Big setback! Can any teachers please help?

guspjmh

Hi all, we are making the move in 3 weeks and just got some really bad news. Because my wife's teaching degree was a 3 years BA Hons in education, rather than a non-vocational 3 year degree followed by a 1 year PGCE, her qualification assessment for teaching has been rejected.

She has been teaching in the UK for 8 years and we are unsure if there is any way around it. We already have the visas, this is just for her to be able to work. Is there ANY way around it, or any bridging course that she can complete online or from distance? We have 2 kids and she cannot enrol on a full time course and look after them, and putting them in full time childcare is too expensive on just 1 wage.

She did do a foundation year at university, prior to her degree - does this count towards the 4 year requirement?

We are stumped about this. Nothing's ever straightforward!

Guest AngPhil

She can do a post grad certificate with the OU in the UK. I did a postgrad in Distance and Online Education with the OU while in Australia, as it's all online it's really easy to do. I heard of someone who were able to register to teach and do a postgrad course in SA part time while they were here, so it maybe worth a phone call.

Hope that helps. It will be worth hot once it's sorted, teaching here is great ☺️

AngPhil - will look into it. Do you have a link to the course, as it obviously needs to be recognised in oz so i don't want to pick the wrong one! Is it a full masters degree or a certificate/diploma?

edit - have messaged you for more info, hope thats ok?

Edited by guspjmh

Yikes! Just checked out the prices of that OU course and in Oz it will cost about £3k to complete if it is the one I've found. I wonder if there is any other way around it?

Bit gutting considering she's been teaching in the UK for 8 years!

Does anyone know if her foundation course will count towards 4 years tertiary education? I've emailed trb but just trying to assess our options.

Edited by guspjmh

I've had a look on pomsinOz and there is disappointingly little useful info. Really gutted about this, as Kate hates the idea of having to do a postgrad certificate as she hated being a student first time around, and isn't confident about further studies at postgrad level. She's been teaching for 8 years and it's what she's always wanted to do.

Put a big downer on today, when the nerves are starting to go with us leaving in under 3 weeks.

Thanks for all the advice. I've spoke to the guy from TRB and he was really helpful. Basically we can request a hearing, and with her experience it's possible that she will be granted temporary 3 year registration, with the condition that she complete a postgraduate certificate in this period.

Fingers crossed!

Guest Guest12727
Yikes! Just checked out the prices of that OU course and in Oz it will cost about £3k to complete if it is the one I've found. I wonder if there is any other way around it?

Bit gutting considering she's been teaching in the UK for 8 years!

Does anyone know if her foundation course will count towards 4 years tertiary education? I've emailed trb but just trying to assess our options.

I don't think it is no much that you have to have a 4 year degree, but that you have to have a recognised teaching qualification.

In SA, if you have done an undergraduate degree, in say maths, science or English or anything really, and you then decide to be a teacher, you need to do a 1year teaching qualification on top. This provides the skills to teach rather than just be good at your studied subject and is one pathway to becoming a teacher.

People who study teaching from the start do a 4 year degree here at University.

So in the OPs case, the qualification isn't automatically recognised as it isn't a teaching qualification per se, so the Foundation course will not count. That course provided the skills to get into uni, not specific teaching skills. Hence the need to jump through a few hoops.

I am sure she will be OK, with the route you have now been told about. If you want to contact a Uni, it is UniSA that you need for teaching.

Be warned though, the SA govt is talking of making a Masters degree the requirements for teaching here. That is a 3 + 2 model. So get in quick before it changes.

I don't think it is no much that you have to have a 4 year degree, but that you have to have a recognised teaching qualification.

In SA, if you have done an undergraduate degree, in say maths, science or English or anything really, and you then decide to be a teacher, you need to do a 1year teaching qualification on top. This provides the skills to teach rather than just be good at your studied subject and is one pathway to becoming a teacher.

People who study teaching from the start do a 4 year degree here at University.

So in the OPs case, the qualification isn't automatically recognised as it isn't a teaching qualification per se, so the Foundation course will not count. That course provided the skills to get into uni, not specific teaching skills. Hence the need to jump through a few hoops.

I am sure she will be OK, with the route you have now been told about. If you want to contact a Uni, it is UniSA that you need for teaching.

Be warned though, the SA govt is talking of making a Masters degree the requirements for teaching here. That is a 3 + 2 model. So get in quick before it changes.

She has a recognised teaching degree - in the UK many 4 year course are condensed into three. Her BA Hons in education includes time in school and includes qualified teacher status. She basically trained how to be a primary teacher for 3 years rather than doing a random undergraduate degree and topping up with the 1 year teaching PGCE.

In the UK her qualification allows her to teach and she has been teaching for 8 years.

Guest AngPhil

Sorry for the delay in replying, we are moving house tomorrow (into our own first Aussie home) and we have no internet. I'm doing a masters with OU, but I did the post grad certificate first http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/course/h800.htm, if you register while in the UK it is cheaper. It's come in really handy too, as lots of the Aussie senior schools are using learning management platforms with students and parents/carers. I know some of the primary schools are coming on board too.

Good luck, if you need any further info give me a shout (I may be slow to respond as no internet until 24/1 :arghh:).

Guest Guest12727
She has a recognised teaching degree - in the UK many 4 year course are condensed into three. Her BA Hons in education includes time in school and includes qualified teacher status. She basically trained how to be a primary teacher for 3 years rather than doing a random undergraduate degree and topping up with the 1 year teaching PGCE.

In the UK her qualification allows her to teach and she has been teaching for 8 years.

I doubt that it will be a big hurdle to meet the TRB requirements then. Very annoying that it is not recognised straight up though.

I doubt that it will be a big hurdle to meet the TRB requirements then. Very annoying that it is not recognised straight up though.

Amazingly it is an insurmountable hurdle. Hopefully with a hearing we can get her approved for 3 years, but it's been made clear that she will need to complete the equivalent of a further 1 years full time university education by the end of that period. Not an easy task with the kids and trying to work!

Still, at least we know what is required and it's better than being rejected out of hand until after she completes it.

Have you enquired how much that course will cost as from what i recall unless you are a citizen it isnt too cheap and you might have to pay up front as you dont qualify for student loans.

Sue

As a PR visa holder they will be able to pay domestic fees, although they will need to pay upfront and will not be able to access HECS.

guspjmh you should definitely get your wife to contact the Uni. They will be able to help with all the things like fees, what courses she will need to complete and if she will be able to get any exemptions or recognition for prior learning. The Uni's are about to close down for Christmas but there may be some admissions staff around as the year 12 results have just been released.