Please help !!!!! Expiry of visa

sush

Hi everyone

We are currently still in the UK

Can someone please try and advise us to what to do here ? Our visa expires at the end of this year and we cannot sell our house:unsure:, We want to extend our visa for another 5 years ? Can someone please direct us in what we need to do and how to get this sorted ? Some people have told us that we are not entitled to do this again ?:unsure:

Thanks

All

Guest Libby1971

I have never heard of anyone extending their visa by 5 years.

To the best of my knowledge, you are awarded your visa which has a date on it by which it must be validated. If it is not validated by that date, the visa is cancelled and you have to start again. There are some posts on here by other members who have been in similar situations to yourself.

I am totally confused about why you need 5 years to extend a visa. There is such a thing as a bridging visa but that is between visas. For example, some people here arrived on temp visas and while their claims are being assessed, they have had a bridging visa granted so that if the assessment is not finished when their temp visa runs out, then they can stay here for up to 12 months after the end of their temp visa.

However your situation is very different to that. Have you used an agent? Can they advise you? I'd call Australia House if I were you but I don't think there is much they can do. Let us know how you get on though.

Guest karenuk

hiya

What visa are you going on?,you have quite abit of time before you need to panic,our visa ran out beginning of April,we could not sell house so that was that we never got to Adelaide,we would have to re-apply and that would not be as straight forward as last time as we will both be 45 years of age.

good luck

karen x

Guest karenuk

hiya me again,forgot to say that the only other way round it is to do a validation trip if you can afford it,unfortunatly we could'nt as we'd done a reccie the year before

karen x

Guest karenuk

hi again

i'm not sure if this is right,and i'm sure someone else will know for sure,but i think the resident return visa,is when you are actually living there and then you leave Australia for a lenghly period of time but want to return to Australia,it's really difficult because the different visa types have different criteria

what visa are you going on?

karenx

Guest Libby1971

I think the difficulty you have Sush is that you are looking at other visas before you have actually confirmed the one you already have. You have been given a visa but you haven't used it. And if you don't use it before it's expiry date you're going to have to ask for another one.

The resident return visa is something that is offered if you live in Australia and leave it for a number of years, I think but you wouldn't qualify for that for years yet.

As a state sponsored visa, your visa is temporary in the first instance i.e. it gives you temporary residency. You will have to complete your specific visa requirements before applying for a perm residency visa in 2-3 years while you are still in Australia. You'll have to stay in Aus while it is being assessed. You will then hopefully get a perm residency visa.

I strongly encourage you to look through the Immig website today and tomorrow and have a list of questions ready to ask Immig on Monday morning. That way, you'll have as much info as you need.

Good luck and tell us the answer!

Guest caoimhe
Sorry guys but the i think the only way is for everyone on the visa to take a break to Oz to get them validated.

This is exactly right. We are on a 496 temp visa and when we were worried we would not sell our house at home we asked our agent what would happen and were told we had to validated by the date stated or it would be lost and we would have to start again

So are you saying that if we went back to Oz we would just go to the Immigration Department in Adelaide and get the Visa validated again, before it expired ?

Here are some previous threads on validating visas which may be useful

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7134

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5971

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7831

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9813

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8417

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9144

Guest nishman

To clarify, there are two "expiry dates" on the visa.

The first is the date you have to have actually passed through passport control in Australia to "active" the visa. This is usually around 1 yr from the medical/police check date. This is the reason many people (like us) have to come out to validate the visa on a recce before this date. We were advised at the time, that this "first entry date" is very rarely extended - only for very special circumstances - and that house not selling was not one of those circumstances.

The second is the actual expiry of the visa - 5 years. If you've activated the visa and fullfilled the requirements of the visa (for instance, spent at least 2years living and working in oz etc, plus any state sponsorship requirements), you may be able to apply for the returning residents visa.

So if it's the first date you're worried about, you'll need to make a special validation trip or lose the visa. Note that you ALL have to get your visa's activated, not just the primary visa holder. If it's the second date, I reckon you'll need to talk to Immigration as others have said and see what your options are.

Sorry if i've confused or stated the obvious :)

To clarify, there are two "expiry dates" on the visa.

The first is the date you have to have actually passed through passport control in Australia to "active" the visa. This is usually around 1 yr from the medical/police check date. This is the reason many people (like us) have to come out to validate the visa on a recce before this date. We were advised at the time, that this "first entry date" is very rarely extended - only for very special circumstances - and that house not selling was not one of those circumstances.

The second is the actual expiry of the visa - 5 years. If you've activated the visa and fullfilled the requirements of the visa (for instance, spent at least 2years living and working in oz etc, plus any state sponsorship requirements), you may be able to apply for the returning residents visa.

So if it's the first date you're worried about, you'll need to make a special validation trip or lose the visa. Note that you ALL have to get your visa's activated, not just the primary visa holder. If it's the second date, I reckon you'll need to talk to Immigration as others have said and see what your options are.

Sorry if i've confused or stated the obvious :)

No mate that makes sense even to me :notworthy:

HG