IT Jobs & Recruitment Agencies in Adelaide

Guest Pom2Be

Absolutely untrue, or they'd be out of business:nah:

What a load of rubbish!! I know a lot of people who have had no luck with agencies. Are you sponsored by them to fight their corner?

Imo, you are being disrespectful!

A lot of people, and most people, are two different things....

Yes, of course, it's disrectful to disagree :huh:

I was meaning about you having a go at the o/p and saying that they are whinging. Just because their experience isn't the same as yours, doesn't make it wrong. You said in a previous post that it was good to have a balanced opinion, yet you are intent on rubbishing the o/p's experience. What a hypocrite! :realmad:

Some people have had good experiences with recruitment agencies, some people have had bad experiences...thats life, it is not however a chance to start slagging people off for there opinions or experiences.

I will leave this thread open for now but if it continues to be a 'fighting ring' then I will have no choice but to close it.

For what its worth....

If a recruitment agency has a current vacancy and you have the matching skills then they are your best friend. If they don't have a current vacancy for you it can be a struggle and they are generally poor in getting back to you or providing updates (that's my experience here and the UK).

Yes, agencies make their money from taking a regular % of the rate paid by the employer and yes they also take a % lump sum if the employer takes you on directly (that's life). However you can and should negotiate to get the best rate for yourself.

I have had excellent service from the agencies (Hudson & Hays) in Adelaide mainly through building up a working relationship with specific individuals on a face-to-face basis (although the interaction started from the UK).

Cheers

Chris

• 2 months later...
Guest rachel23

Hi All...

We are currently in SA and came in on 457 sponsorship - like the original poster, my husband is MCSE, & CCNA... actually almost identical skills...

We came on a tourist visa in 2008, and spent a few months contacting agencies... most of them wouldn't even give him an interview, or seem very interested on the phone because he didn't have a current work visa... we just kept on posting his CV everywhere (seek, careerone etc.) and one day out of the blue, just a few days before our visitor visa expired, we got a call from a recruiter who approached the major IT companies, and got a bite from a great training company who had various needs and hadn't even advertised the position yet... they were delighted to hear of someone so well qualified... the recruiter set up an interview in another city... we floew over, we got a job offer within 48 hours and went back to India and waited for the visa to come through. It only took a couple of months.... we were truly amazed. Of course, what made it possible was being here, with a mobile phone and the ability to go to interview...

This was before the GFC hit the world, and of course the % of 457 sponsorships are far fewer now (we arrived Oct last year).

But my main point is... don't give up... be diligent... and if you can spare the time to come for a look at aus and research the recruiters and main industry players before you come... you could be lucky.

Do you think between us we could put together a list of the main recruiters for IT and IT employers for SA in order to help people save time of identifying them??? Is that within the bounds of the rules for this forum.

My husband has just lost his job by the way and we have 28 days to find another one or we have to leave the country... this is the reality and downside to work visas and you have to ask yourself whether you are prepared to take such a risk in coming here... so in some ways I could do with ensuring we have covered the whole spectrum of leads myself... how about it @Pom2Be?? Anyone??

Hi All...

We are currently in SA and came in on 457 sponsorship - like the original poster, my husband is MCSE, & CCNA... actually almost identical skills...

We came on a tourist visa in 2008, and spent a few months contacting agencies... most of them wouldn't even give him an interview, or seem very interested on the phone because he didn't have a current work visa... we just kept on posting his CV everywhere (seek, careerone etc.) and one day out of the blue, just a few days before our visitor visa expired, we got a call from a recruiter who approached the major IT companies, and got a bite from a great training company who had various needs and hadn't even advertised the position yet... they were delighted to hear of someone so well qualified... the recruiter set up an interview in another city... we floew over, we got a job offer within 48 hours and went back to India and waited for the visa to come through. It only took a couple of months.... we were truly amazed. Of course, what made it possible was being here, with a mobile phone and the ability to go to interview...

This was before the GFC hit the world, and of course the % of 457 sponsorships are far fewer now (we arrived Oct last year).

