Football (Soccer) in Western Suburbs...........

Geoff9559

Hi - If you are coming over for working in SAPOL or any other industry there are quite a few Football (soccer) Clubs in the Western Suburbs. The Western Toros Soccer CLub are seeking players from 6 years of age up to 16 in the Junior divisions and I know other clubs are seeking similar. I thought I'd post this as there are a few people coming over not realizing that there are some decent clubs situated in the Western Suburbs (not just southern suburbs) you'll find Western Toros Soccer Club have an FB page and there is also the Port Pirates who have a website.

Season starts in late Feb 2014 and training starts a bit earlier, it is a great way of getting the kids to meet others outside of the school environment, which is what we found.

cheers

Geoff9559

Trials for the best football (aka soccer) clubs in and around Adelaide tend to be in October/November for the upcoming season, but it's worth speaking to the clubs when you arrive to see if they might have had any injury drop-outs

Rugby Union is really not big in SA (you need the Eastern States for that) but you could have a look here for SA Rugby clubs http://www.sarugby.com.au/

Edited by Diane

That sounds promising! My 16 year old son is playing district level here in Wales and we are due to arrive in January. He is worried the clubs will all be full! My 12 year old plays county level rugby union ...?

THere is a Rugby Union team in Port Adelaide - I see them training often and a lad at the Football (Soccer) Club was 'headhunted' to Rugby - so there is stuff around but I dont know much.

As Hutchy says his Son's in Pirates, my lad plus a fair few of his mates are in Western Toros (we've found it pretty good) and we've just had a lad from UK (near Manchester) turn up and he's around your son's age and is doing well. You might want to contact the Football Association of Wales' retired Secretary as I believe he has family in Adelaide who can point you in the right direction contact wise.

It will depend on where you set yourself up but you will want to look at a Premier League or State League club for progressing your Son, if he goes to Amateur League he'd have to move clubs to get into the State or Premier Leagues to get a crack at being seen.

Cheers

Geoff9559

THere is a Rugby Union team in Port Adelaide - I see them training often and a lad at the Football (Soccer) Club was 'headhunted' to Rugby - so there is stuff around but I dont know much.

As Hutchy says his Son's in Pirates, my lad plus a fair few of his mates are in Western Toros (we've found it pretty good) and we've just had a lad from UK (near Manchester) turn up and he's around your son's age and is doing well. You might want to contact the Football Association of Wales' retired Secretary as I believe he has family in Adelaide who can point you in the right direction contact wise.

It will depend on where you set yourself up but you will want to look at a Premier League or State League club for progressing your Son, if he goes to Amateur League he'd have to move clubs to get into the State or Premier Leagues to get a crack at being seen.

Cheers

Geoff9559

Thanks for your responses guys I took a look at a few of the links and it has made Matt and Cal feel a lot happier about our move. That is interesting re. WFA retired secretary I shall do some research... Pushy mother!

Thanks for your responses guys I took a look at a few of the links and it has made Matt and Cal feel a lot happier about our move. That is interesting re. WFA retired secretary I shall do some research... Pushy mother!

Scriv - you'll find that there are a lot of small connections in Adelaide, it is quite uncanny sometimes! Hutchy had the Pirates web link in their reply, so am putting the Western Toros on in mine......https://www.facebook.com/westerntorossoccerclub?ref=hl :-)

The FFSA (Football Federation South Australia) has some good stuff on the clubs - including photos of grounds etc. http://www.ffsa.com.au/

Cheers

Geoff9559

Matt played his last district match for East Gwent in the cold and wet last night and they won 4-1 let the sunny Soccer Years commence!

Afraid club soccer is a winter sport here too - many's the day we've stood on the sidelines in pouring rain! Although at the start and end of the season, it's not unusual for training to be cancelled because it's too hot!

If you are down South and looking for a great new soccer team.

PM me as Aldinga have now got a soccer team, the first time in over 20 years!

we train every Friday evening at 7pm at Shark Park in Aldinga, it's informal and is designed to be enjoyable.

Pre season starts next year...:-)

we have a FB page Aldinga Soccer have secured some great sponsors, new kit, new goals and a great club!

they said if you build it, they will come!

so get in touch if your interested and look forward to seeing you there, just ask for one of the committee members.

In time and with support, we sim to offer junior soccer and ladies, as we start if we are looking for senior men's from the age of 17-70.

everybody welcome

• 1 month later...

For Henley I think Croydon is the best bet.

if you are a good 16 year old you will be looking at playing u18 which is seniors. The junior comp goes up to u17 but the u17 league is not compulsory for clubs to enter. I can explain more if need be.

