Leaving party(ies)?

flossybeth

We're getting to the stage now where our one way tickets are booked (26th July) and we're thinking of a leaving do. But what do we do - we have our 3 children (10, 9 & 7) who want their friends included and we have lots of family with young children, so an evening in a social club isn't really an option. Do we try and fit in two parties, one for school friends with some kind of focus (a bit like a birthday party) and one for family/grown-up friends like a barbecue (if it ever stops raining!) or just do an all-in-one and ask parents of school friends to stay so that they can be "in charge" of their children and we wouldn't necessarily be entertaining them?

What did you all do? or did you just board the plane and wave?

Guest AngPhil

We are in the same predicament, we leave on 29thJuly and we have two boys 12 and 8. Thekids want a leaving party, but my OH and I want to sneak off. I think we are going to take the kidspaintballing or something similar with their mates. We will probably just have a BBQ with our closefriends and family. I think a mix of alcoholand a leaving do may just finish me off completely. God only knows how my Mum will deal with aleaving do!

I agree I wish I could just jump on the plane now.

Hi

We actually did three, greedy beggars that we are. We had a family meal out in a restaurant with my family and our kids. We had a bit of a party for the kids with Jasons family at home with nibbles and the parents stayed and we had a very drunken evening with our friends and a curry. The one thing that stood out the most was that it was great but seemed very surreal, especially with my family - it felt like I was going to see them the following week and nobody quite got it.

I'd book a social club and have one big party, start mid afternoon and fire up a BBQ, ask people to bring a plate (ie some food to contribute to the BBQ or snacks/dips etc) and make it an Aussie style thing :) Say to parents of kids they are welcome to stay (hence the bring a plate to chuck in for themselves) and have some food for the kids that you provide and some other BBQ nibbles etc and go from there.

We won't be having a leaving party as such, just plan to have an all afternoon/evening BBQ and invite our friends and their kids and any of my son's friends and their parents. Open house and people can arrive and leave when they want, so no pressure on having a heap of people all at one time, although I think I'll put a general time to arrive by so we know once people will stop pitching up. May hire a bouncy castle for the kids or something also.

I know we'll be having a Welcome (back) to Aus one when we land though :biggrin::jiggy:

Guest Gail C

That sounds like a great idea, thank you so much everyone!!

We leave the UK for our 'New Life in South Australia' in July and we were pondering whether we should have a leaving party or not. I like the idea of having one big catch up, instead of trying to get round all of our family, friends and our two girls friends too :)

We had a meal in a pub for close family and then hired a social club for friends and school friends etc. We had a dj who catered for everyones needs from disney tunes for the kids to 90's music for us and requests for the oldies!! We decorated the club in flags and blow up spiders, snakes, sharks etc and balloons and the kids were kept well amused all evening.