1st Christmas in Oz?

Guest ReadyPenny

Guest the staffords
I LOVE christmas; and this year will be my first in OZ.

Dunno how i will cope, cooking for only 6 of us instead of the usual 18.........but i am gonna give it a darn good go

If i am sorted, Matt (cornish); you are welcome to join us........i couldn't bear anyone being alone at xmas.......espesh without the wife and muttlets!

Im sure the staffords would be willing for us not to take up Pauls kind offer, i can almost see him wiping the sweat off the brow;

TraLaLaLa, tra la,la,lahhhhhhhhhhh

:biglaugh::biglaugh:..xmas ...bah humbug..were muslim jane!!!

Guest graandjac
:):sad:on the flip side of missing family at christmas, remember all the hastle that goes with it , where to go , which family will be pi**ed off because we went to the other familys on christmas day......we're looking forward to a friends christmas, some time down the beach, getting together with some new mates...........no pressure doing what Jac , the kids and I want to do......

Christmas is what you make of it wherever you are in the world. Yes you may miss the large family gatherings if that is what you had, but you can also decide which traditions you would like to keep and those that you may wish to jettison. You may also add some new ones like breakfast at the beach or whatever.

Christmas really begins here with the pageant, when Father Christmas comes to town. The pageant is a huge parade of floats, about 70 and roving clowns, dancers etc. It is held in early November in town. The floats all line up on South Tce by Pulteney Grammar and the roads along the route close to traffic by about 7.30. The route goes fromSouth Terrace,up king William St, along Pirie St, through Hindmarsh Square, down Grenfell st to King W st and along North Terrace to David Jones. People get together with friends and go down with blankets and chairs, bagging a spot along the route and have breakfast while they wait. The parade is always led by 4 Police Greys(beautiful horses which the police used to breed especially to stand out in the bush)Everyone watches for a sight of them, cos it means the pageant is underway and the floats are coming. There are brass bands, pipe bands, singers, dancers, musicians inbetween the floats and the clowns. There are two special floats with rocking horses on called Nipper and Nimble, which children can later ride on in the Magic Cave. Father Christmas in his sleigh brings up the rear of the parade and enters David Jones to sit in his Magic Cave.

Father Christmas also resides in most shopping centres and large stores like Myers, but we know the real one is in David Jones. Take your children out of school for a trip to the magic cave, cos it can be busy at other times. I used to take mine on the last late night opening before Christmas. It's free, but you can pay for photos to be taken.

Take a walk around your neighbourhood and look at the lights people have put up on their houses. There's usually one in every area that puts up a really good display.

Take a drive to Lobethal in the hills, where whole streets are lit up with Christmas lights.

Go to the shops closer to Christmas and marvel at all the summer fruit, like cherries, mangoes, plums, peaches, melons that are in season and taste great. stock up on local wines.

Put up your Christmas tree with lights. Post your cards to England early.

People still stock up on Christmassy food likeNuts, Mince Pies, Christmas Pudding, Cakes and Turkey, but they may also wait to see what the weather is like and have seafood or a bbq.

One of the traditions we built up was to go on Christmas eve to the brewery lights at West End. The brewery puts on a display on the riverbank on their side of the brewery. There are a few kiddy rides , lucky dips, doughnuts etc on sale. You walk along the river bank looking at the displays.

In Rundle Mall there are carol singers sometimes.

A new tradition you may like is Carols By Candlelight. The main one is just before Christmas in Elder Park, but lots of councils hold their own smaller ones. Everyone goes down to the park with their blankets, chairs and a picnic. You buy candles ( proceeds to charity) and get the carol sheets.

There is a stage which has celebs and choirs on, as it gets dark the candles are lit and everyone joins in singing, it's a really pretty sight especially on a balmy night.

Christmas day is often spent visiting friends and family, or it may be your turn as a host. Kids put up stocking or pillowcases, presents are under the tree. Last year we had Christmas lunch on our verandah and then met up with family for informal snacks around their pool. We stayed sitting outside til'10pm. It was not cold.

Boxing day is also spent visiting or having people over to help you eat the leftovers. Then it's back to work until New Years Eve.

A lot of people head down to the beach for NYE. Glenelg puts on a bit of a party with bands etc, it can be a bit full on for young children, but younger families go further along the coast on the grass, if it's hot then people will still be in the sea. Come midnight, kids may run around with sparklers, pull poppers and watch the fireworks that are let off along the coast. Alternatively, more inland councils hold small fireworks displays. Some people just have friends over for a bbq, sitting outside with the champers and then jam the phones trying to send New Year messages on their mobile phones.Remeber once here you will be celebrating 10 hours ahead of the UK.

So yes it will be hard for your first christmases out here, but like the first ones you had away from home, you will begin your own traditions. And you won't have to have all the inlaws around :DAnd you can watch the Queen give her message on ABC.

i love this post racheal, dont fancy writing it all down though me fingers would'nt take it hehe

is there anyway of printing it off? will defo need this info when we land so we wont be too lonely and get the kids to join in all the fun

suexxx