What makes a Good Migrant to Oz ?

Guest Rob and Clare

Guest Rob and Clare

Just really wondered what everyones perceptions are for what makes a good migrant to Oz... In the office we've put together some questions to see your answers, or does non of it really matter ?

1: Would you buy a treat (some monster munch, or a cadbury whole nut bar) from a British Shop website, Like british corner shop or a British Lolly shop ?

2 : The big one, would you buy something from a British Store on the Net eg M&S ? What about if it was for a Australian Soccer Shirt and it's half the price of any local store ?

3 : Do you or a member of your family still wears an home country national shirt ? (England, Scotland, NI, Wales, Eire,) for any sport and is it ok to ? What about a local team like Man Utd or London Irish Rugby ?

4 : What do you consider is important to integrate and be part of Aussie Life ? BBQ's, The Beach, Festivals in the City, Fishing, AFL ? or non of these ?

5 : How many times have you spoken to someone and compared something to Britain ? How long is it acceptable to do that ?

6 : Do you drive a Australian made car ? If not why not ?

7 : Do you slip slap slop, or glow in the sun ?

8 : Have you gone barefoot to the shops yet ? or thought about growing a beard or rats tail ?

9 : Do you still read a british paper ? either on line or one of the weekly's ?

10 : Do you think british tv programs are still the best ?

Or are there questions of your own.... serious or fun ?

Rob

Guest Guest75
Just really wondered what everyones perceptions are for what makes a good migrant to Oz... In the office we've put together some questions to see your answers, or does non of it really matter ?

1: Would you buy a treat (some monster munch, or a cadbury whole nut bar) from a British Shop website, Like british corner shop or a British Lolly shop ? NO

2 : The big one, would you buy something from a British Store on the Net eg M&S ? What about if it was for a Australian Soccer Shirt and it's half the price of any local store ?NOPE

3 : Do you or a member of your family still wears an home country national shirt ? (England, Scotland, NI, Wales, Eire,) for any sport and is it ok to ? What about a local team like Man Utd or London Irish Rugby ? NEVER DID

4 : What do you consider is important to integrate and be part of Aussie Life ? BBQ's, The Beach, Festivals in the City, Fishing, AFL ? or non of these ?ALL OF THE ABOVE PLUS LOADS MORE -MAKE AN EFFORT TO MIX.

5 : How many times have you spoken to someone and compared something to Britain ? How long is it acceptable to do that ? I HAVE _ BUT ONLY TO SAY IN GENERAL HOW MUCH BETTER THINGS ARE HERE.

6 : Do you drive a Australian made car ? If not why not ? ERRMMM??? - MINE IS A TOYOTA 4WD - So nearly AUSSIE :o

7 : Do you slip slap slop, or glow in the sun ? I TRY TO AND DO WEAR HATS NOW.I DID FORGET TO SLAP SOME ON MY FEET THE OTHER WEEK_ AFTER A 6HR FISHING SESSION I PAID FOR IT!:swoon:

8 : Have you gone barefoot to the shops yet ? or thought about growing a beard or rats tail ?NOPE,DID BAREFOOT IN GREECE AND STOOD ON AN UPTURNED BROKEN BEER GLASS.

9 : Do you still read a british paper ? either on line or one of the weekly's ?NOPE _ RARE I KEEP UP WITH ANY NEWS.It's just too depressing.

10 : Do you think british tv programs are still the best ? MUST ADMIT THERE ARE SOME GOOD UK DRAMAS.

Rob

When did you learn how to lock open a fly screen door - don't laugh ..........2 years for me!

Eskies...........Indispensable fashion accessory or really useful?

Corks on hats??? - nah,no one waers them but this season of large amounts of flies makes you wish you did?

as opposed to awhat , a bad migrant? :huh:I think everyone has the right to maintain their own individualism and that means wearing their uk footie topwhile eating mr kipling cakes so what? Just because i dont sit singing waltzing matilda while throwing another snag on the barbie every day doesnt make me a bad migrant. :biglaugh: I think it doesnt really matter personally.

