Maggiemoo

Family Assistance

Guest Carl Hallam
    Is it true that on a PR visa you are not entitled to any help for the first 2 years?

as far as we are awear yes , i am on a subclass 100 (my partners an ausie) and we have been told that i cannot claim or have any tax benifits for 2 years although she can and our children, not sure of your situation by pr do you mean permanent/ indefinate as thats what we are on.

My understanding is as a permanent resident you can not claim dole money for 2yrs but you will receive family assistance etc.....

Guest ReadyPenny

Yes I understood that too. On PR you can get family and rent assistance but no benefits to help you if you are out of work. These benefits are means tested but you are entitled to them. Have you checked centrelink.gov.au? All the details are on there regarding the income limits for claims etc

We came over on a 136 visa 18 months ago which gives us PR. We are entitled to (and receive) Family Assistance and Child Care Benefit. Centrelink will be able to advise you, they were really helpful when we came over.

Guest njacinthebox

You have to have lived in australia for over 2 years as a permanent resident to get unemployment benefit.

A permanent resident is entitled to Family Assistance, Rent Assistance and Child Care Benefit. These benefits are earnings related.

Your earnings in the Uk during the Australian Tax year will also be taken into account. (Oz tax year July-June)

E.g. If you arrived in January 2009.....they will want to know what you earned in the UK from 1st July 2008. It will then be converted into a dollar figure.

I met someone the other day who was out here on a Perm visa, and had been told by their agent, they weren't entitled to any benefits. Yes that is true to a certain extent...but the ones mentioned above are excluded from the 2 year waiting period.

Guest Django

......and these are back dated to the day you arrived in Australia. You can have it fortnightly or in a lump sum at the end of the financial year.

Pete

......and these are back dated to the day you arrived in Australia. You can have it fortnightly or in a lump sum at the end of the financial year.

Pete

Is this if only your PR/or if temp resident, when your PR is granted surely?

Thanks all for your replies. It is all quite confusing. I knew about the unemployment benefit not being paid (hopefully will not need that!!) but wasn't sure about the other benefits. I will take a look at the centrelink website.