UK Pound v Aus Dollar

Guest Chelseadownunder

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weather may be better tomorrow than it was today. It may also be better in the UK than it is here in the next few days.

The above post is not meant to be used when going out shopping and deciding what to wear :biglaugh:

In all seriousness,what insight did you get? I have searched and can't find the info on any RSS or other news feeds.

FYI

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/currency/11/15/default.stm

Guest Chelseadownunder

The point of this thread has always been to try to help fellow members. But it seems whatever you post someone has to make negative comments. Thanks guys. I will carry on posting for all the people that have thanked me for this thread.

The point of this thread has always been to try to help fellow members. But it seems whatever you post someone has to make negative comments. Thanks guys. I will carry on posting for all the people that have thanked me for this thread.

Can you please show us where you heard the info. As requested days ago.

Maybe it will be true, maybe it won't. Nobody knows the future. I don't pretend to, but I do believe the $ will stay strong for the next 3-6 months.

So far, since you posted that 'insight' it has looked a daft statement though hasn't it, as the $ soars?

Nothing personal, but giving $ advice is risky. Currencies are a volatile market, you can make money quickly, but also lose it just as quick.

Guest Guest75

Hi Steven (Chelseadownunder)

I have removed a few posts in this thread that were a bit nonsensical .:skeptical:

If you feel any posts are intended to wind you up or destroy the thread please let one of the mod team know.:cute:

Guest Chelseadownunder

Thanks Tyke, I am glad your there to moderate. Guys we are all in this together and my posts are only here to try to add any insite I can give.

As well as my occupation I also am a keen trader and Technical Analyst.

The last detailed post came from information that was presented at a recent financial planners conference I attended. I must admit I was surprised that they didnt go all guns praising the Aussie dollar as this always seems to be the case, but there was a little caution.

Anything can happen in the markets and sometimes some of the biggest moves up are at the end of a rally.

What was said was that it is likely we will see a return to the norm in the medium term.

It seems a bit odd but one baromiter that is used is the price of a "Big Mac" in all the countrys of the world. In Australia thay have one of the most expensive "Big Macs" in the world right now.

In the UK it seems mad that you could buy consumerbles and hold them rather than put the money in the bank and over time you could potentialy save more money due to the inflation rate.

I am not advising this its just an observation that there is an imbalance that will need to be adressed. I think this is why we are seeing a shift towards a possible vote to increase rates in the UK.

Now a small move in rates you may think might do nothing but look at the time Australia dropped their interest rate by one percent a couple of years ago. That was the week we hit $2.70.

The worlds changed a million miles from then but big moves can happen on the back of rate rises.

I am like so many of you, hoping for a rise in the pound and It looks so far off at present. Hopfully things will change soon.

This should not be taken as financial advice. Thanks Guys.

Thanks Tyke, I am glad your there to moderate. Guys we are all in this together and my posts are only here to try to add any insite I can give.

As well as my occupation I also am a keen trader and Technical Analyst.

The last detailed post came from information that was presented at a recent financial planners conference I attended. I must admit I was surprised that they didnt go all guns praising the Aussie dollar as this always seems to be the case, but there was a little caution.

Anything can happen in the markets and sometimes some of the biggest moves up are at the end of a rally.

What was said was that it is likely we will see a return to the norm in the medium term.

It seems a bit odd but one baromiter that is used is the price of a "Big Mac" in all the countrys of the world. In Australia thay have one of the most expensive "Big Macs" in the world right now.

In the UK it seems mad that you could buy consumerbles and hold them rather than put the money in the bank and over time you could potentialy save more money due to the inflation rate.

I am not advising this its just an observation that there is an imbalance that will need to be adressed. I think this is why we are seeing a shift towards a possible vote to increase rates in the UK.

Now a small move in rates you may think might do nothing but look at the time Australia dropped their interest rate by one percent a couple of years ago. That was the week we hit $2.70.

The worlds changed a million miles from then but big moves can happen on the back of rate rises.

I am like so many of you, hoping for a rise in the pound and It looks so far off at present. Hopfully things will change soon.

This should not be taken as financial advice. Thanks Guys.

I admire how much you cover you bases.

The pound has been weak for a year of so, the UK is still in dire straits.

Anyhow (no wind ups), I am totally in love with the strong $, it helps me no end.

You still haven't mentioned who the person(s) were who said the stuff you have quoted. Please do, then I can research and see if they should be taken seriously...as you know as well as I do ...many people who talk at seminars about possibilities have no real idea as to what will happen.

I could tell a story about my financial planner, a well respected man, trying to give me advice, he got annoyed when I stood up to him...if I had listened to him, I would have lost approx 30% of my super fund.....

Admittedly not everyone is as clued up as I am on all matters......but I am just fortunate to be such a clever fellah :P

Guest Guest5035

Stevo, and Tyke, re my original reply which has been deleted, pointed out that there was a "may do this and may do that", but in fact it didn't, as quoted in my other reply where it said the AU $ was soaring to record highs, so how can it be negative when it was the truth.

Please do carry on posting, but don't build peoples hopes up with "mays" lots of people can be vunerable when it comes to money

stevo

Guest Chelseadownunder

I feel I need to make a further comment on this thread.

I have said good and bad things from time to time about the aussie dollar.

