Moving out of the city

Blossom

Hello all,

most of us poms head to Adelaide if we move to SA.

Every now and again I drive down to mount Gambier or across to Port Lincoln for work.

Last week I drove to port Lincoln and it always leaves me wondering why more people don't move out of the city.

Places like port Lincoln, tumby bay, even whyalla aren't bad.

I know we have at least one member in kangaroo island.

Where would you live if work was guaranteed to be there?

Personally I really like yankalilla. Not that far out.

And port Lincoln. Just big enough and lovely. Everywhere out of Adelaide seems so much friendlier, more like when I grew up in little villages where everyone says hello to everyone. I even had teenagers saying hi (a big gang with a football) in Cowell last week.

Hi Blossom,

For someone like oursleves who have never been to SA, where would you recommend for 2 adults in 40's and 2 teenagers and 2 dogs? Trying to research SA for good areas and schools, so far like Seaford, Seaford Rise & Seaford Meadows are these the typical areas people like us look at before we come over??

Bal.

I think I would definately get bored living out in a country town. They just seem so isolated. I'm not ready to 'slow down' that much in life. Nice to visit but not for too long. If I wanted a small community spirit, then I would head to an English village where you have the best of both worlds - a small community but not too far from larger civilisation and variety if you want it. My husband has always wanted to live in Quorn - I could cope with a holiday home there but couldn't live there permanently. Must admit that Naracoorte seems a nice place though, and Orroroo is very pleasant.

Guest Guest75

I think that most families that move over percieve living near to the city as having more job and education opportunities.

The only time I see people making the move here but to outlying regions is when they have a firm job offer.

Don't think too many would risk moving out to some of these plaes without a fairly big assuance of work. Off their trolley if they did!

I know a good few that hal "halfway" moved out to such as Mclaren Vale, Mclaren Flat and Willunga.

They love it but still appreciate the "big city" facilities if need be.

I know a good few that hal "halfway" moved out to such as Mclaren Vale, Mclaren Flat and Willunga.

Yep that's us - we came from a small town in Devon and we're finding Adelaide, even with it's small country town title, to be a City - lots of suburbs - some of which are very nice but way beyond anything we could ever afford; so we looked at the towns around and decided McLaren Vale fits. It still has a high street rather than shopping centre (although the convenience of Seaford and Noarlunga have been noted!) and once the trains are running the commute will be relatively easy again from Seaford. It's still close enough to good beaches too whereas when we went to look at Gawler we decided it was just a little too far from the beach, although you got even more for your money up there.

Before we decided on McLaren Vale we toyed briefly with the idea of in for penny and looked at businesses like post offices etc in places like Birdsville (not strictly SA) or moving around to one of the peninsulas and trying our luck but we thought with three children who are about to hit their teens it was just an adventure too far to move them to the middle of nowhere when they haven't grown up with that.

For me though I can't wait until we can actually be settled enough to do some proper exploring of SA and see the small towns because the few that we have seen (Normanville, Naracoorte, Williamstown) are definitely what we came for - it was Cowra in NSW that we loved when we first visited Australia and these small towns definitely have that feel about them - although who knows what changes there would be in Cowra now, 10 years later.

Guest Guest75

Yep that's us - we came from a small town in Devon and we're finding Adelaide, even with it's small country town title, to be a City - lots of suburbs - some of which are very nice but way beyond anything we could ever afford; so we looked at the towns around and decided McLaren Vale fits. It still has a high street rather than shopping centre (although the convenience of Seaford and Noarlunga have been noted!) and once the trains are running the commute will be relatively easy again from Seaford. It's still close enough to good beaches too whereas when we went to look at Gawler we decided it was just a little too far from the beach, although you got even more for your money up there.

Before we decided on McLaren Vale we toyed briefly with the idea of in for penny and looked at businesses like post offices etc in places like Birdsville (not strictly SA) or moving around to one of the peninsulas and trying our luck but we thought with three children who are about to hit their teens it was just an adventure too far to move them to the middle of nowhere when they haven't grown up with that.

For me though I can't wait until we can actually be settled enough to do some proper exploring of SA and see the small towns because the few that we have seen (Normanville, Naracoorte, Williamstown) are definitely what we came for - it was Cowra in NSW that we loved when we first visited Australia and these small towns definitely have that feel about them - although who knows what changes there would be in Cowra now, 10 years later.

Ours have flown the nest now so we get a bit more time to travel.

Funny as we actually moved closer to the city for convenience and friends but now we can travel where and when we want.

Have a good wander around Yorke Peninsula, it's got some lovely small towns. We do wonder just how quiet they will be in winter without the tourists!

We struggled to find the pub at Corney Point - !!!!

We visited Naracoorte whilst we were on holiday in Robe - now that would be a great place to meet halfway - a lovely spot for a holiday, lots of accommodation, beautiful coastline etc etc. Beachport is also a nice spot in the area. We went to Naracoorte to visit the Caves - well worth a visit, very interesting, great for kids. We also went to the Swimming Lake at Naracoorte http://www.naracoortelucindale.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=293 which is huge, free and great on a hot day.

We did it the other way round - stayed at Naracoorte, in a cabin just around the corner from the caves and visited Robe for a day trip. That whole area is lovely, masses of space between places :) We stayed for four days and drove back up the Coorong, so plenty to do and like you say halfway between for you all.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

I reckon we'd be exactly where we are now! I love the country town feel here, walking up the high street with the butchers, bakers etc, the pubs :biggrin: and the kids can walk to school. People are friendly, you get to know people within the community and by god does that community rally round when needed! We are still close enough to Adelaide, the airport etc if needed though.

I love coming down the Victor Harbor road when you come around the bend before heading down to Mclaren. The sight of the hills always makes me think "I'm home" :smile:

I loved the Yorke Peninsula to visit, wouldn't get me living there though, especially not with the kids. Seemed like half of Edithburgh was for sale when we were there, it was almost like a ghost town!

Guest Adelaide_bound

I imagine Cooper Pedy will appeal to us (haven't actually gotten there just yet but from similarities to places up north we have spent time in)....but our hearts might still be in Broome long term. Sigh. Lovely Lovely Broome......

My parents have a house in Moonta,and its a great place.Its approx 165km from Adelaide,so an easy drive for a long weekend getaway type place.Work opportunities there are thin on the ground though.I love rural towns,and I guess alot of people would move to country towns if the work was there.I grew up in Adelaide and could never live back in the burbs.