Staying connected to home country via mobile

Guest Ev Ooi

Guest Ev Ooi

Hi all, I recently moved to Australia and I have this problem bugging me much.

During this transitional period, I still maintain my home country mobile and I'm getting calls on it frequently. I don't want to take my calls selectively, but I also don't want to pay exorbitant international roaming fees.

Can anyone suggest a service that lets me receive calls on my home country mobile without the roaming charges? Some sort of international call-forwarding. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ev

There are lots of good mobile sim deals with cheap international calls - there's a prepay Vodafone that caps each international call at $1 or there's also good rolling monthly deals so you are not tied into a contract and just take it a month at a time - sorry if you already know - thought it might be cheaper than using your old phone though. :)

<Wonders how long Google has been around for and why people don't use it>

http://www.ausbt.com.au/how-to-divert-your-mobile-through-skype-to-avoid-global-roaming-fees

Change "Australia" to "UK" when reading the instructions. As you're here already you may need to get a family member to set it up for you. I also believe your UK mobile phone physically needs to be in the UK. Or better still just your SIM in a different phone in the UK.

Edited by sidestep

Guest Ev Ooi
think thats something you need to arrange with your mobile company before you leave, personally I think you are better off getting another phone for Australia, I recommend a smart phone cause you can then use VIBER

Thanks for the reply. I got me an Aus mobile number the moment I got here, but the amount of work involved to update all my callers (on my old mobile) about my new number is crazy.

Guest Ev Ooi
I haven't heard of such a service. I recommend using skype on your phone and/or computer, facetime if you and the caller are both using apple products and downloading Viber to make free calls (in addition to free SMS and MMS, similar to What's App)

I'm afraid I don't use an iPhone. Besides, the callers that I'm facing this problem are mostly clients, banks, agents - people that don't usually use voip in their line of work.

Guest Ev Ooi
There are lots of good mobile sim deals with cheap international calls - there's a prepay Vodafone that caps each international call at $1 or there's also good rolling monthly deals so you are not tied into a contract and just take it a month at a time - sorry if you already know - thought it might be cheaper than using your old phone though. :)

Thanks for the thought, but I think they're not able to take calls that are received on my home country mobile..

Guest Ev Ooi
<Wonders how long Google has been around for and why people don't use it>

http://www.ausbt.com.au/how-to-divert-your-mobile-through-skype-to-avoid-global-roaming-fees

Change "Australia" to "UK" when reading the instructions. As you're here already you may need to get a family member to set it up for you. I also believe your UK mobile phone physically needs to be in the UK. Or better still just your SIM in a different phone in the UK.

<well Google led me here amongst other sites, thank you.>

What if my country is not listed on Skype online numbers? I'm from Malaysia.

Hang on, do you mean that the Sim has to be active and switched on in the home country?

Guest Ev Ooi
Ah yes you are right! I was thinking you could call them back? Anyways hope you sort something! :)

That's a thought. But sometimes the number is masked so I usually have no idea who's calling me..

Hang on, do you mean that the Sim has to be active and switched on in the home country?

Yes. Calls are then bounced from your SIM to the Skype network there, then from Skype to your new SIM here.

Alternatively SMS everyone in your contact list giving them your new number. Those that use it are friends, those that don't you could probably cut loose.

Guest Ev Ooi

Alternatively SMS everyone in your contact list giving them your new number. Those that use it are friends, those that don't you could probably cut loose.

Well that's a way to put it haha. Well that's the plan after awhile, to permanently use the local number. I was hoping to find a solution during my transitional phase.

Guest Claire-n-tel
Well that's a way to put it haha. Well that's the plan after awhile, to permanently use the local number. I was hoping to find a solution during my transitional phase.

Hi Ev Ooi!....

The "transitional phase" will last as long as you let it and be as complicated as you allow it to be......bottom line you have moved countries, i'm guessing you had to inform most people of that?......Anyway a simple sms or even an email, to give your new number and throw you old sim in a draw and forget it.

This is something everyone who emigrates has to sort out, make it easy on yourself!....

Guest Ev Ooi
Hi Ev Ooi!....

The "transitional phase" will last as long as you let it and be as complicated as you allow it to be......bottom line you have moved countries, i'm guessing you had to inform most people of that?......Anyway a simple sms or even an email, to give your new number and throw you old sim in a draw and forget it.

This is something everyone who emigrates has to sort out, make it easy on yourself!....

That's true. Thanks for your opinions. But as I am typing this, my phone is still ringing :swoon:

Guest Claire-n-tel
That's true. Thanks for your opinions. But as I am typing this, my phone is still ringing :swoon:

Have you sent a text to all your contacts?......if so turn your old phone off whoever it was if they had not been bothered to read your message i would not be bothered with them!

Then again, it is up to you as i said just how difficult it is, i guess you choices are those suggested on here, ask in a phone shop or continue to do what you are doing