Lest we forget......

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

Anzac Day 2009

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

We went to the Anzac ceremony at the Cenotaph in Whitehall many years ago (they now hold it at the memorial at Hyde Park Corner). It was a very moving ceremony, with all the bigwigs in London from Australia and New Zealand, and the British Household Cavalry were there playing 'Waltzing Matilda'. All the traffic down Whitehall was stopped for 10-15 minutes, and at 11 o clock you could hear Big Ben. Very moving.

Guest KP Nuts

This is our first Anzac Day, and yes very moving, but I'm surprised that there aren't any poppy's (uk) or Oz equivalent on sale / donations, well not that I've seen this week.

Guest Devon
This is our first Anzac Day, and yes very moving, but I'm surprised that there aren't any poppy's (uk) or Oz equivalent on sale / donations, well not that I've seen this week.

There are little pins on sale at various shops (know for sure they were in Campbells in Collanades) for the ANZAC appeal

My thoughts go out to all the men, women and childreny whos lives affected by a member of their family being in the armed forces.

My dad was in the British Army, as was my mrs we were the lucky ones who family came hme after each posting.

spare a thought for those people whos members do not return.

LEST WE FORGET.

Guest motlyman

Been watching ABC2 today. they have been covering the ceremonies in Adelaide and also coverage from Gallipoli.

They also did some touching items and stories of soldiers in theses wars. In particular was Len Opie who served in WW2, Korea twice and Vietnam. All voluntary. He recently died of Leukaemia.

Bless em all

Colin