Numbers of uk immigrants

Guest redfoxy

Guest Kazzarazza
I bow to your better judgement Diane. Nearly three quarters of the folk I meet are on this visa - but maybe its just a fluke.

I know you have more experience of this.

Nick

x

Sorry Nick.

I have to agree with Dianne on this one too. Having been here since 1990, and met hundreds of ex-poms along the way, they all chose Adelaide and came on PR. The 495 / 475 / 457 visas have only been around for a relatively short period of time and recent arrivals, through sites like this, have had the opportunity to meet-up with others who came out at a similar time to themselves (my contact with people on these visas would be less than 5%). The rest of us just got on with it.

I'm not knocking it, for a minute. I think the information that is readily available these days is amazing. I found Poms In Adelaide last Sept/Oct, looking for up to date migration and sponsorship info for my step-daughter, and we would have been lost without it.

Back to the thread, a call to Immigration SA re-confirmed that if ALL criteria is met the 495 and 475 PROVISIONAL visa is a pathway to PR. Keep looking forward to the rest of your lives in this wonderful place.

Cheers.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redfoxy
Sorry Nick.

I have to agree with Dianne on this one too. Having been here since 1990, and met hundreds of ex-poms along the way, they all chose Adelaide and came on PR. The 495 / 475 / 457 visas have only been around for a relatively short period of time and recent arrivals, through sites like this, have had the opportunity to meet-up with others who came out at a similar time to themselves (my contact with people on these visas would be less than 5%). The rest of us just got on with it.

I'm not knocking it, for a minute. I think the information that is readily available these days is amazing. I found Poms In Adelaide last Sept/Oct, looking for up to date migration and sponsorship info for my step-daughter, and we would have been lost without it.

Back to the thread, a call to Immigration SA re-confirmed that if ALL criteria is met the 495 and 475 PROVISIONAL visa is a pathway to PR. Keep looking forward to the rest of your lives in this wonderful place.

Cheers.

Thanks for re assurance about the 495 etc

However, I do beleive there is a little truth in the "plenty of 495 ers on SA" theory. Given a choice we would have gone to Perth, still may but dont want to move again.

Guest Nick11

A poll wouldn't be a true indication - I'm sure there must be figures out there somewhere -but would be interesting.

Maybe Pete could set it up.

As I said I bow to your better judgement.

Personally we had to come here on a 495 - at that time it was the only state that would accept anyone that had a job on the sol list.My job was on no other 495 list. Now sa have narrowed the list down like the other states.

I still say though - if you have a clean criminal record, in good health and lived full time for 2 year in sa and worked over 35 hours a week for 52 weeks - your provisional visa will become permanent.

Guest Devon

I still say though - if you have a clean criminal record, in good health and lived full time for 2 year in sa and worked over 35 hours a week for 52 weeks - your provisional visa will become permanent.

Should know our results in a couple of weeks so as I say will post on here. As all the above that Nick has quoted has been met in our case. Immi have confirmed this as well.

The good news is though that they have caught up! They kept quoting 10 - 12 months from date of application and it has only taken 7 months from applying to getting co! :notworthy:

Guest Nick11

Ah but do they know about the secret life of Devon!!!!! Underbelly mark 2!!!!!

Only kidding.

Good luck babes. And hope you find what you are looking for back in blighty.

Guest Devon
Ah but do they know about the secret life of Devon!!!!! Underbelly mark 2!!!!!

Only kidding.

Good luck babes. And hope you find what you are looking for back in blighty.

:biglaugh: Thank you hun. Good luck to you as well - I'm sure you don't need it though as you seem to have settled nicely! By the way ssshhhhh don't tell Tyke that I'm letting the visa part go ahead so that I can post the result on here! Too tired for any abuse at the moment:biglaugh:

The part where they tell you you can get PR if you fulfill the criteria not well we may or may not let you stay even though we will give out other visa after you are sent home. Do you seriously think that we would go through selling our homes and packing up our lives if we knew that even though we fulfilled the criteria asked we still would not get to stay. Those of us on PROVISIONAL visa's are worried enough without people like yourself coming along and posting rude comments.

