Childcare Costs?

Guest Chatterbox

Guest Chatterbox

Hi Everyone

Not sure if I have added this in the right section or not!.....but hopefully someone will be able to help.

We are due to arrive in Adelaide on the 6 May 2009. I have a 5 year old and a 1 year old (boys). Firstly would my 5 year old (he will only of turned 5 in April 09) start School when he arrives or would he have to wait until the start of School Term ie January 2010?

I may also have to put my 1 year old into childcare (depends on the work situation). But I am a bit concerned over the cost! I watched 'Wanted Down Under' Revisited yesterday and they were talking about Childcare costing $600 a week!!! :arghh: Thats very expensive...I currently pay £35 per day.

Can anyone please give me some advice on either of the above.

Many Thanks

Hermione, Stephen (Brickie), George (4) & Harry (1)

I think the centre that my son recently attended charge around $65 a day. If you are on a Permanent visa, you will be able to apply for child care benefit which will reduce the fees.

Child care benefit is family earnings related...more you earn, the less benefit you will get.

Also, on a quarterly basis, 50% of your out of pocket expenses (i.e. the fees you have actually paid after benefit has been taken off), is reimbursed to you.

Guest Chatterbox

Thanks everyone for your responses...very helpful! :notworthy:

Just one more thing. You mention benefits? Do we need to have lived in Oz for a length of time before we qualify or do we qualify immediately?

We have a Permanent Residency Visa.

Thanks again

Hermione, Stephen (Brickie), George 4 & Harry 1

:wubclub:

Thanks everyone for your responses...very helpful! :notworthy:

Just one more thing. You mention benefits? Do we need to have lived in Oz for a length of time before we qualify or do we qualify immediately?

We have a Permanent Residency Visa.

Thanks again

Hermione, Stephen (Brickie), George 4 & Harry 1

:wubclub:

You have Permanent Residency.....you will be entitled to claim family assistance, rent assistance and child care benefit.....again it will be earnings related.

Everything else, i think is a 2 year wait

eg. my son attended fulltime nursery (now on 4 days) we were entitled to childcare benefit which was 40% of the benefit (not the fee) (about $80 a week)this brought his fees down to $462 a fortnight. Every 13 weeks we got a lump sum of $1400 back :Dits about $600 a fortnight otherwise. You dont have to work fulltime to recieve the benefit either, it covers you for up to 50hrs a week childcare x