Yippee, rain's on its way!

Diane

How long does it take to get excited by rain? We've had very little else and/or temperatures in single figures most of the time since early December - 4 months of the wretched stuff! Today, Easter Sunday the sun is shining occasionally but its only 8 degrees and we've just had a hailstorm. The poor daffodils are flattened once again (they're usually in bloom at the end of February and we miss them as we're visiting the family in Adelaide)

Looks like we're in for some decent rains for the next week or so (Adelaide weather - local weather forecast) - you can tell when you've become a true aussie coz you greet this kind of news with a smile rather than a groan!

Totally agree with you Diane. Our first winter here in Adelaide I was sat in the office at work and suddenly it started chucking it down (like UK rain!) and no word of a lie all the Aussies that I worked with all came to the windows and some went outside under the verrandah to watch the rain, I thought they were all mad, but guess what, after 3 years of living here guess what we do now when it really rains...yes, you guessed it, we go and stand at the windows and watch the rain!!!

When you live here you really do appreciate how important it is to us South Australians (and all Australians) when it rains.

The only trouble this time is that it has coincided with OH telling me the Sprite is ready for a run out (after spending all summer in the garage)! Guess who might be getting rained on in a soft top??!!

When we first got here, one of the first thigs we noticed was the height of the kerbs, but the first time you get a proper rainfall, you realise why that's necessary!!

My teenagers emerged from bed this morning to look at it and the state of flooding in the back garden which has a clay soil, so turns into a lake with the first heavy post summer rain. Driving my daughter through the rain to uni this morning ( making sure I go through the flooded gutters to create the biggest wash possible) she remarked that radio stations in the UK would not be encouraging people to ring up and talk about the state of their rain and getting excited about it.

Guest spongebob

My family and I are hoping to move to Australia in the near future. Can anyone tell me exactly how hot it really does get in Adelaide please? Will we, as an English family get used to the heat? Read Adelaide had a heat wave last year and the year before with temps above 40, is that right? how long did it last? Is acclimatising to the weather easy?:notworthy:

Guest Guest75
My family and I are hoping to move to Australia in the near future. Can anyone tell me exactly how hot it really does get in Adelaide please? Will we, as an English family get used to the heat? Read Adelaide had a heat wave last year and the year before with temps above 40, is that right? how long did it last? Is acclimatising to the weather easy?:notworthy:

In my mind I class the hot season from the end of October until the beginning of January - about the times you can swim in the pool at nice temps.

It can be searingly hot here ,but only for a few days at a time then the weather breaks.

It's rare to see 40c or over for long,in fact I don't think we hit it this year?.

Top temp we have had in our time here is 47.5 - which is not funny but you manage.

We did have a couple of "heatwaves" with a good few days strung together at over 35c,after a few days even with good air-conditioning you can feel drained.

Migrants do get used to the heat in a way,more like you learn to cope with and prepare for it. Believe me the Aussies complain about it just as much as Poms do!!

Get a house with good air -con, a car with good air-con, a house with some shade outside, be prepared to go shopping - the Malls are nice and cool .

:cute::cute:

Guest JoTanCalOwen
Driving my daughter through the rain to uni this morning ( making sure I go through the flooded gutters to create the biggest wash possible)

:biglaugh: I do that over here, I think I enjoy it more than the boys lol