1: Would you buy a treat (some monster munch, or a cadbury whole nut bar) from a British Shop website, Like british corner shop or a British Lolly shop?

Only very occasionally if passing on a whim, I wouldn'tgo there just for that.

2 : The big one, would you buy something from a British Store on the Net eg M&S ? What about if it was for a Australian Soccer Shirt and it's half the price of any local store ?

Only if I liked it and it was cheaper plus postage and different to what can be bought here. I wouldn't buy it just because it is a british shop.

3 : Do you or a member of your family still wears an home country national shirt ? (England, Scotland, NI, Wales, Eire,) for any sport and is it ok to ? What about a local team like Man Utd or London Irish Rugby ?

We never wore them when we lived there,merchandising everything was not so big back then. Kids usually made do with posters and felt flags in their team colours. I think it is certainly ok to sport your pride and joy, Italians and Greeks do, it doesn't mean you don'tappreciate where you live now. Depends whether you wear it all the time and how much it means to you.

4 : What do you consider is important to integrate and be part of Aussie Life ? BBQ's, The Beach, Festivals in the City, Fishing, AFL ? or non of these ?

Be sociable, be very pleased to be here and don't be a brit bore(except when venting to other brits) just as people can talk only about their kids or dogs or whatever. Watched for the glazed eye look.

5 : How many times have you spoken to someone and compared something to Britain ? How long is it acceptable to do that ?

See above, it's ok to do it if you are being interested in the way things are done here but if you make statements inferring it was all somuch better there your Aussie Pals will find you get right up their noses!

6 : Do you drive a Australian made car ? If not why not ?

No one expectgs you to drive an Aussie car if you don'twant to. Japanese cars are well thought of here and VWsand BMWs

7 : Do you slip slap slop, or glow in the sun ?

Try not to glow,try to stay out of the sun midday. The only people you see wearing no shirts these days arfe usually euro tourists.

8 : Have you gone barefoot to the shops yet ? or thought about growing a beard or rats tail ?

It is totally acceptable in summer to hop out of the car into the deli barefoot, or the chicken shop, your local supermarket at a pinch. You wouldn'tgo to a larger place like town or Marion barefoot , that is just boganish.

9 : Do you still read a british paper ? either on line or one of the weekly's ?

No only the Beano

10 : Do you think british tv programs are still the best ?

Wellyou got to agree they beat American run of themill stuff and for drama type programs they are still good at them. Plus the people look real. I mean of course Police boxes and wardrobes contain large existential other worlds......

Guest Rob and Clare

Here's my answers...

1: Would you buy a treat (some monster munch, or a cadbury whole nut bar) from a British Shop website, Like british corner shop or a British Lolly shop ? We bought some quavers once, and occasionally in passing we get something from a british lolly shop

2 : The big one, would you buy something from a British Store on the Net eg M&S ? What about if it was for a Australian Soccer Shirt and it's half the price of any local store ? I think if it's helps people settle there's nothing wrong, I still get my local football team shirt once a year, they don't sell it locally. If it's cheaper for the same item I think your wise to buy it from Britain, Hong Kong or anywhere... Save some bucks...

3 : Do you or a member of your family still wears an home country national shirt ? (England, Scotland, NI, Wales, Eire,) for any sport and is it ok to ? What about a local team like Man Utd or London Irish Rugby ? I had 2 England rugby shirts, which i still have, they take forever to wear out, it doesn't feel right, but nobody minds. Still wear my football team, not with pride though, we're bottom of the Prem... My mate here at work wears his arsenal shirt and he's never left the shores of Oz... he's dinky di..

