. These can take anything from 6 - 10 weeks to get there so you will be there long before it is unless you send it well in advance.

Get loads of quotes. You can get a list of shipping agents on 'Adelaide Bound' ..... http://www.adelaidebound.com/migrating.htm

Good luck

Pete

Thanks ATB

hi we are from liverpool,got john masons coming out to pack on thursday.

we are putting our stuff in storage untill the visa comes.

they will bring your stuff to where ever your living in adelaide as long as its a 30 miles radis of adelaide airport.

hope this helps

suexxx

Guest Libby1971

We had several companies quote for us and we, like you, brought no furniture (I tell a lie, one sideboard). We had just over a third of a garage which took about 7-8 weeks to get here, much quicker than I thought.

We found the 2 best quotes were from Whites and Bishops Move. We chose Whites in the end because their quote included 10 weeks storage at this end. It cost about £1400 last April.

When you go to a rental viewing, the agent will ask you to complete an application form. You will then be asked to present the supporting documents for this either the next day or the same day if you can.

This will be your passport - you are who you say you are, confirmation that you can pay the rent either in the form of a job or through your bank balance. We were asked to provide a bank statement which I refused to do. However my compromise was to ask the bank to print off a balance on headed paper which was fine.

We were also advised to offer to pay 3-4 months up front to offset the fact that you have no Aussie history. We got the first house we applied for. Others I know have not done this though it may be luck of the draw.

Libby