Pros and cons of Adelaide

Guest jabaspurs

Guest SA Great
Adeladie can be very appealing if you have a young family. It also has seasons which is an advantage.

But the disadvantage is its very cold in winter and the houses are poorly built with little insulation. Job opportunities are also limited.

There is also not alot to do. (People do get fed up of the beach)

If you have older childen than Adelaide is not so appealing. Older children are more likely to go off to uni in Melbourne, Syndey etc.

I know of a family who moved to Brisbrane 12 years ago. They had a 4 bedroomed modern house in UK. In Brisbrane they have a lovely bungalow with large gardens and pool. They also have a boat. One of there sons works at the famous Aus zoo. This family is very happy.

I know of another family that moved to Brisbrane 3 months ago. They had family there. The family gave them a lovely house to live in, with pool. But 3 months later they have returned to the UK because they were not happy. Some people would question they did not give themselves long enough. But they have returned to the UK, kids in the same school and doing the same activities. The husband has been given his job back. These people are much happier in the UK. All they need to do now is look for a house.

There are lots of people who live in Adelaide, France, Spain etc who made the decision to leave England and are not happy where there are. However, the sad part is if these people sell there house it still would not give them enough funds to move back to England and start up again.

Sorry to be picky Lynne but its Brisbane not Brisbrane!!! Not a bad post though. Anyway just out of curiosity where do you live UK or Australia?

i really do think Adelaide is a place that grows on you. I found it a huge culture shock at first, and finding the right job can be make or break for some people. Yes theres many things i miss about the uk, but you know what, this place isnt so bad if you spend the time looking for things to do! I wouldnt swap my half hour lunches by glenlg jetty for a dreary day in manchester. Yes id love to teleport over for a brew with my mum and best mate, but the reality for me is i feel safe here, knowing my son can grow in a place that is much safer than where we left.

I never thought id hear myself say this. I feel ive grown as a person since coming here, having to make new friends etc has given me alot more confidence. I love my job now (ok 90% of the time, we all have that 10% grr lol). Im writing a book and enrolling at tafe, ive met some wondeful people. Theres a hidden culture here that you can tap into (thank god for my cousin in law phil!!) Theres much more to adelaide than beaches, sometimes its whats inside you that needs to come out x

disclaimer... i still want next and prawn cocktail crisps :jiggy:

Guest ladybird

Hiya,

We are looking into emigrating to adelaide and have visited before so hopefully i can help a bit! The thing we like most is that it reminds us of home!! Slightly bizarre but true lol We live in Grimsby and the coast is obviously close by, we have easy access to the country and major cities are easy to get to. Adelaide is similar in that you can get a tram from the city to the beach and the country isn't far either. It's unbelievably easy to drive there and people are very friendly. The city is easy to walk round with lots of malls and bigger department stores so bit like Hull for you! Its a very easy going place and reasonable pricewise for a lot of things. We never really discovered any cons and visiting for a month was enough for us to think about emigrating there rather than other places we've toured in Australia. Sorry its a bit long!!!

Hi there

Well that't the first time I have heard of Grimsby being compared to anywhere is Aus!!! Only joking, I was born and bred there, but have been in London now for 20 years and am hopefully on my way to Adelaide. Our visa was lodged at the beginning of Dec 08 so we are playing the big long waiting game. However, our house is sold and we are living in rented accomodation so are in quite a good position. I was back in Grimsby for Xmas, my parents are in New Waltham and my sister in Cleethorpes, you may have even delivered by nieces and nephews!!

Good luck with the application, and may see you on the other side!!

Tina x

• 1 month later...
Guest jabaspurs

Hi, thanks for all your posts. We went to an expo in Leeds today and my wife has decided that Adelaide is for us. Just got to find out which visa to apply for and then plenty of research and saving.

• 4 months later...
Guest BeatleJuice
No we are still in UK. We fly out next Sunday 01 March and arrive on 3rd. Done a reccie last year and that's how I know what it's like there.

Adelaide hills.......I LOVE IT!

Guest BeatleJuice
Hi, it's been a while since i've been on just thought if anyone else has any more pro's & cons which would eb help full for myself and others.

my personel opinion dont go to Brissy stay in Adelaide, brissy is getting more and more like sydney and melbourne everyday (cons) Adelaide is great plenty for kids to do and alot safer, but that is just my opinion and i have lived in QLD, SA, WA and Tas. Have no plans on ever living in Sydney, Melboure or Brisbane.

hi everyone,

i'm sure this has been posted before or something similar. But i'm torn between going to brisbane or adelaide.

Please could anyone give me any pros and cons about adelaide.

All info would be helpful

hi personally i would choose adelaide, friendly people ,better weather

<not humid>and not as many creepy crawlies.

We went last year and the roads were so busy ,gold coast was like any busy sea side town .fast food and arcade games.

Austalia zoo worth a visit highlight of our trip ,takes a few hours from gold coast though, good luck

Guest Allybinoz42

Hi

I have lived in Adelaide for 7 years before that London and Manchester.

Adelaide is small, easy going and easy to get around.

The climate is good, after seven years I actually like autumn, winter and spring and don't much care for the 40+ days of summer. Winter days go from 700-530, unlike Britain and there is sun. Night time can be cooler but I would never say it is very cold. Rainy weather never sets in for long.

In winter you can go walking in the hills, very beautiful, with views of the coast.

Then there are the beaches which on the whole are unspoilt and underdeveloped. I found Queensland to be beautiful but more developed and without 4 distinct seasons.

Adelaide can be a bit slow, both socially and job wise. It is good if you already know people or are the sort who doesn't mind making an effort.

It is a really good place to live, especially with kids, but sometimes I do miss the pace of a bigger city. Depends what you are after.

Guest milly123
Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been posted before or something similar. But i'm torn between going to Brisbane or Adelaide.

Please could anyone give me any pros and cons about Adelaide.

All info would be helpful

Just came back from a week in the Gold Coast, 1 hrs drive from Brisbane. Fantastic all you would expect from OZ, mix between L.A / Orlando / Spain , etc.

Live in Adelaide very laid back, bit quite sometimes, mixed weather, bit stuck in the mud at times, but good for families.