If you need any help with FFSA and clubs feel free to ask. I am heavily involved with the game here, and I try and stay unbiased when talking about clubs but I do prefer some to others!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Western Toros Soccer CLub have a few places left in our Junior Premier League Teams for 2014. The club has nominated for U16, U15, U14 and U13 in the JPL. If you are interested in seeing what the club is like there is a registration day on the 2nd Feb - times to be confirmed through the Western Toros Soccer Club facebook page (as the hosting site for the website went down). Contact Nenad on 0421 775 765 to discuss the club and what's going on. cheers Geoff9559

Hi were Coming over mid Feb for our reccie and was wondering if i could Bring my son Jack aged 12 to any football (soccer) training sessions were staying in Glenelg

maybe he could make some friends before we move in mid April

also any advice on what a 15 year old girl could do to make friends would be appreciated

thanks

Randc - I'd say yes .......most of the Junior teams are getting the last bit done for starting the season however I cannot see any issue in coming out to clubs and seeing what they are like. I guess Glenelg isn't your final suburb so visiting the clubs will also give you a good idea for asking the families as to which is a good suburb. 15YO girl - well there is women's soccer league, there's about 300,000 people playing netball in Adelaide (so I'm led to believe) and that is a good way of meeting people. My kids are younger and can do a lot of the stuff that's on offer through councils etc - not too sure what's going for a teenage girl. It really depends on where you end up and what community facilities are around and what your daughter likes doing as there are dance places, gymnastics etc all dotted over the place. A good Council will have good community stadiums and stuff where you can meet other families through the free come-n-try stuff and that good clubs are located in. Currently Adelaide is a bit cycling mad - and there are bike tracks turning up all over the place but again its really what your daughter might like to do and then seeing if there's a half decent club in the area. the Schools will also make a big difference as to how/where they meet people and gain friends. Hope this is of some assistance. cheers Geoff9559

• 1 month later...

Hi all, we dropped out of this site for a while there! So quick update... we arrived Jan 2nd, have rented a pproperty in Henley Beach and our container arrived yesterday! Matt 16 has started Y11 at Henley High, Calum 12 is going to Fulham North primary. I got a job this week too so things are good except....

for the sport:wacko: Calum is hoping to start with Brighton Rugby Union but matt is struggling to find a soccer club. Are the Western Toros still looking for U18?? Anyother clubs close to western suburbs that could do with a strong corner taking wing back!?

Calum has made a few friends and although matt has no mates outside school yet he has found the school kids friendly.

Hubby to get a job now hopefully and we'll be rolling! So far so good and we are loving our new life, what a great time to arrive, heatwaves, Fringe and floods!

Scriv

Hi all, we dropped out of this site for a while there! So quick update... we arrived Jan 2nd, have rented a pproperty in Henley Beach and our container arrived yesterday! Matt 16 has started Y11 at Henley High, Calum 12 is going to Fulham North primary. I got a job this week too so things are good except....

for the sport:wacko: Calum is hoping to start with Brighton Rugby Union but matt is struggling to find a soccer club. Are the Western Toros still looking for U18?? Anyother clubs close to western suburbs that could do with a strong corner taking wing back!?

Calum has made a few friends and although matt has no mates outside school yet he has found the school kids friendly.

Hubby to get a job now hopefully and we'll be rolling! So far so good and we are loving our new life, what a great time to arrive, heatwaves, Fringe and floods!

Scriv

YES! - come out and see the club. training is Wednesdays and Thursdays for U9 to U16. Is Matt turning 16 this year or has turned 16? Either way the club is still looking for players that we can promote and develop.......http://www.ffsa.com.au/home/news-archive/news/article/2014/february/changes-at-pennington-for-2014-and-the-western-toros/

Training for the next couple of weeks is from 6.30pm onwards at Collins Street, Pennington Reserve Pennington - the coaches can talk and work out where Matt would be in the CLub. Regards Geoff9559

What I meant to say is that there is a U18 team at Toros and Matt would be more than welcome to be with the seniors if he is already 16 this year......... I got too excited about the post and didnt finish the reply :-) Cheers Geoff9559 So come out on either a Wednesday or Friday as I'm out there with my son and can introduce you to people and the coaches. cheers Geoff9559 The seniors are currently training at Rushworth (near Prospect) but are rotating to Pennington so the Juniors can see them train.

Geoff great to have your reply and enthusiasm! Matt turned 16 last October so would play U18s. Shall we bring him Fri this week??

Wendy and Tony

maybe we could PM and swap tel no's??

Yep come out just before 6.30pm to Pennington with kit as he can have a bit of a run and training with the 16s and meet some of the players there as some flow between 16s and 18s. We can talk, get some details and show you round the Pennington site and see if Matt likes the feel of the place.

see you on Friday

Cheers Geoff9559