Advice please!

Ashleigh

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the visa me and my family might require and if anyone has had a similar experience.

Me and my parter have been together since 2009 and we are getting married on 23rd August 2014, we have a one year old daughter and have lived together since January 2010.

My partner lived in Adelaide for 6 years and was married (and now divorced) to an australian citizen, he has a 5 and a half year old daughter living in Adelaide. He had his residency accepted but cancelled it and moved to England after the breakdown of his marriage. My parter is a qualified self employed bricklayer and has been since he was 18 (he is now 31) He also did this job for the 6 years he lived in Adelaide.

We would like to return to Australia as a family in 2017. We have a family of Australian citizens willing to sponsor us as my partner remains good friends and is still in contact with the friends he made in Adelaide while living there.

We are unsure of what the most cost effective visa would be to enable us to to move to Australia as a family. I have contacted a few agents via the MARA website but so far they have proved unhelpful and i am still none the wiser.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ashleigh

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

If you want to run your case past an agent give Go Matilda, Australian Visa Bureau or Ian Harrop a call or email. All those usually come well recommended on our forums by those who used them. Your move is a long way off and tbh much can change with the migration system in Aus in that time so I doubt you could really get much in the way of anything definite as the best course of action visa wise till closer to your actual planned move.

I am not sure family sponsorship is still possible or if it will be possible in 2016/17. If your husband has a skill on the in demand list (when the time comes) he could apply that way.

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

If you want to run your case past an agent give Go Matilda, Australian Visa Bureau or Ian Harrop a call or email. All those usually come well recommended on our forums by those who used them. Your move is a long way off and tbh much can change with the migration system in Aus in that time so I doubt you could really get much in the way of anything definite as the best course of action visa wise till closer to your actual planned move.

I am not sure family sponsorship is still possible or if it will be possible in 2016/17. If your husband has a skill on the in demand list (when the time comes) he could apply that way.

Funnily enough i have just contacted both of those!

Thank you.

Maybe the best thing for us now would be just to save, get in contact with someone for an idea of the visa we need. I have been told visa applications can take around 18 months, but hopefully an agent can shed some light on this.

Thanks for your help x

Funnily enough i have just contacted both of those!

Thank you.

Maybe the best thing for us now would be just to save, get in contact with someone for an idea of the visa we need. I have been told visa applications can take around 18 months, but hopefully an agent can shed some light on this.

Thanks for your help x

It depends on what visa you apply for.

Have you tried the visa wizard to see if you are eligible for a specific one?

http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/

I wouldn't be waiting until 2017, I would be getting the ball rolling asap, skills lists and the rules and regs change, we have seen it many times on here people leave it too late and then can't get in and they miss their chance. I would imagine if you ring up a migration agent and say we don't want to go until 2017 the reality is they are not going to be spending much time on you when things can change so much in 3-4 years.

I wouldn't be waiting until 2017, I would be getting the ball rolling asap, skills lists and the rules and regs change, we have seen it many times on here people leave it too late and then can't get in and they miss their chance. I would imagine if you ring up a migration agent and say we don't want to go until 2017 the reality is they are not going to be spending much time on you when things can change so much in 3-4 years.

Hey, well I have spoken with a couple of MARA agents and they have all suggested the same thing.....start the ball rolling now. So we are sitting down this week to decide the agent we want to go with as I think it's too complex to do as a family on our own when we have no idea what we on about! Thank for your help. We have also been advised a parent visa is too expensive so the route for us is a skilled migration visa with my partner as the lead applicant x

Hey, well I have spoken with a couple of MARA agents and they have all suggested the same thing.....start the ball rolling now. So we are sitting down this week to decide the agent we want to go with as I think it's too complex to do as a family on our own when we have no idea what we on about! Thank for your help. We have also been advised a parent visa is too expensive so the route for us is a skilled migration visa with my partner as the lead applicant x

Sounds good going the route you are going for the visa.

FWIW, once granted you have a certain amount of time to validate the visa (all the family need to validate, not just the main applicant) and then X amount of years within which to actually make the move after grant. So long as you validate it you've a bit more time before you would *have* to move.

Sounds good going the route you are going for the visa.

FWIW, once granted you have a certain amount of time to validate the visa (all the family need to validate, not just the main applicant) and then X amount of years within which to actually make the move after grant. So long as you validate it you've a bit more time before you would *have* to move.

yeah they did mention that, It is hard to properly get information out of them until you pay to go on their books, both agents i spoke to openly told me that.

I think we are going to go with Concept Australia which is one of the agents i spoke too, the other was a MARA agent named James Gordon x

yeah they did mention that, It is hard to properly get information out of them until you pay to go on their books, both agents i spoke to openly told me that.

I think we are going to go with Concept Australia which is one of the agents i spoke too, the other was a MARA agent named James Gordon x

Have to say I have never heard of them but that doesn't mean they are bad or anything. Just not come across anyone who has used them and/or recommended them. Have you throughly checked reviews and feedback on them before parting with any money or signing on the dotted line? Always a wise thing to do.

Usually agents will give a quick consult to look over your case and give you advice as to which visa etc. But more than that to proceed with an application will require a fee.

If your case is straightforward and you have a look over what you need to do you and make sure you cover everything you can always proceed without hiring an agent. Plenty of people apply themselves. Of course, its not for everyone and some prefer to use an agent and fair enough they do so.

The good agents will always do that and I know plenty of people who have used Go Matilda and Ian Harrop - whom we used.

As mentioned, it's impossible to rely on visa policies now as their is definitely a state of flux.

Good luck,

Cooler

• 2 years later...

HI Everyone,

Sorry for posting this here as my query is not related to the visa 887. However, I am writing it here thinking some of you may be able to advise me on this.

I want to know if I can apply for partner visa(subclass 309) for my my wife, we are engaged now and would be getting married on 20th Jan.

can we apply visa 309 before marriage? I Know this visa takes around 8-10 months time and after jan ( which is around 3 months from now) , I should be in the position to upload all the documents.

I thank you for response and sorry to post here.

Hi Snifter, loving it here, enjoy it so much! Husband has his own business, I am still in the same job i luckily got 3 weeks after i got here and we get the keys to our new house next week so things have gone so well for us. I love living 10 minutes from the beach. I do miss things about England but certainly can't imagine going back there to live, I really feel like this is my home now. x

Hi Snifter, loving it here, enjoy it so much! Husband has his own business, I am still in the same job i luckily got 3 weeks after i got here and we get the keys to our new house next week so things have gone so well for us. I love living 10 minutes from the beach. I do miss things about England but certainly can't imagine going back there to live, I really feel like this is my home now. x

Thats really good to hear. I think most of us can appreciate missing a few things from our lives back in England. Most of mine are so minor in the grand scheme of things its not anything close to being a deal breaker.

I think it really helps finding work early on rather than being knocked back or taking a long time to secure something.

Good luck and enjoy your new home :)