Noarlunga Casualty Dept- waiting times

sduffy

Hi Guys,we had to take our daughter to Casualty last night,for an asthma issue.

We got there about 6.45PM and didnt leave until about 2am .

Does anyone have experience of this,we always thought Noarlunga was a lot less waiting than Flinders,anyone know if that is an average waiting

time these days or not.

Just wandering.

Thanks Sue

It really depends what time of day you go, I have normally gone earlier in the day and have never been longer than 2 hours but a friend of mine went around the same time as you and was there til 130 am.

Guest Guest5035

You mentioned arriving and leaving times, but what time after arriving at 6.45pm did you first get assessed, The whole time included being assessed and observing her didn't it??

stevo

Ive been to noarlunga hospital 3 times and have been very impressed with the treatment and very quick, maybe i was just lucky.....last time i went up at 4.30 and was out by 9pm but this included blood tests and scan.

Have only been to flinders once and went straight through because my youngest had a rash but i can imagine the wait to be alot longer than noarlunga...

Jo

Guest holly.c

The upgrade of the Flinders Emergency Dept is causing a lot of patients that arrive there via ambulance to be 'ramped' - this means being held by the Paramedic crew until there's beds available. Because of this, a lot more patients end up being taken by ambulance to other hospitals in order to offload the patients quicker and get the ambulances back on the road rather than tied up with the Paramedics twiddling their thumbs. I imagine there would be a greater demand at Noarlunga at the moment because of this.

Usually Noarlunga is a lot quieter than Flinders - however at the moment you're likely to find there's increased waiting times at most hospitals unfortunately. I wonder whether Noarlunga have taken this into account with their staffing levels? Who knows...

And of course, with patients seen in order of priority, unfortunately this can mean you're increasing pushed down the waiting list depending on what else arrives.

Both my hubbie and I work at Noarlunga ED. It is a very busy hopital as they all are, there has been an increase in seriously ill patients and long waiting times are unfortunatley a regular occurence which is of course frustrating for patients waiting. Be assured that the staff there will always endeavour to treat patients as quickly as possible without comprimising patient care.

I reckon you would wait twice as long if you went to Flinders. IMO

Remember Noarlunga is a small hospital with limited facilities eg No maternity Unit, no paediatrics unit !! So they are under the pump the whole time treating patients that need to be sent on to other hospitals but unfortunately the other hosptials are chocker block to!!

Dont Knock Noarlunga ED we are doing our best!!!!!!

Heidi x

Been to Noarlunga ED a few times now at all hours of the day and night and waiting times have varied but never been hours. When my husband was taken in by ambulance he waited from 8am til about 3pm before he saw a doctor according to him, but he was soo out of it on the drugs he'd been given who knows if he'd been seen prior to that?! Always had good service...

There's always that government website you can look at first, its updated every half hour I think ...... it has all the ED waiting times.My friend works in the ED at Noarlunga ..... she says pretty much what the above poster says ... they are doing their best.

Thanks!

The website information you mentioned is not really a true picture of wait times so to be honest I wouldn't take it as gospel.......

Who is your friend wizzy?

Heidi x

Hi Guys,we had to take our daughter to Casualty last night,for an asthma issue.

We got there about 6.45PM and didnt leave until about 2am .

Does anyone have experience of this,we always thought Noarlunga was a lot less waiting than Flinders,anyone know if that is an average waiting

time these days or not.

Just wandering.

Thanks Sue

Unusually for us, we've only been a few times and it's been excellent. It's a small hospital with a reasonable size population who will use it. Depending on the problem and immediacy, it's sometimes worth going straight to the Women's and Children's Hospital - if you fit the criteria. Especially as Heidi has mentioend that there is no pediatrics section and you may end up being sent there. Obviously, with asthma, it's probably best to go to the nearest hospital with severe cases.

Cooler

A few years ago my daughter hurt her neck and head on a trampoline. She started to experience headaches so went to Noarlunga a&e at 5.30 on a Sunday night. Spoke to the triage nurse who never even looked at her, but took our details. It wasnt overly busy...but a steady stream. Folk came and went..her headache got worse. By 10.45 she was dizzy and feeling sick. The triage nurse refused to see her and gave me 2 paraeceutamol to give to her. By 11.30 the department was nearly empty and we were still waiting...at this point hubby lost his cool and said it was unacceptable..achild with a head injury feeling sick and dizzy shouldn't have to wait 6 hours to see a doctor!!!! She got to see the doctor...who on examining her touch a certain part of her neck and within 30 seconds she was being wheeled down to x-ray with a suspected broken neck!!!!! Glad to say..it wasn't..BUT I will never ever go there again with my kids!!!! Give me Flinders any day!!!!! The staff on the front desk that night were useless.

Thanks guys for your comments.I didnt realise it didnt have a paedeatric dept,so perhaps the Womens and childrens might be more appropriate .Hubby has gone in the past and been out pretty quick,so we were just a bit surprised.

I am not in any way criticising the staff just wanted to establish if this kind of wait is the norm as we would go better prepared next time.My daughter has been quite ill for the last few weeks with other issues and its just such a long wait for a child who is ill and tired.

Sue