Sorry, I don't recall ever meeting you. I was unaware that you knew me, or indeed any people like me. I have not posted anything RUDE, nor stated my personal opinion about the subject of this thread, or of anyone posting in this thread. I would however suggest that investing in a thesaurus would help. Temporary - provisional ........ look it up.

Now the PROVISONAL visas are just that. If they were an automatic gateway to PR they simply would not exist, and yes I do have a close family member who is currently on a temporary (oops I mean provisional) visa, and we are currently going through that application for PR, which we knew right from the start that we would have to do. We have been thorough in our research and understand that there is a chance of PR not being granted.

Do you seriously think we would have applied for this visa without knowing the facts, uprooted someone, packed up his life, left his home and a VERY lucrative business behind without being fully informed in the first place?

For those in a precarious situation visa wise there is a very good FREE service from the IARC. They have been very helpfull to me in the past. They are migration experts, lawyers, agents etc www.iarc.asn.au/

Guest Martin and Val
I would however suggest that investing in a thesaurus would help. Temporary - provisional ........ look it up.

Now the PROVISONAL visas are just that. If they were an automatic gateway to PR they simply would not exist

In answer to your post yes Temporary - provisional one of the same but in the terms of the Visa they are not!

A Temporary is just that "A Temporary Visa" if the holder wishes to apply for a Permanent Visa they can do but it is a completely new application.

A Provisional Visa is in fact a Temporary Permanent Visa which the applicant after meeting certain criteria can apply for it to be converted to Permanent and is all part of the original application thats why the fees have already been paid for the second stage.

No doubt somebody will dispute this but I don't care this is what I have been told and thats good enough for me.

Martin

(Thesaurus was not used during the writing of this post but spell check was):biglaugh:

My husband is here on a Provisional Visa. It neither has been, or is currently known as a Temporary Permanent Visa. It is a Provisional Visa until his application for a Permanent Visa is either accepted or rejected.

Please provide the DIAC link to the new class of Temporary Permanent Visa.

Guest Martin and Val
My husband is here on a Provisional Visa. It neither has been, or is currently known as a Temporary Permanent Visa. It is a Provisional Visa until his application for a Permanent Visa is either accepted or rejected.

Please provide the DIAC link to the new class of Temporary Permanent Visa.

I was using common sense in my post and trying to make it as easy as possible to understand. As I said "Somebody would disagree" I was in fact sat waiting for it.

Did your husband pay the fees for the second stage of the application? He should have done! Thats why it is called a "PATHWAY TO PERMANENCY" the link has been provided by another poster within this thread you may find it an interesting read. Follow links through it and it will also define the difference between TEMP and PROVISIONAL.

Be happy

Martin

PS: Do I notice in your post that you say your husband has a Provisional Visa?

Did you also notice that at least 6 other members have posted in this thread and referred to their own temporary visas?

Yes, there is an opportunity for a Provisional Visa holder to apply for a Permanent Residency Visa i.e the Pathway to Permanency, but it is an application that can be either accepted OR rejected by DIAC. It is not a given that a Permanent Residency Visa is automatically issued following an application being lodged.

In my opinion I think that the whole concept of Provisional (temp visas as they seem to be colloquially known on here) should be reviewed. As Lorluc said earlier "why have these temp visa's in the first place? If they are willing to let you in the country as you are deemed to have something they want...then why not just go for perm visa's and be done with it!" There are too many visa categories, and too many traps that applicants can fall into. That said, as I posted earlier, if anyone does have a problem then contact the IARC - Immigration Rights and Advice Centre. They are extremely helpfull. http://www.iarc.asn.au/

And yes, if you must know my husband has paid for all his visa processing, though quite what that has to do with anyone else I don't know.

Guest familygood

This is a very interesting thread. Something that concerns me is that a lot of people are currently applying for Provisional 475's becuase the processing has been given priority. Does this mean in 3-4 years time that we will ALL be applying for permanency and what would this mean to the numbers for the government to approve? Its a real concern to me that there is a chance we will get refused a visa even if we meet all their criteria and could be really setlled over there. Yet another thing to worry about... As if making this decision and the visa process isnt hard enough!!!