4 : What do you consider is important to integrate and be part of Aussie Life ? BBQ's, The Beach, Festivals in the City, Fishing, AFL ? or non of these ? I think doing your best to find your niche and enjoy what the city / country has to offer, some people instantly become 100% immersed in Australiana, some of us takes a bit longer. I do love living in Adelaide though, the fringe is about to be annouced, carols in the park starts, Moonlight cinema, Boat shows at hindmarsh, etc.. love the stuff to do....

5 : How many times have you spoken to someone and compared something to Britain ? How long is it acceptable to do that ? I do and i hate the words coming out of my mouth... Hopefully i say it less and less....

6 : Do you drive a Australian made car ? If not why not ? I don't and I work in Automotive... The cars from Holden, Ford and Toyota are great cars but a bit thirsty, and I do a 85km round trip...

7 : Do you slip slap slop, or glow in the sun ? I wished i'd learn, i burn to a crisp before getting a great tan... Do we sell factor 2 oil here ?? ha ha

8 : Have you gone barefoot to the shops yet ? or thought about growing a beard or rats tail ? No, no and No...

9 : Do you still read a british paper ? either on line or one of the weekly's ? I sometimes read the sun on-line, I miss that comic, and a friend at work gives me an International express most weeks... great for sport...

10 : Do you think british tv programs are still the best ? At one time i would have said no... But i love Life on Mars, and Torch wood... But still think Thank God Your here is dead funny too....

Rob

Guest Rob and Clare
as opposed to awhat , a bad migrant? :huh:I think everyone has the right to maintain their own individualism and that means wearing their uk footie topwhile eating mr kipling cakes so what? Just because i dont sit singing waltzing matilda while throwing another snag on the barbie every day doesnt make me a bad migrant. :biglaugh: I think it doesnt really matter personally.

Couldn't agree with you more... It's just a bit of fun though...

1: Would you buy a treat (some monster munch, or a cadbury whole nut bar) from a British Shop website, Like british corner shop or a British Lolly shop ? Not for me, but my sister sends the kids M&S Chocolate Advent calendars which they swear taste the best - ooops tell a lie - I bought some Thornton truffles when I saw them in Myer!

2 : The big one, would you buy something from a British Store on the Net eg M&S ? What about if it was for a Australian Soccer Shirt and it's half the price of any local store ? I've often been tempted to buy from Amazon either here on in the US - purely on a price basis though - and I'm reading mostly aussie authors now anyway (and have discovered Booktopia.com.au which is not quite as good pricewise but not bad!)

3 : Do you or a member of your family still wears an home country national shirt ? (England, Scotland, NI, Wales, Eire,) for any sport and is it ok to ? What about a local team like Man Utd or London Irish Rugby ? No, I've got too fat for them! I did put English flags on my car during the last football world cup though...

4 : What do you consider is important to integrate and be part of Aussie Life ? BBQ's, The Beach, Festivals in the City, Fishing, AFL ? or non of these ? Accepting the fact that we've chosen to live in Australia, and be australians, even though our heritage is British - and accepting others who tell you in a broad aussie accent "we'll be having Christmas on Christmas even because we're German" etc. It's a wonderful mixing pot, Australia, and all the better for it!

5 : How many times have you spoken to someone and compared something to Britain ? How long is it acceptable to do that ? Usually to other Brits, although I do joke with Aussie friends who expect everyone to have heard of John Farnham and Jimmy Barnes and I say "WHO????" (actually I'm not joking - never hearrd of them before coming here!)

6 : Do you drive a Australian made car ? If not why not ? Yeh both of us do although the way parts of the car industry are treating its employees here in Adelaide makes me want to go buy something else at the moment!

7 : Do you slip slap slop, or glow in the sun ? I've got special thick skin and lots of hair so rarely do any of these - do use moisturiser though and insist the rest of the family do the sss thing.

8 : Have you gone barefoot to the shops yet ? or thought about growing a beard or rats tail ? Been trying to grow a beard for ages, but there's something wrong with me I think.... and barefoot???? Have you seeeeen my feet!? Yukk!