I would not like to be in the position of being seen as trying to build up peoples hopes and dashing them. I was speaking above about the medium term not tomorrow.

Anything could happen with exchange rates despite what I write or anyone writes or thinks, if this wasnt the case we would all be millionaires.

All I am trying to do is make some sense of whats going on as best I can.

I could just think, I am fed up with all the nockers above and not post again. Its almost like some people like to jump in with the negatives. Glass half full.....

Well to the nockers, I will keep posting for all the people that have thanked me for this post. Its not one of the largest viewed financial posts on this site for nothing. I will continue to spend time on these posts to try and help the majority where I can.

Regards

Steve

I will keep posting for all the people that have thanked me for this post
What about new people? :biglaugh:

The point being, if the dollar keeps rising like it is at present and in 3 months drops again to what it was 2 weeks ago, the dollar hasn't dropped like you are saying it possibly will.

The truth is, NOBODY HAS A CLUE as to what will happen in the future, so advising to those who look for guidance is not advisable on a forum, I suggest people talk directly to an adviser. Then they can get a feel to as to why guesses are being made.

Guest Guest75
What about new people? :biglaugh:

The point being, if the dollar keeps rising like it is at present and in 3 months drops again to what it was 2 weeks ago, the dollar hasn't dropped like you are saying it possibly will.

The truth is, NOBODY HAS A CLUE as to what will happen in the future, so advising to those who look for guidance is not advisable on a forum, I suggest people talk directly to an adviser. Then they can get a feel to as to why guesses are being made.

(sigh)

I think everyone with any iota of intelligence will read this thread and at least be cautious. Without others telling them what to do.

There are plenty of Mays/Could and Perhaps in this thread.:skeptical:

(sigh)

I think everyone with any iota of intelligence will read this thread and at least be cautious. Without others telling them what to do.

There are plenty of Mays/Could and Perhaps in this thread.:skeptical:

I suppose sighing at me is better than getting another mod to kick me..........:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest Guest75
I suppose sighing at me is better than getting another mod to kick me..........:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

So your ankle got a seeing to on Saturday night??

I was willing to loan out my steel toe capped boots.

Guest Guest75
It did, but you wait until you see your fellow mod, what you will get in return is a lot more painful :P:p:p

Aye' appen - if yer think yer ard enuf!!

(spellchecker just thrown a wobbly)

Note to Steve - I'll delete this Off topic chat later ;)

Guest Chelseadownunder

If it helps shed a bit more light. Allot of the info I have provided is used by currency traders to try to predict currency movement. Also some info came from an investment house which had no benefit to gain by saying what they did.

I am very cautious of investment house views, as I know some can be biased, but they backed up what they said with relevent points.

I think some on this site obviously have way too much time on there hands and unfortuanately my time is limited so I dont have time for this. Thank God we have moderaters like Tyke otherwise this site would go to pot.

If it helps shed a bit more light. Allot of the info I have provided is used by currency traders to try to predict currency movement. Also some info came from an investment house which had no benefit to gain by saying what they did.

I am very cautious of investment house views, as I know some can be biased, but they backed up what they said with relevent points.

I think some on this site obviously have way too much time on there hands and unfortuanately my time is limited so I dont have time for the "silly" posters. Thank God we have moderaters like Tyke otherwise this site would go to pot.

Steve you are the silly one, your name proves the point (The Chelsea part) :biglaugh:

I am giving an alternative point of view, that you don't agree with, I am not picking on you but general advice that I don't think can or should be trusted. The fact you don't like it you shouldn't call me a silly poster.

Please find time to disprove my points and state why they are silly?

Good debate is beneficial to everyone.

(Tyke please leave this post, it is not causing trouble)

Guest Chelseadownunder

I welcome comments, but if I wrote on here the sky is blue, someone would write its bluey green.

My comments are observations not advice.

Guest Guest75

Here endeth the pedantics and difference of opinion over semantics.

Any more and all posts of a contentious nature will be removed without notice.

:skeptical:

Guest Chelseadownunder

This week is a big week for news that could affect Sterling and the Aussie dollar.

UK Construction PMI Today. The cash rate in Australia tomorrow as well as Halifax House price index figures. Thursday Australia Employment change figures and the UK bank rate descision.....

Could be an interesting week....all these factors can affect the currencys.

I am out of my depth can you help? Why does a currency change from day to day?

I 'thought' it was always due to things being announced.

For example if UK and AUS didn't have any news (like on xmas day) wouldn't the rate stay exactly the same?

If I am right, every day things happen that can effect the rate? Therfore every day's announcements can cause fluctuations?

As I said I am no expert, although many think I am due to what I post......so can you help us amateurs.

Guest Chelseadownunder

Some news will have little effect on currency but the following have more of an effect.

For example UK Construction PMI Today they are expecting 54.7 if the figure is more than the forecast this is generally good for a currency.

The cash rate in Australia tomorrow as well expected is 4.75% if its higher this can be good for the Aussie Dollar. Halifax House price index figures 0.2% expected higher good for the pound lower not so good. Thursday Australia Employment change figures and the UK bank rate decision.....and so it goes on.

I guess some may pass with no effect. Shock announcements can move the currencies much more.

Bank rates can have a major effect if the move is not widely expected.

I hope this helps.

Loads of news is due this week which should make it interesting anyway.

Steve

(This is not meant as Financial Advice and should not be taken as such)