Guest heather&dean

Items you couldn't do without

Guest heather&dean

Hi

Is there anything practical that you wish you'd brought out with you, or glad you did bring with you, that is difficult or expensive to buy in Adelaide?

Our container goes on 9th December and would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks, Dean

Guest Guest75

Not much for us.

I'd fetch some 4 way sockets if you have a big stereo or pc set up - saves changing too many plugs.

Don't ditch the coats or cold weather gear - it does get cold here ;)

I should have brought more of my gardening stuff as a lot of gear here seems a bit cheap and nasty.

It would have to be immaculate + stink of Jeyes Fluid!

Bring as much quality bedding as you can(covers and sheets)as its very expensive here for good quality bedding.Be aware though that there are double,queen and king size beds here,same with single beds. Quality Cosmetics are more expensive also,so stock up.

Guest Here at last!

I agree with the bedding, we have a super king bed and the bedding here just doesn't fit properly.

If you have young children, I would say Pampers nappies and wipes. The nappies here just don't compare!

Guest PhilC

Might be stating the obvious, but bring a laptop - they are more expensive to buy over here and you will need one pretty much everyday to research stuff.

Phil

PS Don't forget plug adapters

Guest pauljoinoz

Glad we bought a new Dyson hoover as about $700 here! Just bring as much as you can as it saves replacing it all when you get here!

Where from Essex are you?

Guest Rob and Clare

Maybe we've just never looked properly over here, but those summer / winter duvets... The winters are cold and the extra togs would be nice. but the spring / autumn are nice with a normal duvet, and the summer is either a sheet or something light.

Guest WoodMartin

If you get new stuff, remember that everything under 12 months old needs to be declared, with a value, to customs.

We did actually declare a few things which were new and in packaging (brand new Wii games for example) but did not get billed anything though - there may be an allowance or maybe as it was not too much we were 'let off' as the cost of billing would be more than the tax owed?

Ali

Guest angiestaff

i would def' agree with the people who stated to buy bedding/sheets/duvets etc... i'd advise to go to george at asda and buy loads of covers/sheets etc.. mind you i did get a bargain at kmart and found a queen duvet cover + pillows for $5! :jiggy:

ange

Guest mayjess

I would say the pots & pans were quite expensive, so bring a good set with you, I have just had a good shipping quote because I know now what i dont need over there & what I do need, so saving quite a bit that way.

Mayjess

Guest allie

clothes!!!!!! buy as much as you can carry before you come here as they are veryyyy expensive and the quality is shocking sometimes. def stock up on vests, underwear and shorts for the summer months and keep all your winter clothes for the colder months.

Bedding - totally agree that it is much more expensive here and again, the quality isnt the best.

Maybe even buy some outdoor furniture in the summer sales in the uk - it might be cheaper than buying it here.

Good luck with all the packing!

Allie :)

Guest pauljoinoz

Defo agree with pots & pans we bought new ones b4 we came for £129 the exact same set here is $900!!!!!! If u have kids rash tops in lots of sizes as dearer here & we stocked up on toiletries whilst on bogofs been here 11 months & still haven't run out!

Guest heather&dean

Thank you all so much for your useful posts. Our container is coming on 9th December and your suggestions have been added to our list. Pots for $900.......scary!!!

Guest The Pickles

M&S underwear and toiletries! Even the toiletries here that appear the same aren't and are expensive (e.g. John Frieda shampoo, probably 4 quid each and generally on offer in Boots, here they sell for $18 each!)!

Clothes are expensive and generally not great quality, especially children's clothes.

Go shopping!!

I was slated in another post but I will say it again, don't worry (too) much about extension leads, spend a day and change all the plugs ASAP. It really is much better than unsightly extension cables everywhere.

Guest ben&sharon
    I was slated in another post but I will say it again, don't worry (too) much about extension leads, spend a day and change all the plugs ASAP. It really is much better than unsightly extension cables everywhere.

I agree, actually - it doesn't take long to change them and the plugs are as cheap as chips. I'd be a little nervous about over-loading circuits as well; I blew ours in the first week of being here. They don't seem to be as resilient as those in the UK.....

I think (I am not an electrical expert), that the circuits go more here due to plugs not having fuses. In UK an individual a plug's fuse will go before the whole circuit.

Guest Rachel & Jeff

One thing I regret chucking out is my step-ladders. The ones I have bought here were twice the price, twice the weight and don't have a platform at the top to rest my paint tin or bucket on.

Rachel

Guest theforrests

If you have one, I would also bring your tumble dryer. I am kicking myself that I left mine in the UK - and they are much more expensive here.

Guest sharkbiscuit

We have a kingsize mattress and thought we'd buy a new bed base when we got here - but they don't really have kingsize!? Even Ikea only go up to queen size! Bring as much as you can stuff in the container, as if you have a new Aussie house with more space you'll probably end up buying more to fill it up anyway! good luck