9 : Do you still read a british paper ? either on line or one of the weekly's ? Oh yes, International Telegraph and International Express, both for the sport and to remind myself why we left!

10 : Do you think british tv programs are still the best ? And British radio programmes - there's just no equivalent to The Archers here <sigh> but I also watch Deal or No Deal, so really I guess I just have appalling taste....

Rob

Do you pronounce "data" "route" and "project" like you always used to, or do you do it in Aussie now?

Do you grab a "sausage sizzle" outside the DIY shop at the weekend for your lunch?

Do you happily weave in and out of all three lanes on the road to make sure you get to your destination as quick as possible, and do you close up the gap between you and the car in front if someone is indicating to move into the space? (LOL I try not to, honest, your honour, but sometimes I just find myself doing it....)

Do you call the round ball game "football" or "soccer"?

Are you happy when Ponting gets out for a duck? (yes yes, but probably just cause he's an arrogant wotsit, not necessarily because he's australian!)

Do you really appreciate the fact that even on a new estate, all the houses are different, not a whole street of identical boxes?

Guest Rob and Clare
When did you learn how to lock open a fly screen door - don't laugh ..........2 years for me!

Eskies...........Indispensable fashion accessory or really useful?

Corks on hats??? - nah,no one waers them but this season of large amounts of flies makes you wish you did?

I may have to get a hat with corks.... The buggers love my ears.... And i've tried not cleaning my ears until the wax is dripping out, doesn't put them off.... ha ha

Guest Rob and Clare

Good Questions... Wished we'd thought of them..

Do you pronounce "data" "route" and "project" like you always used to, or do you do it in Aussie now? Depends who i'm talking too, but i try to say it the aussie way....

Do you grab a "sausage sizzle" outside the DIY shop at the weekend for your lunch? OHG yeah.... $1.50 for lunch.... Nice....:biglaugh:

Do you happily weave in and out of all three lanes on the road to make sure you get to your destination as quick as possible, and do you close up the gap between you and the car in front if someone is indicating to move into the space? (LOL I try not to, honest, your honour, but sometimes I just find myself doing it....) Amen brother, I'm the same, i moan about everyone else, but find myself doing it more and more...

Do you call the round ball game "football" or "soccer"? depends who i'm talking too, followers of AFL believe their game is football, so calling soccer football is confusing. I'm confused now....

Are you happy when Ponting gets out for a duck? (yes yes, but probably just cause he's an arrogant wotsit, not necessarily because he's australian!) Yes but not against India, they're more arrogant than the aussie cricket team... (they have a right to be arrogant though, they are the best)

Do you really appreciate the fact that even on a new estate, all the houses are different, not a whole street of identical boxes? Love it... Got confused building over here when they said we had a choice, and my god did we have a choice... [/quote]

1: Would you buy a treat (some monster munch, or a cadbury whole nut bar) from a British Shop website, Like british corner shop or a British Lolly shop ? Yep, it's nice to reminisce.

2 : The big one, would you buy something from a British Store on the Net eg M&S ? What about if it was for a Australian Soccer Shirt and it's half the price of any local store ? Nope

3 : Do you or a member of your family still wears an home country national shirt ? (England, Scotland, NI, Wales, Eire,) for any sport and is it ok to ? What about a local team like Man Utd or London Irish Rugby ? I'd say no, but my Mum sent the Luton Town Football Club shirt to Jon and even though he doesn't support them he wears it to the gym! It's just another shirt to him. You can always spot the newly arrived pom in the shops as they are wearing the England or Man U shirts. No offence to anybody but after you have been in Australia 2 years or more, you will understand what I mean.

4 : What do you consider is important to integrate and be part of Aussie Life ? BBQ's, The Beach, Festivals in the City, Fishing, AFL ? or non of these ? An appreciation of AFL and support everything that has an Aussie connection.