But my main point is... don't give up... be diligent... and if you can spare the time to come for a look at aus and research the recruiters and main industry players before you come... you could be lucky.

Do you think between us we could put together a list of the main recruiters for IT and IT employers for SA in order to help people save time of identifying them??? Is that within the bounds of the rules for this forum.

My husband has just lost his job by the way and we have 28 days to find another one or we have to leave the country... this is the reality and downside to work visas and you have to ask yourself whether you are prepared to take such a risk in coming here... so in some ways I could do with ensuring we have covered the whole spectrum of leads myself... how about it @Pom2Be?? Anyone??

your post is really very very encouraging, can you kindly send me the list of major IT and IT employers for SA you can mail me umermemon@hotmail.com or send me a personal message through PIA

Hi Rachel,

I am really sorry but in all honesty I cannot say I've ever had a good experience with a recruitment agency so I cannot say I know of a "good one".

Having said that I am sure other people here have had success so best to ask them to list their agencies and send you contact details.

Try these folks if you're looking for IT contract work

Cameron Agnew at Hays - Cameron.Agnew@hays.com.au

Paul Alland at The Tennyson Group - paul.alland@ttg.com.au

Rick Sharma at Talent2 - rick.sharma@talent2.com

Matt Beazley at Hudson - matt.beazley@hudson.com

Calvin Ebeneezer at - cebenezer@candle.com.au

My current contract is through The Tennyson Group, although all of them were very similar when speaking to them - I've met all of them personally as well.

If you're an experienced contractor in the UK you won't find these guys much different in the way they operate and the way they treat you to the guys in the UK.

Good luck job hunting

Phil

Thanks Phill, What kind of job you do,

I am also IT professional and have Resident Visa, eligible to work in Australia. I have masters degree from Thailand have OCA with 3+ years of Development Experience in VB, SQL, Crystal Reports and connectivity of applications with Oracle/ SQL Server. About to give .net certification in a month or two so I can switch myself from Vb to .net technology.

Please let me know if any kind of opportunities are available in SA for IT professionals with such backgrounds and what are pay scales.

Try these folks if you're looking for IT contract work

Cameron Agnew at Hays - Cameron.Agnew@hays.com.au

Paul Alland at The Tennyson Group - paul.alland@ttg.com.au

Rick Sharma at Talent2 - rick.sharma@talent2.com

Matt Beazley at Hudson - matt.beazley@hudson.com

Calvin Ebeneezer at - cebenezer@candle.com.au

My current contract is through The Tennyson Group, although all of them were very similar when speaking to them - I've met all of them personally as well.

If you're an experienced contractor in the UK you won't find these guys much different in the way they operate and the way they treat you to the guys in the UK.

Good luck job hunting

Phil

I do a lot of java enterprise development, but Adelaide seems to be more Microsoft biased, so you shouldn't struggle if you have that sort of background. Drop those guys an email with your CV, although they mostly deal with Java, they all have colleagues who deal with the Microsoft side of things and will pass your details on. There's a fair bit of government work around in Adelaide, plus utility companies and some in the finance industry - talk to the agents, they'll let you know what's going on when you arrive.

Money wise, it depends on your experience, what level you go in at and whether you contract or go for a permanent role. I can only give you figures for what I do and what I was told by the agencies.

Permanent roles for a senior developer/Technical lead were anywhere from $75-$100k for permanent, contract rates were $55-$90/hour depending on the client. I'd imagine they'd be similar for .net work for a similar level role.

You'd probably come in as an ordinary developer so rates/salaries will be a bit less - I and others have found you have to take a step back in order to get your foot in the door, so I went from doing Architect/Technical Lead type roles back to senior developer. I'm not really complaining, there's a lot to do when you first arrive here and you don't really need a hard and challenging job as soon as you get here.

Hope that helps.

Phil

• 3 years later...
We need more balanced posts like this to give a true picture of life in Oz.

Hi, can any one help . im planning to move to SA by next year apprx may2014 with my family , what would be the best qualification to have in IT to fetch a suitable and reasonable job .. what agencies to contace for recruitment purposess .. thanks