Selling everything off

Guest Adelaide_bound

Guest Adelaide_bound

Sorry if this is in the wrong place - couldn't decide where to put it and paniced lol (And it related to our migrating issue, as if we don't sell it all, we can't go!).

We have come to the realisation that we may not be able to go when we want due to having to shift the whole house contents really, and not having done this before, wondered if anyone had any bright ideas? (When I went to NZ I just left everything with friends/sold stuff to housemates or left it with parents, but they themselves have since emigrated, and no longer live in a house share, so can't do that this time).

We have split everything into three lots - 1. de clutter stuff; 2. everyday but not essential; 3. essential stuff.

We are car booting, starting this weekend the de clutter stuff, as well as some ebay on free listing weekends - books, clothes and shoes and so on.

The everyday but not essential (spare room bedroom furniture etc) I guess we will gum tree and ebay (free listings again lol) as we can take a bit of time with this (although not too much!).

The essential stuff we are going to see if the landlord wants to keep any of it (the place was a complete shell when we moved in) although unlikely as he is as tight as, and as its things like our bed etc I'm floundering a bit as to how to sell these - gum tree and ebay with a pick up date of just before we leave?

Hubby has mentioned house clearance places, for ease of use - whilst I guess we wouldn't get the best price for things, I can see that we will struggle to get rid of lots of our stuff, and therefore just getting rid of it for anything would be good (or we will have to take things to the tip) - but do these actually happen, or are they just mythical?

If anyone sold basically their entire house off (we are shipping a few bits and pieces, but we are going travelling for however many months, so will have to pay for storage which makes it far less cost effective for us to ship our Ikea stuff lol), how did you do it? Any clues, ideas or pointers?

Cheers if you have a 2 penceworth on this one, as the sooner we can sell things, the sooner we can go (and I need to go NOW for my mental health lol).

I think you've covered all your bases. You'd be surprised at how quickly stuff gets snapped up on Gumtree if the price is right.

House clearances do happen, though the ones I know about, you pay them to take stuff away and they sort it for the tip, recycling or charity shops. You'll need to search for those that pay you for stuff.

I'd have a go selling clothes at the car boot. I know loads of people sell their kids stuff and I've seen adult clothing being sold also.

Also ask local charity shops that sell furniture if they are interested in taking some stuff. They often collect larger items being donated. And put ads in your local Tesco (they have a advertising board in ours anyways) and a postcard in the newsagents window might be ok also?

As you said, you may find you don't get anything for a fair bit of stuff but if you advertise I am sure you could shift it.

Guest RobJ1978

Hi,

Do you need to sell them for the money? If not i would do the house clearance thing....just think whether it is worth stressing over.

My hubby wants to get a skip get rid of the large items in there (not priced this yet!)

Its not worth your sanity....i'm sure plenty of other things have taken parts of it already!

nic.x.

Guest Adelaide_bound

unfortunately we need to sell every last thing we can tbh - we already had a massive clear out when we moved up from London to here last year and got rid of all the junk, so whilst a lot of our stuff isn't mega bucks (most of it is Ikea stuff) I'm working on the 'every little helps' basis - even if we get 10p for something, we only need 10 things sold for £1, and then 10 lots of that for £10. OK, so thats not a huge amount, but it all adds up! (Hopefully we will be selling things like sofas and beds for more than 10p though lol).

Its all the little bits I'm scratching my head on - whilst we are planning on taking a couple of boxes of kitchen things, when we moved here we had about 20 boxes of stuff, and we just don't need to take it all with us (Ikea for plates again and cutlery, and pick other bits up as we go - perhaps we'll have a 'proper' wedding like we didn't here to kit it out in Aus lol). Hopefully we can shift most of it at car boots etc - I'm just panicing a bit I think because Hubby started to panic today lol.

Cheers for the thoughts guys, any more welcome :)

unfortunately we need to sell every last thing we can tbh - we already had a massive clear out when we moved up from London to here last year and got rid of all the junk, so whilst a lot of our stuff isn't mega bucks (most of it is Ikea stuff) I'm working on the 'every little helps' basis - even if we get 10p for something, we only need 10 things sold for £1, and then 10 lots of that for £10. OK, so thats not a huge amount, but it all adds up! (Hopefully we will be selling things like sofas and beds for more than 10p though lol).

Its all the little bits I'm scratching my head on - whilst we are planning on taking a couple of boxes of kitchen things, when we moved here we had about 20 boxes of stuff, and we just don't need to take it all with us (Ikea for plates again and cutlery, and pick other bits up as we go - perhaps we'll have a 'proper' wedding like we didn't here to kit it out in Aus lol). Hopefully we can shift most of it at car boots etc - I'm just panicing a bit I think because Hubby started to panic today lol.

Cheers for the thoughts guys, any more welcome :)

The best place by far is ebay.

All the larger stuff you can do buyer collects and generally you get decent prices for everything.

We are doing weekly ebay sells with about 20 items per week and have made upto £850 in a single week selling stuff that we definetly will not take.

Beats sitting at car boot sales (which we have also done) with the local do as you likeys offering you 10p for everything.