5 : How many times have you spoken to someone and compared something to Britain ? How long is it acceptable to do that ? Everyone will do this for the first 2 years.

6 : Do you drive a Australian made car ? If not why not ? Nope. We both drive Toyota's and they are very reliable cars.

7 : Do you slip slap slop, or glow in the sun ? Slip, Slop, Slap most definitely. I was asked at a recent expats meet why I was so pale as I've been here 6 years! It's because I don't go out in the sun without Factor 30.

8 : Have you gone barefoot to the shops yet ? or thought about growing a beard or rats tail ? Nope. And I can't wear thongs (flip flops) either.

9 : Do you still read a british paper ? either on line or one of the weekly's ? Nope. Took 2 years before I changed my home page from yahoo.co.uk to ninemsn. It's when you don't know who the press is talking about is when you realise this.

10 : Do you think british tv programs are still the best ? Oh yes, Dr Who is the best ever TV program (notice I've also changed my spelling to the Aussie way!) and I love watching all the UK programs. Although also like the Aussie dramas but always have anyway.

11 : Do you pronounce "data" "route" and "project" like you always used to, or do you do it in Aussie now? Yes I do it the Aussie way now.

12 : Do you grab a "sausage sizzle" outside the DIY shop at the weekend for your lunch? Nope but it's tempting!

13 : Do you happily weave in and out of all three lanes on the road to make sure you get to your destination as quick as possible, and do you close up the gap between you and the car in front if someone is indicating to move into the space? Yep, I weave in and out and close the gap. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I've never come across such ignorant drivers here.

14: Do you call the round ball game "football" or "soccer"? Soccer.

15 : Are you happy when Ponting gets out for a duck? Who?? The question is, you know more Australian cricket players than English ones! Go Gilly!

16 : Do you really appreciate the fact that even on a new estate, all the houses are different, not a whole street of identical boxes? Not really. They are starting to build them so close together that the gutters are practically touching, the new trend will be roof hopping.

17 : When did you learn how to lock open a fly screen door? I don't have fly screens on my doors (yet).

18 : Eskies...........Indispensable fashion accessory or really useful? Fairly useful

19 : Corks on hats??? Just a tourist gimmick.

20 : When did you stop converting your dollar to the pound? Probably after my first year.

21 : You find yourself shopping between 12 and 3pm at weekends? It's the Aussie way!

Guest Martin and Val

Rob

MARTINS ANSWERS

1: Would you buy a treat (some monster munch, or a cadbury whole nut bar) from a British Shop website, Like british corner shop or a British Lolly shop ? NO, BUT I REALLY COULD DO WITH SOME GOOD GRAVY! ANY SUGGESTIONS?

2 : The big one, would you buy something from a British Store on the Net eg M&S ? What about if it was for a Australian Soccer Shirt and it's half the price of any local store ? I WOULD BUY FROM ANYWHERE IF IT WAS WHAT I WANTED AND COULDN'T GET IT LOCALLY.

3 : Do you or a member of your family still wears an home country national shirt ? (England, Scotland, NI, Wales, Eire,) for any sport and is it ok to ? What about a local team like Man Utd or London Irish Rugby ? NEVER DID, IF I STARTED IT WOULD HAVE TO BE AUSSIE!!

4 : What do you consider is important to integrate and be part of Aussie Life ? BBQ's, The Beach, Festivals in the City, Fishing, AFL ? or non of these ? ALL OF THE ABOVE AND OF COURSE STUBBY DRINKING MUST BE ADDED!

5 : How many times have you spoken to someone and compared something to Britain ? How long is it acceptable to do that ? LOADS, AND EACH TIME OZ HAS COME OUT ON TOP NOT DOWN UNDER.

6 : Do you drive a Australian made car ? If not why not ? TOYOTA IS AS NEAR AS I CAN GET.

7 : Do you slip slap slop, or glow in the sun ? LEARNING THE IMPORTANCE OF SLIP SLAP SLOP.