Guest kangomik

it's a good job you guys don't know how much migrants from other countrys pay for this process!!!!!

As pointed out, you have to make the criteria, basically you have to jump through the hoops. 12 months ago the country was screaming out for migrants, now its applying the brakes. The skilled ones go first, the low paid ones will keep comming, who knows what will happen in another 12 months????.

Someone asked a question about selling up and moving etc..... frankly AUS thinks you have weighed this up, and have made a decision.

If things get worse, i can see this going to a citizen ship thing also.

Just my 5 cents worth (they don't do 2 cents here)

Guest Martin and Val
Did you also notice that at least 6 other members have posted in this thread and referred to their own temporary visas?...

And yes, if you must know my husband has paid for all his visa processing, though quite what that has to do with anyone else I don't know.

I have read and understood all the posts on here and like many others, fed up with all the Visa types, headings and sarcastic comments to other members that have been written.

It's good that all the fees have been paid, or your husband would have been on some other kind of Visa and that would have really thrown a spanner in the works! But yes, your right its nobody else's business.

If you don't mind people knowing your business you would of course join a public forum.

Sorry but I will not be led into a one on one slanging match with you so I will refrain from answering anymore of your comments before I get accused of such.

Thank you for the useful web link I'm certain people will find it of use and good luck with your husbands Visa application.

Martin

Guest Kazzarazza

Yes, there is an opportunity for a Provisional Visa holder to apply for a Permanent Residency Visa i.e the Pathway to Permanency, but it is an application that can be either accepted OR rejected by DIAC. It is not a given that a Permanent Residency Visa is automatically issued following an application being lodged.

It is as long as all of the conditions of the original visa have been met - that's why the application process is as rigorous as the premanent visa process, eg skills assessment, medicals, police checks, stat decs., etc. You need less points for this visa so you get time to prove yourself - if you succeed, you take home the prize!! The alternative would be to study longer before applying to get more qualifications to give you more points. Options = two years study to get more points vs two years settling and working in SA = same end result.

Just wondered, if you're married, why your husband is on a 475 visa. Couldn't he just apply for a spouse visa? :confused:

Guest Kazzarazza
lets be honest its seen as a faster shortcut option to PR, so this is the trap.

Not strictly true. It's a faster shortcut option to getting into Australia. PR is a heck of a lot quicker than 2-3 years if you have the required number of points to qualify.

Cheers.

Guest caoimhe
Sorry, I don't recall ever meeting you. I was unaware that you knew me, or indeed any people like me. I have not posted anything RUDE this thread.

Your previous post stated "what part of TEMPORARY do people not understand" and it appeared to be directed towards those of us who had voiced our concerns about being turned down for PR even if we met the required criteria. Maybe you did not mean too but IMO you came across as rude because it seemed like you were 'insulting' those on temp/provisional visa for expecting to stay here...which we do and only because we were told we could if again we fulfilled the neccessary requirements. NO we have never met so therefore NO I do not know you and as I do not know you I can not say if I know anyone like you but maybe you could reread your posts before submitting if you do not want people to take offense at what you're saying.

Like Martin I will not be led into a one on one slanging match with you so good luck.:wubclub:

Guest Martin and Val
lets be honest its seen as a faster shortcut option to PR, so this is the trap.

Sorry, I don't agree with you. I wouldn't say our route hasn't been very quick and we still have a long way to go.

Just 5 points short of a permanent Visa when we applied all because I was no longer in my trade and therefore couldn't get the valuable extra we needed. But we had the option of a 475 Provisional Visa and we are very grateful to be given this chance in Australia.

We have came with our own money, we are spending it in Australia and we are careful that we spend it on Australian goods were possible. Sorry we drive a Toyota so that's an exception.

Although I cant really speak for a PR visa having not got one, I would have thought that had we been able to apply for one with those extra 5 points we so badly needed then we would now be in Australia as permanent residents, but no we have a couple of years to do yet.

Martin

Guest Thongs Rule
Sorry we drive a Toyota so that's an exception.

Martin

Some Toyota's are made in Australia, so to many people it's just as Australian as Holden or Ford.:notworthy: