Seeking for opportunities in Adelaide

Guest poon5000

Guest poon5000

Hi,

My name is Simon from Hong Kong. My wife and my children are in Adelaide. My children are international students and studying in High School in Adelaide. I want to move there to take care of them. . I have a bachelor degree of Computer Science and over 15 years of proven industry experience in infrastructure architecture, data center, project management, and IT operations in country in the Asia Pacific and Japan regions. But my age is 43. I hope to get a working visa and find an IT job in Adelaide. Does anybody know any IT jobs opening in Adelaide and how to get a working visa? I am seeking for a role as an IT Project Manager / Network Manager / Network Engineer. Any comments on anything will help me get an IT job and working visa would be much appreciated.

Simon

Guest Claire-n-tel

Simon to be honest i think you would be very lucky to find an IT job whilst you are overseas, people who are here already are strugling......how are your wife and children here? do they have residency or what visa are they on?

Guest buckminsterfullerine97

Hi Simon,

You may try contacting some recruitment agencies in Australia. There are big recruitment agencies that facilitate processing of working visas especially for hard to fill in vacancies. There is a big need for project managers and business analysts in Australia..try contacting some of the recruitment agencies if they could help you get working visa...you may want to try Peoplebank recruitment agency. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Ron

Hi,

My name is Simon from Hong Kong. My wife and my children are in Adelaide. My children are international students and studying in High School in Adelaide. I want to move there to take care of them. . I have a bachelor degree of Computer Science and over 15 years of proven industry experience in infrastructure architecture, data center, project management, and IT operations in country in the Asia Pacific and Japan regions. But my age is 43. I hope to get a working visa and find an IT job in Adelaide. Does anybody know any IT jobs opening in Adelaide and how to get a working visa? I am seeking for a role as an IT Project Manager / Network Manager / Network Engineer. Any comments on anything will help me get an IT job and working visa would be much appreciated.

Simon

Guest ColinOz
Hi,

Simon

Don't bother, they are going to throw at you the usual "You have a really nice resume/CV but you don't have local experience/drivers licence/degree". and that's when you are here, when you send your resume from overseas they don't look at it. My advice to you would be to contact your wife and try a partner visa, that way you could get full working benefits.

Edited by ColinOz

Guest poon5000

First of all thank you for everybody advices. They are good here. My children are on student VISA and my wife is on Guardian VISA. I have CW bank account and SA drivers license. But I don't have local experience. It seems very hard to find a job in Adelaide. Anyway I will try contact Peoplebank recruitment agency.

Don't bother, they are going to throw at you the usual "You have a really nice resume/CV but you don't have local experience/drivers licence/degree". and that's when you are here, when you send your resume from overseas they don't look at it. My advice to you would be to contact your wife and try a partner visa, that way you could get full working benefits.

I can't agree with all you have said.

I have had many jobs here, and most (if not all) have required some driving, so if I don't have a DL then I wouldn't be of as much use to my company. As for a degree, usually they also say or relevant experience, this is how I have got work, as I don't have a degree, but I do have lots of real world experience.

From your posts I can see you are struggling (or have struggled, to find work, for which I sympathise, but your comments don't paint the true reflection of getting work in SA.

For the record, I work in IT too. I don't do exactly what I did in UK (or want to do now), often you have to do something slightly different to start with, and that's how other openings can appear.

Guest wada001

I have had many jobs here, and most (if not all) have required some driving, so if I don't have a DL then I wouldn't be of as much use to my company. As for a degree, usually they also say or relevant experience, this is how I have got work, as I don't have a degree, but I do have lots of real world experience.

From your posts I can see you are struggling (or have struggled, to find work, for which I sympathise, but your comments don't paint the true reflection of getting work in SA.

For the record, I work in IT too. I don't do exactly what I did in UK (or want to do now), often you have to do something slightly different to start with, and that's how other openings can appear.

Something to chew on at last! i have been having misgivings about making the move as i've only read about doom and gloom in the job market. I am a Network Engineer with a young family (wife & kids 4 n 2 yrs respectively) and we were granted our PR in Feb. I'm willing to take any job (even volunteer) just to put my foot in the door but i seem to get a lot of negative vibes here. In any case, its good to know positives exist and i'm taking that thought with me.

Guest BurgessFamily

My company just took two .Net developers on full time. Jobs are there, just don't bring too high expectations as wages can be pretty low in SA.

Guest ColinOz

Your comments don't paint the true reflection of getting work in SA neither, and I admit that it has been my personal experience and the one of many others that like me, don't come from an English speaking country, but please don't let that bring you down, I don't :wideeyed:, I think that all that struggle will make the day that I get a job a very special one :biglaugh:

I'm with you on this one Colin. I'm not in IT but I was at a SkillsSA forum and they had a senior guy from Ajjillon which is an IT recruitment company I'm sure you are familiar with. He was asked the question about Australian work experience. He said that over 90% of their clients require a minimum of two years Australian employment. Their advice was to find an immigrant friendly company and apply direct.

On the flip side, a friend is on his third job after 8 months and is now doing very well. Another friend got a job before she came out here.

We have lived in Adelaide for 7 years. My OH works in IT and has had no problems getting work and works at a much senior level and on a higher salary than in the UK. The company he currently works for recruits on a steady basis (due to growth in the company and also as people move around into other IT jobs) and has employed newly arrived migrants (of various nationalities), but like with every position they are looking for people with the correct skill set for the position they are recruiting, but also people with the right attitude and approach to work and also people who will fit into the company culture. This is no different to a lot of jobs, attitude and approach goes a long way.