8 : Have you gone barefoot to the shops yet ? or thought about growing a beard or rats tail ? NO

9 : Do you still read a british paper ? either on line or one of the weekly's ? NEVER DID AND I'M NOT STARTING NOW.

10 : Do you think british tv programs are still the best ? I DON'T REALLY WATCH TV BUT THE FIRST TIME I TURNED IT ON OVER HERE BELIEVE IT OR NOT WAS POLICE CAMERA ACTION FROM SLOUGH, THE OTHER NIGHT I WATCHED INSPECTOR FROST! SO NOTHING HAS CHANGED REALLY!

Have I passed the test Rob?:biglaugh:

Cheers

Martin

Guest Rob and Clare
MARTINS ANSWERS

Have I passed the test Rob?:biglaugh:

Cheers

Martin

I think if it was a test I'd have failed big time... ha ha.... But i think drinking a stubby should automatically make you a citizen... ha ha...

Guest Guest75
Oi you watch it guvner ( said in best cockney accent!):P

Av you 'eard of sweeny todd???

:biglaugh:

That actually reminds me..............

A few weeks ago I went for a haircut.Now I know I don't call on you - it's just somewhere nearer - no offence - I'm lazy.

The guy cutting my hair looked really sick.Eventually I asked him if he was OK (because underneath it all I am a caring person really).

As he was just trimming my neck with the blade he said "It's a bad day today,my epilepsy treatment does not always help".....................................Gulp!!!!

Do ever have those "I wish I was not here " days???????

Funny afterwards and I do honestly feel sorry for the guy ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but I'll check his medication is in full swing before he trims my bits with a cut throat again.

See................... Huh - hairdressers!!!!:shocked:

Guest Guest75
No, not everyone!

Yours pedantically but with seasonal :wubclub:

LC

I think old age is making me picky!:rolleyes:

Yeah - going to count your rings next time we get together:biglaugh::swoon:

Yours Tykeicly yours.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
:biglaugh:

That actually reminds me..............

A few weeks ago I went for a haircut.Now I know I don't call on you - it's just somewhere nearer - no offence - I'm lazy.

The guy cutting my hair looked really sick.Eventually I asked him if he was OK (because underneath it all I am a caring person really).

As he was just trimming my neck with the blade he said "It's a bad day today,my epilepsy treatment does not always help".....................................Gulp!!!!

Do ever have those "I wish I was not here " days???????

Funny afterwards and I do honestly feel sorry for the guy ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but I'll check his medication is in full swing before he trims my bits with a cut throat again.

See................... Huh - hairdressers!!!!:shocked:

HEE HEE:biglaugh:

I dont get epilepsy but I do get the shakes sometimes so if you ever feel like living dangerously send me a PM!!!:biglaugh:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

1: Would you buy a treat (some monster munch, or a cadbury whole nut bar) from a British Shop website, Like british corner shop or a British Lolly shop ? I did buy frazzels once from Victor but they were a bit soft. Our daughter treated us from the glenelg one and I got black jacks

2 : The big one, would you buy something from a British Store on the Net eg M&S ? What about if it was for a Australian Soccer Shirt and it's half the price of any local store ? No unless it was cheaper than buying here! I will put up with my holey knickers!

3 : Do you or a member of your family still wears an home country national shirt ? (England, Scotland, NI, Wales, Eire,) for any sport and is it ok to ? What about a local team like Man Utd or London Irish Rugby ?No I never have, bought the kids england shirts once but they didnt seem interested in wearing them other thn for the world cup. Hubs never has either.

4 : What do you consider is important to integrate and be part of Aussie Life ? BBQ's, The Beach, Festivals in the City, Fishing, AFL ? or non of these ?I dont consider doing any of these would make me intergrate more. Have been to afl once and enjoyed it, and have plenty of BBQs. Drink lots of wine does that help???

5 : How many times have you spoken to someone and compared something to Britain ? How long is it acceptable to do that ?All the time! and still do its not a bad thing, it doesnt mena I am running down the country.

6 : Do you drive a Australian made car ? If not why not ? We have 3 holdens and a Mitsi

7 : Do you slip slap slop, or glow in the sun ? Yes, but not as often as I should, I have been a sun worshipper all my life and if there is damage it was done many years ago!

8 : Have you gone barefoot to the shops yet ? or thought about growing a beard or rats tail ?No I am not feral enough YET!

9 : Do you still read a british paper ? either on line or one of the weekly's ? Newspaper reading is boring. But I do look through the messenger and have to look for spelling and grammer mistakes in the tiser on a saturday!

10 : Do you think british tv programs are still the best ? Some are. but I loved Packed to the rafters and all saints. Dont like much of the ameriacn stuff. but on the whole I like OZ tv.

Thanks Michelle for the tip on how to do it.

Maybe its important to consider what Australians think makes a good migrant.

In the annual Pride of Australia awards there is a category called "Fair Go" which is "For an Australian citizen born overseas who has enriched Australia through their honesty, hard work and willingness to embrace their new home".

I know about this award because my Father in Law was a runner up in South Australia in 2006. He emigrated to Australia as a 19 year old from Italy nearly 60 years ago, along with some of his brothers. He worked hard, had to learn to speak English, became an Australian citizen, and unlike most Italian migrants he married a Australian girl (rather than an Italian girl from the next village back home). He brought his children up as Australians and just got on with his life.

Most importantly, he didn't just think 'what can Australia do for me?', but 'what can I do for Australia?'. In his retirement he has spent many unpaid hours doing voluntary work, mainly at the local Surf Club. Although he has embraced his new country to the full, I have never once heard him say a bad word about Italy.

Guest SA Great

1: Would you buy a treat (some monster munch, or a cadbury whole nut bar) from a British Shop website, Like british corner shop or a British Lolly shop ? No! They are way over priced and I like the Oz lollies.

2 : The big one, would you buy something from a British Store on the Net eg M&S ? What about if it was for a Australian Soccer Shirt and it's half the price of any local store ? No! But I would buy an Adelaide Utd shirt if it was cheaper than $130!

3 : Do you or a member of your family still wears an home country national shirt ? (England, Scotland, NI, Wales, Eire,) for any sport and is it ok to ? What about a local team like Man Utd or London Irish Rugby ? This is something I feel quite passionate about. I have never owned an English soccer shirt and always thinks it looks so pommie when I see other people wearing them!! If I lived in the UK then I would buy a Man Utd shirt but not here. Can you imagine if an asian guy walked around the UK with a Pakistan shirt on...I don't think he would be that popular but isnt it the same if we wear one over here?

4 : What do you consider is important to integrate and be part of Aussie Life ? BBQ's, The Beach, Festivals in the City, Fishing, AFL ? or non of these ? Hard question!! AFL is a good way to integrate but just by not complaining about everything and enjoying life over here is probably the best way. Apart from Coldplay not coming!!!! Grr

5 : How many times have you spoken to someone and compared something to Britain ? How long is it acceptable to do that ? I think you will always compare to a certain degree. The longer you live here then the less that will happen.

6 : Do you drive a Australian made car ? If not why not ? Holden Commodore

7 : Do you slip slap slop, or glow in the sun ? I don't slip or slap much but I do slop on the sunscreen a reasonable amount.

8 : Have you gone barefoot to the shops yet ? or thought about growing a beard or rats tail ? I just can't bring myself to go barefoot!! A bit feral.

9 : Do you still read a british paper ? either on line or one of the weekly's ? No! I always find the news irrelevant because I don't live there!!

10 : Do you think british tv programs are still the best ? Really not interested in TV since I came here but if I can change the question slightly then I think British music is still the best by far. Especially Coldplay! Grr and Keane

Rob

Some good questions in that one Rob.